Help for new angler on which rod for which setup

Started by NYCBhoy, May 18, 2020, 02:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCBhoy

Hi there. Thanks in advance.

Picked up fishing again after a Loooong break and have the following rods and reels thanks to some great advice from this board.

Dobyns Champion 703c with shimano slx 151
Dobyns Fury 734c with daiwa fuego CT

Dobyns Fury 703sf with daiwa bg 2500

So I'm struggling with trying to figure out which rod and reel combo works for what setup.

Senkos, t rigs, c rigs, Ned rigs, topwater etc etc. all very complicated. Lol.

I also have a couple of ugly stix 6 ft 6 spinning rods I can use if they would work for any of the above techniques so I could have some dedicated rods rather than constantly setting the same rods up for different techniques.

Also open to buying another rod if that makes more sense.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

What is it that your struggling with specifically? Answering this question will help narrow down the answers that your looking for.

fishballer06

Your 703c is going to be for your more finesse baitcasting presentations. Senkos, light texas rigs, small topwater poppers, and maybe even some squarebills.

Your 734c is going to be your do all rod. Spinnerbaits, swim jigs, buzzbaits, rattle traps, jigs, Texas/Carolina rigs, Keitech style swimbaits, etc.

Your 703s is going to be your fairy wand for finesse presentations. This is where spinning rods excel. Ned rigs, shakeyheads, 4" senkos, etc.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

NYCBhoy

Thanks guys. I fish from the bank so guess struggling with which rod or rods to take out primarily. Don't want to carry them all. And a little unsure of which rod is best for which setup. For example, if I want to use a c rig, am i doing that on the spinning rod or one of the casting rod. I'm getting better at tying knots but also trying to minimize the number of times i need to re tie. Hope that makes sense!

fishballer06

If you're still new to fishing and trying to learn different techniques, here's what I would advise. Rig up two of your rods with something different, and go out and fish with just those two rods. Don't change lures, just learn to use those techniques.

Example - Rig your 703c up with a Senko, and your 734c with a spinnerbait. Go out and just use those baits. Learn how they work. Then next trip out, switch it up.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: fishballer06 on May 19, 2020, 10:04:22 AM
If you're still new to fishing and trying to learn different techniques, here's what I would advise. Rig up two of your rods with something different, and go out and fish with just those two rods. Don't change lures, just learn to use those techniques.

Example - Rig your 703c up with a Senko, and your 734c with a spinnerbait. Go out and just use those baits. Learn how they work. Then next trip out, switch it up.
^^^ This.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

TNDiver

I have fished from the bank before and carrying 3 rods is not that big of a deal.  Having said that, Fishballers choice of rods is a good one.  If you only want to take one, I would take the 734 with a spinnerbait, buzz bait, rattle trap, swim bait (look at NuTech) and a Texas rigged worm/senko.  That has most of your bases covered as far are fish wants for any particular day.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Capt. BassinLou

As its been mentioned already, the 734 outfit will be the combo I would focus my attention on first. This rod  is a good starter rod in understanding rod power and rod actions. From there you can adjust to the other rods accordingly based on the technique(s) you want to throw.

NYCBhoy

Thanks everyone. Will try to follow that advice. I've been catching a bunch of bluegills, pumpkinseeds and crappie but struggling with the bass. Maybe I need to just focus on a couple of techniques and stick with them.

bro_drey

Quote from: fishballer06 on May 19, 2020, 07:17:25 AM
Your 703c is going to be for your more finesse baitcasting presentations. Senkos, light texas rigs, small topwater poppers, and maybe even some squarebills.

Your 734c is going to be your do all rod. Spinnerbaits, swim jigs, buzzbaits, rattle traps, jigs, Texas/Carolina rigs, Keitech style swimbaits, etc.

Your 703s is going to be your fairy wand for finesse presentations. This is where spinning rods excel. Ned rigs, shakeyheads, 4" senkos, etc.
Agreed but honestly throw the neds from his spinner rods/reels so much less hassle . I can throw neds on a caster but has to be aldabaren 50 mgl  on a 852c to not look like I'm an idiot trying to get the thing to go more that 40 ft. Serious man take that ugly stik ( although 6'6 is a little small for neds ) and strap a 2500 spinning reel and have at it

bro_drey

My bad just saw you said 703s lol thought it was c

NYCBhoy

Just thought I'd share that I was out early this morning and caught a nice bass on my 703 spinning rod with a Texas rigged rage tail. Thanks for all the advice!