Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing. ADD SPACE
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

ADD SPACE

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knot-a-holic  (Read 810 times)

GermanKnight

• Smallmouth
  • Lunker Vision
Knot-a-holic
« on: June 28, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »

Yep, that's right. Guys I'm a knot-a-holic.

I have done many tests on line, and know strength. I've come to realize that 80 percent of fisherman still use that one knot we are all taught. Spin the damn hook after you thread it then insert it through the bottom loop. Stop it

You know what knot I'm gonna teach my daughter or son?! Well... Let's start out by saying I'm not trying to throw shade on anyone. Knot strength is one of the main things keeping that 8lb bass pinned. When you go parachuting would you parachute with a backdoor Chinese special? No. I know I wouldn't. And fishing is let me keep it real by saying 120 times more important.

When your are bored try tying 15 knots a day every day. Practice makes perfect. It really does.

Knots I recommend:
Double pitzen, double clinch, berkley braid, Palomar. The Palomar works amazingly well with braid but not with fluorocarbon. It's extremely easy to miss tie the knot. It can be good with fluorocarbon but it's harder because of the way fluorocarbon is. Braid you don't have to worry about it as much.

The knots that Shaw Grigsby shows and the knot that swindle teach are good FC knots. The only thing I have to disagree with is Gerald swindle recommended the red Phillips knot for attaching leaders. That knot is trash compared to the FG or Alberto or even the Yucatan. The FG is a little difficult and your gonna waist tons of line trying to learn but it's worth it if you use braid to FC. No other knot IMO comes close to the FG, and a close second being the Alberto.

Once you get the hang of the FG learn the rizzuto finish and that knot will be the only one needed for connecting braid to FC. If anyone needs help let me know I'm here to help.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Denali custom rods.

GermanKnight

• Smallmouth
  • Lunker Vision
Re: Knot-a-holic
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 07:26:35 PM »

I tie knots every day to help take out the chance of a bad knot. I could tie the fg rizzuto version in the dark but seriously practice makes close to perfect.

Go to the dollar store. I know this sounds stupid but get the thickest nylon floss I found  a 250 yard spool. Now I use the spool to anchor the braid or just use my teeth. My dental problems have forced me to use that as a last resort.

Anyway I tied these to show that you too can do it. And if you need help I will help.

Anyone using the tws system even with as small as the FG is, I still find it to large to go through safely.

Denali custom rods.

RangerAndBass

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »

I have mastered the FG, but need to Google the finish you talk about.
Question, why are you critical of the palomar for floro? I only use the palomar for attaching to hooks regardless of line, (with the exception of Snell for my flipping hooks.)
I can't say I have had issues.
I'd like to know your logic. What know do you use with floro to hook or lure?
Also what about mono to lure?
Never to old to learn....

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 07:15:30 PM »

I like the no knot for hooks, it is a snell type knot.

For braid to leader I use the Slim Beauty, it takes a bit to learn to tie, but man does it hold.  Works better for me than any of the other leader knots.

In a pinch I could get away with a double uni-knot on braid to Floro line, but the braid cuts through mono too badly when fighting a fish.

I like the Palomar for tying swivels on, dunno why, just a habit I guess. 
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 07:11:17 AM »

The only issues I've had with the Palomar knot and flourocarbon is when I rushed the tie and tied it wrong, it needs to be tied correctly and with moisture leaving a little longer tag. The issue I have with flourocarbon is that ti doesn't rebound like mono does, stretch it a bit and it stays stretched shortening the life of the line.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Deadeye

• Charter Member
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
Knot-a-holic
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:55:57 AM »

My Palomar knots never fail.

Why?

Because of the one extra step I take and do each and every time.

After tying the complete knot, I take the Tag and do a simple overhand knot, twice. Then I cut the tag.

That tag would have to be pulled through two overhand knots before it ever gets to the Palomar knotó which I never had fail on itís own anyway.

Oh and I use it for all line types with equal success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

SHC286

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »

Why?

After tying the complete knot, I take the Tag and do a simple overhand knot, twice. Then I cut the tag.

That tag would have to be pulled through two overhand knots before it ever gets to the Palomar knotó which I never had fail on itís own anyway.

I finally discover Iím not the only one.
Iíve wondered if this is why I seem to have better luck with Daiwa J-braid than some other folks.

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 08:25:32 AM »

Why?

I do the same thing on a few different knots, Palomar especially.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

VaHooligan

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 10:10:28 AM »

I just gained a brain cell looking up all these knots. Seriously, thank you!

GermanKnight

• Smallmouth
  • Lunker Vision
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 12:54:44 PM »

I have mastered the FG, but need to Google the finish you talk about.
Question, why are you critical of the palomar for floro? I only use the palomar for attaching to hooks regardless of line, (with the exception of Snell for my flipping hooks.)
I can't say I have had issues.
I'd like to know your logic. What know do you use with floro to hook or lure?
Also what about mono to lure?
Never to old to learn....

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Sorry you guys I forgot about this thread. I'm critical of the Palomar knot because it's just not that great for FC. FC is abrasion resistant but it's kind of like how diamonds can scratch diamonds or so I think. FC finds its way to shear itself on hook sets. It hasn't happened to me but I've been around people when it did. That and I can tie the double pitzen fast and it's strong.

Believe me, I can tie a good Palomar and honestly I find it's still pretty good with braid and mono because braid won't shear and it'll grasp the mono without shearing the line but when it comes to FC you can't mess around as it's pretty unforgiving

Denali custom rods.

GermanKnight

• Smallmouth
  • Lunker Vision
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 12:55:53 PM »

I just gained a brain cell looking up all these knots. Seriously, thank you!

It's what I'm here for. I've subtracted so many over the years it's cosmic karma for me to aid in the growth of said brain cells.

Denali custom rods.

bsrowlet

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 02:44:03 AM »

I like a good old palomar knot.  Easy to remember and Paul Elias taught me to tie it. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

ADD SPACE

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.