Round Reels

Started by chadyp, April 30, 2020, 09:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadyp

Does anyone still use round reels? If so what are your favorite round reels today and why?  I know Bo used to use the old Abu's but has recently transitioned to low profile reels.

Bassinkorea

I have a Calcutta 200GT and loved and used it for years, but I am currently not using it all that regularly. It is a low gear ratio, 5.0:1 I believe and will use it for slower fishing in the winter months. The low profiles are just more comfortable.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Smallie_Stalker

I still have an old Abu Ambassadeur 5501 that I use. It is on my deep cranking rod because it holds a ton of line.

In the past I have also used Shimano Calcuttas and Cardiffs.

I think I will always have at least one round reel in my lineup somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

DonM

I have a 5501 too.  Haven't used it in about 30 years.  It was my first baitcaster.  Lots of great memories...
Had to special order it to get the LH model.
DonM

Pferox

I had a bunch of Garcia CB reels at one time, but gave them away, now all I have is a 5500 C3 and a few Penn 309, 209, and 9M reels.

I use them in the salt quite a bit for when the drum are running.

I also like them for fishing for sting ray, they are pretty good workhorses for those hard pulling fish.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Oldfart9999

I have 2 or 3 Quantum Irons that I use, they cast very well and are slow reel, good for cranks.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

njpaulc

Garcia 4600 C3, Garcia 5500 C3, Garcia 5501 C3, and Garcia 5600 C4, They all weigh pretty much the same and I like the way they fit my hand.  I learned how to "cast" a "conventional" reel 50+ years ago fishing a Penn 65 off a 30 foot high bridge with my dad. The Garcias were like a revalation.

coldfront

transitioned away years back (loved them!) but as I've gotten older, the hands get more 'stiff' it's much easier to hold on to a reel for a long day that's low profile versus the old round reels.

and I do have relatively large mitts (xxl gloves, well, I can get my hands in to them...)

LgMouthGambler

Calcutta/Conquest is my favorite.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

apenland01

I have a Ryobi that is round, but I haven't actually used it yet.  It came with a couple of used rods and reels I bought from a guy.  He threw it in with the lot.  I'll have to try it out one of these days...

SHC286

Ambassadeur 5000. First reel I bought around 25 years ago, still have it and use it. Although I am considering relegating it back to catfish duty. I have more low pro reels now and they're simply more ergonomic. But, I just love it.

Sandman7925

Calcutta conquest for swimbaits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3crows

I still use my 5500C. Right now it is on this weird Skeet Reese S Glass Crankbait rod. But is also rides a Falcon Amistad and a Mojo Frog rod or even it's original pairing, a Lew's #4 Speed Stick.

Purchased by me circa 1973.

3C
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

Dog

I have a garcia 6000 sweden built been used once just sits but I have a few line counter ones I use for trolling for trout salmon and striper.

Pacific NW Ron

I have several 5000 to 6000 series Garcia's.  I don't use them for any bass fishing though.  I have used the 5000 and 5500 for deep cranking.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

D.W. Verts

I own about 70 of the older 4600C's and use some of them every time out. I do have some modern, low-profile reels, but these heavy old reels will always be my favorite.

There were some better years, and I don't care much for the newer models. The best are by far the Swedish made models. I have better luck on reels built from the early nineties back. And I use this 1978 model almost every day out-

I said "heavy". If I remember correctly, these weighed ten ounces, down from the fifteen ounces that the older 5500's weighed. I remember being astounded at how LIGHT these things were.

The 4600 series are narrow-spool thumb bar reels (my '78 model was the first year that it was a standard feature). I dig 'em. But I'm kinda getting old, too.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

fishballer06

I still have a Calcutta 201D that I use for (smaller) big swimbaits. It would make a nice crankbait reel too, but nothing beats the feel of a low profile casting reel in hand if you palm your reels.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament