Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High end reels worth the money  (Read 278 times)

Burbarry

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
High end reels worth the money
« on: May 14, 2020, 06:33:12 PM »

Iíve normally bought mid range bait casters $100-200 range. My question is are the $300-500 reels worth the money? What are the real benefits gained? Which brands have best warranty service? I only get out maybe 3-5 times a month but usually out from sunrise to sunset unless Iím frying then around 3-4pm. I love almost all styles of fishing so would want one to be multi function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
Re: High end reels worth the money
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 07:01:16 PM »

Iíve normally bought mid range bait casters $100-200 range. My question is are the $300-500 reels worth the money? What are the real benefits gained? Which brands have best warranty service? I only get out maybe 3-5 times a month but usually out from sunrise to sunset unless Iím frying then around 3-4pm. I love almost all styles of fishing so would want one to be multi function.

I own a high end reel, (+$400 ) is it a really good reel? Yep!! Will I buy more? Nope. The bulk of my reels are in the $180-$250 range and they are great reels.  I would rather spend more $$ on a better rod, than a more expensive reel. But that's me.

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 09:44:31 PM »

I'm of the same mindset that I'd rather spend the money on the rod, not the reel.  My most expensive casting reel is a Lews Pro-Ti that I think I paid $190 for on sale.  Great reel for the money and the priciest reel I own.

Fun4me

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 05:35:22 AM »

"Worth the money" is very subjective IMO. What's worth the money to me, might be be outrageous to others. High end reels are a lot like other "high end" products. They appeal to some, and not to others.

Here's an example that has little to do with fishing. I own a $500 dollar pocket knife. Do I need a pocket knife that expensive? Hell no, but I enjoy the knife because I care about the things it offers. Does the knife cut better, hold an edge longer, etc. than a $100 knife? In some cases yes, in some cases no. I like the knife because it's made with very tight tolerances, it's fully USA made (which is important to me) and there is some pride of ownership involved. Meaning I don't need it, but I like it and can afford it. This concept occurs with most all of us for dang near everything in our lives like homes, cars, clothes etc.

Back to high end reels. If you enjoy what they have to offer then a lot of fisherman would say they are worth the money. There's also a curve of diminishing returns to consider as well. The difference between a $20 reel and a $100 reel can be huge. The difference between a $250 reel and a $500 reel can be less so. I might feel a huge difference between a Black Max and a Curado, but not as much between a Curado and a Metanium. But If I value things that I feel are better, for whatever reason, then buying it is "worth the money" Having said that, the only way you will know if a higher end reel is something that you would enjoy is to buy one and find out, or find someone that would let you try theirs. Tight lines.

Burbarry

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 07:22:16 AM »

I agree I have a lot of things that are higher end that bring me joy. Maybe some of them are past the point of any real benefit. Iím also working on upgrading rods to higher end as I agree thereís a very noticeable difference. I used to use the $90-125 range on rods. I bought one that was $250 and wow I can feel every little thing on the bottom now. Before I could tell there was something down there but now itís a game changer. I just need one more reel for that high end rod. After that every upgrade will be working towards a full set. Iíve been looking at the Shimano DC and daiwa Tatula. Iíve used the DC with a guide and love how they cast. But Iíve heard sometimes the electronic break can go out. I just wonder how fast they would replace it.

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 07:22:31 AM »

I thought I was have deja vu all over again. lo

Here's another thread that was started by HydrillaGorillaHunter  the end of April.

I believe with many reels the value starts around $100 and the quality and performance continues up into the $250 range. Beyond that the differences aren't that much. With maybe one exception most of my reels are in the $150-$200 range and most were bought on sale.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »

When you get into the higher end reels, most of the time its due to weight. Light materials like magnesium for the frame. This helps in transmitting vibrations to your hand. So, reels like the Metanium, Steez, TDZ, etc accel with this particular application of bottom contact lures.

Personally, Ive been through many reels in many brands from the budget to the high end to find what the fuss may be. I can say, that if you are gonna go high end, go Daiwa. The fact that you have a spool swapping capability far passes Shimano in that aspect.

I think the reels that you can purchase between $120 to $200 are just fine for fishing just about anything.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 07:53:30 AM »

While the majority of my reels are on the higher end, I would honestly say that any $150-200 reel will serve anyone just fine. I consider myself a bit of a tackle junkie and I enjoy having the finer things, so for that I do buy the higher end stuff. But I really don't think I'd catch any less/more fish using a $150-200 reel. Spend your money as you see fit.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 24 queries.