Noob rod setup suggestions

Started by Clubster, May 20, 2020, 10:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clubster

I picked up a Gloomis IMXPro MH/F 6.8' jig/worm rod along with a Metainum Baitcast.  Rod states 12-16 lb  on it.  For worms what test line would you suggest in fluorocarbon and brand?  I also have questions about braided line in general too.  The rod says 12-16 lbs so how would a 40lb braided line work out on this rod.  The braided line is way too heavy test so wouldn't the rod in theory fail before line or am I missing something?  Any help would be great to understand this braided line thing better.

apenland01

With a baitcaster reel, I don't have a fluorocarbon preference really, I only have a preference if it's on a spinning rod.  There are many good fluoro choices out there.

As for the braid question, they are really talking about the diameter of the line for the rod for best performance.  Most braided lines are thinner, so that wouldn't be an issue.  For example, 40 pound braided line is about the same diameter as 14 pound mono or fluorocarbon, so no issue there.

Clubster

So I need to match diameter of braided to the mono/floro in my desired lb?  Wouldn't a 40 lb braided be too much for a 12-16lb marked rod?  I guess that's my big concern of why the rod does not say like up to 40lbs or something.

gtrpickr

How heavy of a bait are you fishing and do you normally fish heavy cover?

its like apenland01 was saying its more about the diameter of the line. If you would normally use 12 - 17 ib mono then 40 - 50 lb braid would be just fine.

apenland01

A MH rod will handle pretty much any braid you want to put on it.  The ratings is more for how the line moves through guides, versus how much weight or stress it can handle.

A 6 pound fish caught on 20 pound mono or 65 pound braid offers the same stress to the rod, as they are both loading the 6 pound fish.

There will be a sound difference and depending on the bait, a visibility difference, but the rod won't care.

Clubster

I will mostly be fishing in lakes and will start with a shakeyhead setup but not sure on weight since it's a new rod/reel and still working through that.

With braid do I run straight braid to lure or run a lighter leader on it?

Right now my plans were to run floro on 12lb test with a shakeyhead. Does this sound logical for this rod/reel?

SteveTX

Quote from: Clubster on May 20, 2020, 10:12:16 PM
I picked up a Gloomis IMXPro MH/F 6.8' jig/worm rod along with a Metainum Baitcast.  Rod states 12-16 lb  on it.  For worms what test line would you suggest in fluorocarbon and brand? 
I suggest braid. My preference would be Sufix 832 Advanced Superline 30 or 40 lb.. And here is a few reasons why.

• Braid has excellent sensitivity
  • Strength
  • Options for Hi-Vis colors
  • This lb test braid will work well with the rod based on its specs
  • This lb test braid will work well with the reel based on its specs
  • Braid lasts longer
  • Casting distance
  • Excellent line management

I have no use for fluorocarbonand so not using it I wouldn't and couldn't recommend it.

Quote from: Clubster on May 20, 2020, 10:12:16 PM
I also have questions about braided line in general too.  The rod says 12-16 lbs so how would a 40lb braided line work out on this rod.  The braided line is way too heavy test so wouldn't the rod in theory fail before line or am I missing something?  Any help would be great to understand this braided line thing better.
Here a Sufix 832 chart as it compares line diameter to typical mono. (Others braids will be similar.)

Quote from: Clubster on May 21, 2020, 12:04:51 AM
I will mostly be fishing in lakes and will start with a shakeyhead setup but not sure on weight since it's a new rod/reel and still working through that.

Right now my plans were to run floro on 12lb test with a shakeyhead. Does this sound logical for this rod/reel?

Stay towards the center of the rods recommended weight range if possible. Its generally the sweet spot the rod will work well with. Example if the rod reads 1/4oz -3/4oz for lure weight a 3/8 or a 1/2oz will probably cast easier and fish better.

