Long arm Reservoir 6-16

Started by apiazza, June 17, 2020, 01:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

Got out from about 5 to 730 last night. Went to the southeast end where I see less boats. The water was about 75 and pretty murky. I found my 3 bites on a road bed which sat between 10 and 15 fow right on the steep drop from the bank where the rest of the area was only about 5 or 6 fow. 2 bites on wacky. Caught this girl on the spinner.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Thanks for the report and nice healthy looking fish. ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

zippyduck

Nice report. Remember that spot it will get hot soon if the bait stays nearby.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Mike Cork

Nice catch :toot:

I bet that kind of bass is fun in a kayak... Thanks for the report.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

fishballer06

Nice report. Good to hear you're finding some fish. That's the hardest part of the battle.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

apiazza

I seem to find decent size fish, now I need to find some numbers!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

fishballer06

Biting
Quantity
Quality

Pick 2, because you'll never get all 3  lo lo
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

apiazza

Quote from: fishballer06 on June 18, 2020, 04:24:39 PM
Biting
Quantity
Quality

Pick 2, because you'll never get all 3  lo lo
Oh I know! But when you need to fill your limit its quantity and then cull.

apiazza

Fished the same general area to see if I could build a pattern. Was seeing a lot of blow ups in the middle of the flat where the grass was but couldnt get anything to bite. Based on the size of some I'm actually wondering if it was carp.

I decided to do some mapping along a point that I often launch from and came across this image that I grabbed. Seem some fish sitting closer to bottom in 15 fow off a fairly steep transition. Would you think that is bass or something else? I guess with the water temps it could be post spawners returning to deeper water to recover?

zippyduck

Looks like crappie stacked up and walleye are the bigger marks.

apiazza

Quote from: zippyduck on June 23, 2020, 04:29:36 AM
Looks like crappie stacked up and walleye are the bigger marks.
I can see the stack of crappie. curious why the two marks on the right over what I think is a rock you think are walleye?

zippyduck

Walleye have a distinct profile on the lowrance units. The thin front and back are dead give a ways.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bro_drey

Man you guys are miles above me in interpreting fish finders I have a lowrance hook reveal and I have a hard time reading it . Says they pick up while moving so when I see the arches I stop and the arches disappear I back up and they are still gone it gets frustrating to me . I was in between 18/25ft of water. So I just end up using it to fish humps  drops and ridges . I can interpret cover just fine on the down scan . Just not sure does the transducer image directly below you or at some aNgle is there a delay am I seeing 10/20ft behind me ?  my first fish finder and I guess I expected a little more . I've watched YouTube videos on it but not to much avail not really a good interpretive video on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apiazza

Quote from: bro_drey on June 25, 2020, 05:53:42 AM
Man you guys are miles above me in interpreting fish finders I have a lowrance hook reveal and I have a hard time reading it . Says they pick up while moving so when I see the arches I stop and the arches disappear I back up and they are still gone it gets frustrating to me . I was in between 18/25ft of water. So I just end up using it to fish humps  drops and ridges . I can interpret cover just fine on the down scan . Just not sure does the transducer image directly below you or at some aNgle is there a delay am I seeing 10/20ft behind me ?  my first fish finder and I guess I expected a little more . I've watched YouTube videos on it but not to much avail not really a good interpretive video on them

Given the choice I would take ability to catch fish without a sonar over being able to read one and suck at catching fish so you are once step ahead of me  lo

Anyway. Couples things i've learned. Figure our how to quickly drop waypoints. especially in open water, I find it nearly impossible to get the same sonar image. drop a waypoint and work on figuring out how to cast to it by positioning yourself on your map in respect to it.

Depending on your frequency will determine if you get arches at all. I learned this one the hard way. If you notice my 2d is on 77kHz which is wider beam and gives you arches. On the higher frequency you get blobs. You only get arches because you are moving, if you manage to stop over them you will get a constant line across the screen. Remember, and this is huge and why waypoints are important, your screen shows TIME not DISTANCE, but the data is embedded. What I mean is when something is scrolling to the left of your screen that is time based on your scroll speed. so just because it happened a little while ago doesn't give you any reference to how far behind it is. once you figure out how to scroll on your screen you can drop a waypoint on something that previously happened because the sonar log GPS coordinates with the image. It's a really import thing to understand and sometimes takes time to sort though and make sense of.

Check out Fish the moment on youtube. scroll back into some of his older videos. he does really good foundations of graphing videos as well as more complex topics. I learned a lot from him, but there is still a ton I haven't a clue on when it comes to graphing and kayaks make it tougher in my opinion. The inability to hold speed, tracking and position require some extra skill to get good with the graph.

bro_drey

Quote from: apiazza on June 25, 2020, 06:24:58 AM
Given the choice I would take ability to catch fish without a sonar over being able to read one and suck at catching fish so you are once step ahead of me  lo

Anyway. Couples things i've learned. Figure our how to quickly drop waypoints. especially in open water, I find it nearly impossible to get the same sonar image. drop a waypoint and work on figuring out how to cast to it by positioning yourself on your map in respect to it.

Depending on your frequency will determine if you get arches at all. I learned this one the hard way. If you notice my 2d is on 77kHz which is wider beam and gives you arches. On the higher frequency you get blobs. You only get arches because you are moving, if you manage to stop over them you will get a constant line across the screen. Remember, and this is huge and why waypoints are important, your screen shows TIME not DISTANCE, but the data is embedded. What I mean is when something is scrolling to the left of your screen that is time based on your scroll speed. so just because it happened a little while ago doesn't give you any reference to how far behind it is. once you figure out how to scroll on your screen you can drop a waypoint on something that previously happened because the sonar log GPS coordinates with the image. It's a really import thing to understand and sometimes takes time to sort though and make sense of.

Check out Fish the moment on youtube. scroll back into some of his older videos. he does really good foundations of graphing videos as well as more complex topics. I learned a lot from him, but there is still a ton I haven't a clue on when it comes to graphing and kayaks make it tougher in my opinion. The inability to hold speed, tracking and position require some extra skill to get good with the graph.
Thank you man huge insight I never thought of dropping waypoints over them