Aluminum v's Stainless steel props?

Started by Bassinkorea, May 27, 2020, 09:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassinkorea

I found a little Mercury dealer tucked away not too far from my home today and went in to price up a new prop I am looking for.

I currently have a Tempest Plus 23p on my 150hp Optimax.

Price for a new st/steel prop = $970
Price for a new Aluminum prop = $260

Can Aluminum props be used in place of st/steel props. Just curious and would like to know more about the differences between the two materials.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Mike Cork

Flex.....

Aluminum props flex and are difficult to manage both ends of the spectrum. Meaning getting a good hole shot and good top end. You'll be very disappointed with an aluminum prop after running the Tempest.

You might look in the US for a prop, not near as much. Shipping is going to kill ya. There are plenty of used props for sale and if you worked with a guy on the shipping you could come out for half that.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

BK here is a good thumbnail article about this subject.  I used Aluminum while living in New England due to all of the rocks scattered what seems to be everywhere.  It was just an alternative at that time to keep from having to buy replacement stainless steels props that just took a bite out of a boulder.  The performance was not as good as steel but it got the job done.  I was not after speed just power.

Article Follows:

When you are shopping for a replacement prop for your boat you need to do your homework. With so many different styles and sizes, choosing the right propeller can be a daunting task. If you know you want a propeller with the same diameter and the same style of blades you need to move on to choosing a material. There has been a lot of debate on whether stainless steel or aluminum boat propellers are better. To make the best investment, you should understand the pros and cons of each. Review the benefits and challenges of each and then make your decision.  If you have any questions on whether to go aluminum or stainless steel, reach out to the experts at Propeller Depot.

stainless or aluminum propellers

Benefits of Aluminum Boat Propellers

Aluminum propellers are the most common because they are very affordable and offer good performance under most circumstances. One reason why many boaters choose aluminum propellers over stainless steel applications is because aluminum weighs about half as much. These propellers are also very easy to repair when damaged.

The Disadvantages

While aluminum is a great choice it can flex under extremely high rpms and this will cause a drop in pitch. The blades often tend to be thicker than stainless steel blades so they will cause more drag. They are not ideal for sandy conditions so you must consider use.

The Benefits of Stainless Steel Propellers

Stainless steel propellers are designed for high performance and they are the most durable choice on the market today. They have thinner blades which will reduce dragging and will not flex when you are traveling at high speeds. They are also designed for abrasive environments and can handle adventures in sandy and shallow waters.

The Disadvantages

One of the biggest setbacks has to do with price. Stainless steel is simply a more expensive material and it is more difficult to repair when damaged. These propellers weight twice as much as aluminum which means you need a more powerful engine.

Ultimately, the decision depends on use. If you are not looking for power, the aluminum prop may be the right choice. If performance is your primary concern, stainless steel props will better meet your needs. Consider durability, pricing, and overall use when buying your boat propellers

Deadeye

What Mike Said.

Aluminum is fine on lower power motors where you won't feel the loss as much, but when it comes to a larger motor like yours you will.

Try other forums that have For Sale sections, or look on here.

Amazon and EBay are good to try as well.

apenland01

What prop are you looking for specifically?

Princeton_Man

Everyone has covered it pretty well. If you're happy with your current prop's performance you should try to find another just like it.

An aluminum prop makes a good spare to get you home. It's light, keep it in the boat in case you damage your SS prop during a tourny, but if you're looking for a backup for your current I'd stick with a second 23p Tempest.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bassinkorea

Mike, Bud, Fred,
Thanks for the great feedback   ~c~

Quote from: apenland01 on May 27, 2020, 09:39:21 AM
What prop are you looking for specifically?

Really, I am looking for another 23p the same as I have now. The one I have now is pretty dinged up, so I want a new (or good used) prop to use on the motor, and then get my dinged up prop repaired and put in the boat as a spare.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Princeton_Man on May 27, 2020, 10:15:56 AM
Everyone has covered it pretty well. If you're happy with your current prop's performance you should try to find another just like it.

An aluminum prop makes a good spare to get you home. It's light, keep it in the boat in case you damage your SS prop during a tourny, but if you're looking for a backup for your current I'd stick with a second 23p Tempest.

This would be option 2 to my last post.

I'll have a look around ebay and see what's around.