Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Step Installed on Boat Trailer  (Read 340 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
New Step Installed on Boat Trailer
« on: May 18, 2020, 11:53:43 AM »

Since my trailer is a bit custom it does not set up well for traditional step products on the market today.  I wish it did but alas, it is what it is.  The trailer company offers a single step to act as an assist while climbing in the boat during launch.  I am kinda short so I thought anything would help.  Although I am not thrilled this step will get the job done should the time come where climbing in the boat is a bit too much for me.  Here are some pictures of the installation.  I have a few design ideas to talk to the builder about when I have the trailer in for hub service in a few weeks.  Perhaps this is not the final product that i  want.

WTodd

• Charter Member
Re: New Step Installed on Boat Trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »

Interesting Bud.... I like the simplicity of it; how wide is it?  1 1/2Ē?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 12:41:04 PM »

Yep, about that maybe 2" but no more than that.  This is one of my design questions.  It would be better if this could be wider to accomodate my foot.  I tried it out and it is ok but an OK rating would be the best I could do at this time.  As you see the way the trailer is made and the position of the spare tire there is just no room for something more traditional.  We considered other places to mount the spare but it just did not work out.  I thought for sure we could mount it on the port side but then the winch handle would hit the spare tire.  The width of the trailer just does not allow to move the spare back like my old ranger trailer did.  I guess this is one of the things you think about after the fact.   lo

WTodd

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 01:49:01 PM »

My spare is under the bow so mine is out of the way (itís more of a pain when you need it though). A 3Ē wide plate would work fine. I have some 3Ē X 1/4Ē aluminum flat bar thatís perfect if I could figure out how to mount it (Iím just started thinking about it so I havenít come up with the solution yet). I canít bend this bar so thatís out of the question.  I put the step idea on hold because I didnít want to spend $3-400 on it but the simplicity of yours has me rethinking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pipepro

• Charter Member
  • Welding fool
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 01:55:01 PM »

Bud,

It looks like the winch post is plenty long. If youre not planning on this trailer fitting a different boat you could have your builder cut it down and add a forward facing strut support. Off of that you could put some steps and walk straight up the bow. Here is a quick pic of what I mean:

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 02:29:48 PM »

PIPEPRO, here is another picture that might depict just how close everything is.  As you see the spare tire is not in a good spot and as you see this is a very heavy duty trailer.

Pipepro

• Charter Member
  • Welding fool
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 02:47:56 PM »

PIPEPRO, here is another picture that might depict just how close everything is.  As you see the spare tire is not in a good spot and as you see this is a very heavy duty trailer.

It sure looks beefy! Im sure you could get a sandwich plate on the tongue and some u bolt attachment to the winchpost. Something like this with the top step just clearing the edge of the tire. Wish I was closer, I could measure that up and come up with something that would work for you.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 03:03:04 PM »

I just saved your sketch and will present it to the trailer builder as a possible solution to my needs.  I think this might just do the trick.  Thanks for the Idea.

Pipepro

• Charter Member
  • Welding fool
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 03:06:43 PM »

Youre welcome! Hope he can help you out. I didnt think I would like mine as much as I do. Have him add a hand hold of some kind if possible. After putting them on, I wont be without them again.

Rangerman

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 07:08:46 PM »

Not tring to high jack but I have a set of Trick Step for Ranger bass boat. Like new all hard ware included compare at $489.00  Want $399.00 Local pick up only cash I will install if needed, about a 15 minute job with hand tools. ;D ;D ;D Just I'm me or call the bat phone lo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.