I don't get into the leader stuff for all the reasons guys that don't run leaders say. lo I know some swear the fish saw his braid and ran over the dam and walked across the desert to get away from it. Personally I don't have that issue. My fish are stupid and eat wire, plastic, and lead. Not to mention all kinds of hooks. If they were so smart they sure aren't showing it. That being said if that is your thing a leader on braid gets you the benefit of both at the expense of a added potential fail point and a knot banging through your guides.

I did say I don't use Fluro but I am absolutely positive 12lb Fluro will work for shakeyhead in open water.

Pferox

Quote from: Clubster on May 21, 2020, 12:04:51 AM

Most of the time you can get away without a leader, if the line is tangling on the lure which sometimes happens with the limp line, then a mono or floro leader might help with that.

Depending on where you are fishing, 12lb line will work fine.  Down South, for most of us, 12lb is pretty light weight and used for finesse fishing, 15 to 20lb is more common.  You get up North, finesse stuff can go down as low as 6 or 8lb test.

10 or 12lb test us a good starting point for floro, see how it goes.  If you get a lot of breakoffs, go up a bit in test, if it works good and you want to experiment, go down in test.  Experimenting is a large part of fishing, and is a big part of the fun in it.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: SteveTX on May 21, 2020, 12:50:57 AM
I suggest braid. My preference would be Sufix 832 Advanced Superline 30 or 40 lb.. And here is a few reasons why.

• Braid has excellent sensitivity
  • Strength
  • Options for Hi-Vis colors
  • This lb test braid will work well with the rod based on its specs
  • This lb test braid will work well with the reel based on its specs
  • Braid lasts longer
  • Casting distance
  • Excellent line management

I have no use for fluorocarbonand so not using it I wouldn't and couldn't recommend it.
Here a Sufix 832 chart as it compares line diameter to typical mono. (Others braids will be similar.)

Stay towards the center of the rods recommended weight range if possible. Its generally the sweet spot the rod will work well with. Example if the rod reads 1/4oz -3/4oz for lure weight a 3/8 or a 1/2oz will probably cast easier and fish better.

I don't get into the leader stuff for all the reasons guys that don't run leaders say. lo I know some swear the fish saw his braid and ran over the dam and walked across the desert to get away from it. Personally I don't have that issue. My fish are stupid and eat wire, plastic, and lead. Not to mention all kinds of hooks. If they were so smart they sure aren't showing it. That being said if that is your thing a leader on braid gets you the benefit of both at the expense of a added potential fail point and a knot banging through your guides.

I did say I don't use Fluro but I am absolutely positive 12lb Fluro will work for shakeyhead in open water.
Everything I could say is right there^^^.

I fish all straight braid now except for one reel loaded with mono for a particular crankbait situation.

I tried hard to use flouro for years but the headaches far outweighed the benefits. So I decided I'd just use it for leaders. That turned out to be an even worse experience.

In general a knot is the weakest link in your chain. And in particular knots are the biggest problem with using flouro although some of the newer stuff has gotten much better with that.

When you add a flouro leader you now have at least 2 knots (one of which is highly susceptible to slipping or breaking) thereby at least doubling your chances of failure and possibly losing that fish of a lifetime.

If you are going to use flouro use straight flouro to lure connection and save yourself a lot of headache. You are gonna have to experiment with knots to find the one that works best for you. There are more than enough videos available on You Tube to keep you busy for a long while.

Please keep us posted. You just may teach some of us old dogs some new tricks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bro_drey

Ok ok had to chip in . You bought an imx and a metamium for the "noob startup rod"? Ok lol got that out of the way check it out braid and fluoro have different properties. If you are so let using braid and no leader I would strap braid into your top water setups (braid doesn't sink ) . If you do run a leader sky's the limit what you can do with it . Powerpro 50# is the 14lb mono equivalent and most standard 150-200 baitcasting reels shine spooled with it. I have a few reels I use solely fluoro on too man ( fluoro sinks ) i have a jig rod set with fluoro . Believe it or not I rock it on all my swim & cranks too I love sunline fc sniper 14# to me it's #1 In all aspects ( except price man it's about 30$/ reel you spoil with it) seaguar invisix is a good substitute (cheaper) still amazing . If you use a spinning reel I have no idea what they use lol I only have 1 for my ned rigs and I spoil that with fireline crystal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clubster

Appreciate all the info and rod states 3/16 x 5/8 oz so will be working the parameters for the lure weight.  I just put the rest of my 12lb Fluro on and will see how it goes but may go to braid to see how that works later on. 

