Bought a Dobyns Champion 683C for Dock Skipping

Started by Princeton_Man, May 30, 2020, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

I'm being a lot more careful with my 6'8" LSCR these days, my Dobyns Savvys are getting along in years, and I'm also still patiently waiting for the Dobyns split grip Xtasy rods to become available. So as not to let the monkey starve I bought a DC683C to try out for close quarters combat around docks and other tight places.

Since my primary intentions for this rod is skipping, I put a Tatula Type R on it that I had laying around. The reel didn't match up well, so I tried a Lew's Tournament Pro on the shelf and things looked great. It feels really good and skips a rubber practice plug off the driveway beautifully! What really surprised me is how awesome it casts long distances. So much so that i think I'm going to buy another! ;D

Hoping to give it some time on the water next week.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Donald Garner

Congrats on the new Dobyns Champion rod there buddy  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Lipripper

Jim keep feeding that monkey and keep him distracted to keep him away from my house. lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Nice! That rod is on my "down the road" list but for a different usage. I'll be following along to see what you think as you put it to use.

Just out of curiosity why the 683 and not the 610-4 C where the taper is built specifically for skipping docks?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on May 30, 2020, 10:40:03 AM
Nice! That rod is on my "down the road" list but for a different usage. I'll be following along to see what you think as you put it to use.

Just out of curiosity why the 683 and not the 610-4 C where the taper is built specifically for skipping docks?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I roll cast a lot and I've always skipped best with a 6'8" MH (spinning) rod. I've gotten much better with my 6'8" LSCR casting rod, but I go downhill when I use a 6'10" MH spinning rod. So for me I believe the key is length. I find out for sure once I get it out on the water.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

Makes.a lot of sense.  I like a shorter rod for up close roll casting myself.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

I bought a Sierra 683 last year, and it's my favorite skipping pole.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Bud Kennedy

My short rod is my Lee Smith and has been my go to for sometime now.  I am going to keep using it until it can't go anymore.  I thought about buying a  Short Dobyns.  The wife has a 663 spinning rod and it is really nice.  I might get something like that for myself one day but now I am beginning to use a Savy 703 that does a very good job too.  I think I will keep what I have for now.  Might have to try a rod from FD one of these days just to see what he has to offer in a custom. 

Princeton_Man

I've only been out once since I got it and it seems my logic paid off. I finally have a great baitcasting rig for skipping docks and boat houses.  :)

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

zippyduck

About time you get a good skipping rod.  ;)
Nice choice but you may wish for more power to haul them out from under the docks. Just my opinion.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

Quote from: zippyduck on June 15, 2020, 09:32:13 PM
About time you get a good skipping rod.  ;)
Nice choice but you may wish for more power to haul them out from under the docks. Just my opinion.
For no more than I've been pulling out, I could probably drop to a 2 power.  :'(

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

zippyduck

Quote from: Princeton_Man on June 16, 2020, 09:23:47 AM
For no more than I've been pulling out, I could probably drop to a 2 power.  :'(
LOL
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Dink Dawg