Bladed Jig Rod

Started by FlatsNBay, May 17, 2020, 08:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

I've been fishing bladed jigs more and more so I'm thinking about going with a designated rod for the technique. Last week I was able to put my current set up to the test on a private guide trip at Vero Trophy Bass Lakes where we really got into the fish. I was finding that I was losing quite a bit on my current set up, a 7-0 MH with 15 lb. Fluorocarbon, or on my MH 734 with braid. I was thinking of going to my crankbait rod, also with FC. I was reading that there's 2 schools of thought when fishing a chatterbait, a glass or glass composite crankbait rod with FC or a MH rod with FC or braid. I'm going to try my crankbait rod for a while and see how I like it.

What's your favorite type of rod for chatterbait/bladed jigs?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

I too had experienced losing fish on a bladed jig.  Not being one to have a lot of different presentation specific rods, I tried to compensate with reel settings.  What seems to have helped significantly was when I loosened up my drag.  I surmise that it may be taking away some of the fishes ability to exert leverage against the bait.  Now I don't know if this is the deal or not, I can only say that fish loss seems to be a bit less.  My typical rod to throw bladed jigs is a Dobyns 705CB although perhaps a 704 might be better.  OK so this is my 2 cents that probably is not the kind of answer you might have expected.  One thing for sure it makes the fight a bit more exciting.

Smallie_Stalker

My absolute favorite bladed jig rod is a Dobyns DC 736 CB Glass which as you probably already know is a composite rod. Gary designed this rod specifically for fishing blades jigs.

My second favorite is  Dobyns Sierra SA 734 C. It's graphite but has a slightly slower tip than other Dobyns lines for the same model numbers.

I fish braid on both rods.

I believe that a slower tip is key on a bladed jig rod in that it keeps from pulling the bait away from the fish when you detect a strike.

Both of these rods have that slower tip to allow that extra second or two for the fish to really take your jig while at the same time having more than enough power and backbone to rip the bait free from grass if you get snagged.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FlatsNBay

Thanks Smallie. I may give it some time on the 734 since it's got a softer tip. I definitely think the 704 is not the right rod after a fair trial.

big g

I seldom think about a rod for a specific lure.  I have a 7.2 heavy for flipping.  7 medium heavy for plastics and jigs.  I have 5 of those.  A light spinning for finesse situations.  Most reels are high speed retrieve.  That's about as complicated as I get.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Pipepro

I guess it depends on how you fish a bladed jig. I throw a 1/2 oz jackhammer with a 4" Zako as a trailer. I fish it fast with an erratic retrieve and I use a Hammer rods 6'9" Heavy. Paired with my Curado DC and 30# Vicious braid its a fish catching machine. I dont understand the "feeling the bite" or taking it away from the fish idea. Almost every bite I get from this combo is savage, and there is no doubt when you get bit.

I was under the impression that the slower action rods, with a more parabolic bend were designed for smaller treble hooked baits, where too much tip can pull the hook free. The bladed jigs I use have a big heavy single hook and I like the heavy fast rod to pull them away from the cover Im fishing in.

Just my .02
2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Donald Garner

I fish my bladed jigs on a Bass Pro Shop Extreme 7ft (MH) Fast tip casting rod.  The reel is a Abu Garcia Revo S with 20lb Berkley Big Game Clear Mono Line.  My Bladed Jigs are 3/8oz KaRue Vibrashocks.  Sometimes I have a trailer on them and sometimes I don't.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

loomisguy

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 17, 2020, 08:12:13 AM
I've been fishing bladed jigs more and more so I'm thinking about going with a designated rod for the technique. Last week I was able to put my current set up to the test on a private guide trip at Vero Trophy Bass Lakes where we really got into the fish. I was finding that I was losing quite a bit on my current set up, a 7-0 MH with 15 lb. Fluorocarbon, or on my MH 734 with braid. I was thinking of going to my crankbait rod, also with FC. I was reading that there's 2 schools of thought when fishing a chatterbait, a glass or glass composite crankbait rod with FC or a MH rod with FC or braid. I'm going to try my crankbait rod for a while and see how I like it.

What's your favorite type of rod for chatterbait/bladed jigs?

Did you fish with Brent Anderson ?

RangerAndBass

I love fishing blades jigs. I've caught my biggest bass on them. All while fishing Okeechobee. I qualify this as I am fishing in reeds, grass, hydrilla,  etc. I can not imagine fishing with a crank bait rod. I believe any time I've tried a softer MH rod its cost me fish. I want to hammer the hook on and get the fish to the boat.
If I'm fishing for smallies in the north I would use MH, but still wouldn't use floro or mono unless as a leader.
Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

FlatsNBay

Loomis Guy,

Yes, I was fishing with Brent Anderson from Vero Trophy Bass Lakes.

loomisguy

I'm jealous, I really want to make that trip.. Brent seems like a great guy.

hydrillagorillahunter

i run ONLY two bladed jigs and that's the jackhammer and thunder cricket.  i run on a 6'10" MH-fast with 14lb sniper and have never had problems; pull in 3-5s on a regular basis.  sniper has less stretch so it seems to work.  for sensitivity though you just can't beat braid to leader.  i've ran as low as a 12lb mono leader without any problems, and that's using 20lb braid as well. 

loomisguy

Anyway, I throw them on a blended blank. Some guys like glass. I don't throw them a lot around here but if I were in Fl. I think I'd go with something over 7ft and fairly moderate.
I've heard good things about the Alpha Angler chatterbait rod ,7ft 2 blend and the Evergreen Brett Hite.

FlatsNBay

Great advice. Thanks for all the input.

chrisD46

* I wonder if the switch from braid to say #15 lb. mono or co-poly line using a Sierra 734c. would allow for an even more forgiving approach to bladed jigs OR are you doing just fine with your Sierra 734c. set up using braid ?
Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on May 17, 2020, 09:04:49 AM
My absolute favorite bladed jig rod is a Dobyns DC 736 CB Glass which as you probably already know is a composite rod. Gary designed this rod specifically for fishing blades jigs.

My second favorite is  Dobyns Sierra SA 734 C. It's graphite but has a slightly slower tip than other Dobyns lines for the same model numbers.

I fish braid on both rods.

I believe that a slower tip is key on a bladed jig rod in that it keeps from pulling the bait away from the fish when you detect a strike.

Both of these rods have that slower tip to allow that extra second or two for the fish to really take your jig while at the same time having more than enough power and backbone to rip the bait free from grass if you get snagged.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

chrisD46

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 17, 2020, 10:37:41 AM
Thanks Smallie. I may give it some time on the 734 since it's got a softer tip. I definitely think the 704 is not the right rod after a fair trial.

*Would a Sierra 733c. be better for you as a bladed jig rod ?

FlatsNBay

I'm not sure. I'm using Powell Rods.

bro_drey

Blades jigs are chatterbaits correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bro_drey

Quote from: chrisD46 on June 03, 2020, 01:58:57 AM
*Would a Sierra 733c. be better for you as a bladed jig rod ?
I like a stiffer action rod for chatterbaits like 4 or 5 power maybe it's just me but if you fish a chatterbait for a while ( over an hour straight) it can be uncomfortable if not using a strong enough rod

BarryFL

Quote from: bro_drey on June 06, 2020, 02:35:03 PM
Blades jigs are chatterbaits correct?

Correct.

~Barry~

~Barry~

FISHMD

Quote from: Donald Garner on May 17, 2020, 06:45:41 PM
I fish my bladed jigs on a Bass Pro Shop Extreme 7ft (MH) Fast tip casting rod.  The reel is a Abu Garcia Revo S with 20lb Berkley Big Game Clear Mono Line.  My Bladed Jigs are 3/8oz KaRue Vibrashocks.  Sometimes I have a trailer on them and sometimes I don't.

I was using the Dobyns Fury 705CB but it felt a little underpowered for the bladed jig with a 3.75 KVD Rage Swimmer so I recently started using the BP Extreme 7ft MH and it handles the cast better but I haven't gotten bit on it yet to evaluate it. Was wondering how well the Extreme keeps the fish pinned on bladed jigs?