As for noob using GLoomis and Metamium........I have no business going this route now vs a sheaper set up but for some reason as a younger guy I always wanted a Loomis rod and Shimano reel so just decided to bite the bullet and grab the set.  I will eventually figure it all out and have what I want already in use. 

Starting up a new hobby is fun and look forward to a lot of time on the water with the kids.

loomisguy

Quote from: bro_drey on May 21, 2020, 08:11:59 PM
Ok ok had to chip in . You bought an imx and a metamium for the "noob startup rod"? Ok lol got that out of the way check it out braid and fluoro have different properties. If you are so let using braid and no leader I would strap braid into your top water setups (braid doesn't sink ) . If you do run a leader sky's the limit what you can do with it . Powerpro 50# is the 14lb mono equivalent and most standard 150-200 baitcasting reels shine spooled with it. I have a few reels I use solely fluoro on too man ( fluoro sinks ) i have a jig rod set with fluoro . Believe it or not I rock it on all my swim & cranks too I love sunline fc sniper 14# to me it's #1 In all aspects ( except price man it's about 30$/ reel you spoil with it) seaguar invisix is a good substitute (cheaper) still amazing . If you use a spinning reel I have no idea what they use lol I only have 1 for my ned rigs and I spoil that with fireline cr

If it's costing you $30 a reel to spool sniper you may want to to use backing. It's what 22 bucks for 200 yds. ?
I can get 2 reels out of a 165yds of Tatsu.  If it starts to get nicked up ,peel it off ,turn it around and spool it the other way.

FishinBuck07

Quote from: Clubster on May 21, 2020, 10:47:42 PM
Appreciate all the info and rod states 3/16 x 5/8 oz so will be working the parameters for the lure weight.  I just put the rest of my 12lb Fluro on and will see how it goes but may go to braid to see how that works later on. 

As for noob using GLoomis and Metamium........I have no business going this route now vs a sheaper set up but for some reason as a younger guy I always wanted a Loomis rod and Shimano reel so just decided to bite the bullet and grab the set.  I will eventually figure it all out and have what I want already in use. 

Starting up a new hobby is fun and look forward to a lot of time on the water with the kids.
You have every right to start as a noob with a Gloomis and Metamium!  It is your money, no one else paid for it!  Nothing wrong with buying and using nice gear.  Good luck and have fun man!!!

bro_drey

Quote from: loomisguy on May 22, 2020, 05:25:39 AM

If it's costing you $30 a reel to spool sniper you may want to to use backing. It's what 22 bucks for 200 yds. ?
I can get 2 reels out of a 165yds of Tatsu.  If it starts to get nicked up ,peel it off ,turn it around and spool it the other way.
Appreciate it man I'll check it out. Never used tatsu bought the sniper after some trial error and never really branched out after that was so comfortable with it

loomisguy

Tatsu will spoil you. You only need 80 yards or so of the good stuff.. I use cheap mono or old braid for backing

bro_drey

I just pulled the trigger and bought the new metanium mgl 151 xgb (8:1:1) finally found some in stock at basspro gonna be here by June 2nd I'll try some small diameter tatsu on it see how she rolls

bro_drey

I'll upload pics when she's all setup

bro_drey

Quote from: loomisguy on May 22, 2020, 07:54:26 AM
Tatsu will spoil you. You only need 80 yards or so of the good stuff.. I use cheap mono or old braid for backing
Man I just looked on amazon the tatsu 12lb is looking nice

loomisguy

It's the best and it lasts well. Like I said just turn it around if it gets frayed. I can get 4 months or so on Table Rock with it.. It doesn't fray bad and it handles better than sniper or even Invisx.