735c Sierra or Fury?

Started by kdubracing, July 06, 2020, 11:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdubracing

I'm working on figuring out what I want for a frog rod, and also for some flipping, punching grass, etc. I have a Fury spinning rod and like it a lot. Looking through the Dobyns site, it seems the Sierra is XF and the Fury is F in the 735. Anyone with some experience with either want to chime in with their opinion? I know what is best for frog may not be best for flipping, but it'll be my only heavy set up for a while.

Mike Cork

A good punch rod is over kill for a frog rod but will work great. The opposite isn't true though. To be honest I like the Fast action of the Extra Fast for my punching and it can aid in frogging if you're quick on the trigger.

Having a slightly softer tip on your punch rod will help keep the fish buttoned up. Punching is a short line situation and many times you'll get a bass on top of the vegetation and it will be going ballistic because it hasn't lost any energy in fighting. This is when a softer tip can help keep the line taught and prevent the bass from using the weight against you to sling the hook.

All that said, the Sierra is not too fast to cause a problem here. I personally like a longer rod for punching. The 795's are perfect, the 805's are a little long... A 735 will work but... You'll eventually want a longer rod when you can have a dedicated punch rod... My point is get the frog rod you like for now and use it as your punch rod until you can get another.  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

I second what Mike said. My recommendation is get the rod for the technique you are going to be fishing the most. If froggin is the main focus of this new rod, the 735 will serve that niche well. Good luck.

Fun4me

I don't do a lot of punching, but I have a Fury 735c that I enjoy throwing hollow body frogs on. No complaints.

zippyduck

The difference between the Fury and Sierra is mostly weight and sensitivity. The Sierra of course being the better of both. The Sierra will have a little slower tip than the Fury though. For flipping out of the two I give the nod to the Sierra and frogging the Fury gets the thumbs up. Both will handle everything you want to do well except maybe the punching. Punching takes a lot more rod in my opinion.

I prefer the Sierra because of the weight and sensitivity. The most under rated series in my opinion.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

kdubracing

Thanks guys. Pretty much in line with what I was thinking. And when I say punching, I don't mean full on Florida punching. More lightweight, maybe 1 oz weight max, probably more like .5/.75 oz. My priorities would be 1. hollow body frogs 2. flipping jigs/creature baits into brush and weedlines 3. a bit of grass punching here and there, but not too much.

Quote from: zippyduck on July 06, 2020, 07:25:57 PM
The Sierra will have a little slower tip than the Fury though.
For the 735c, the Sierra is listed as extra fast, while the Fury is listed as fast. Wouldn't the Sierra have a little faster tip than the Fury?

zippyduck

I personally think the Fury is a faster tip than the Sierra on the 735 and most of the lineup.

For light grass the Sierra will fit the bill nicely. My choice would be the Sierra even over the champion for those techniques. But I really like the slightly slower tip for close quarters techniques.

kdubracing

Quote from: zippyduck on July 07, 2020, 01:50:02 AM
I personally think the Fury is a faster tip than the Sierra on the 735 and most of the lineup.

Thank you. Can't beat real world experience.

Mike Cork

The 735C will handle .5 to .75 great, but might get a little spongy when flipping out at 1 ounce, not sure on that though, probably handle it great.  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

HellaBass

If its more froggin, Fury, if its more flipping Sierra

kdubracing

Quote from: HellaBass on July 07, 2020, 08:42:33 AM
If its more froggin, Fury, if its more flipping Sierra
I'm thinking I may be in a catch-22 here. I kayak fish right now, but am planning to get a bass boat early next year. I have a feeling while I want to frog fish a lot, I'll have much more opportunity to flip with most of the lakes I'll likely be going to.

chrisD46

Is a Sierra 735c. still considered a decent frog rod with #50 lb. + braid ?

zippyduck

Quote from: chrisD46 on August 16, 2020, 09:04:37 AM
Is a Sierra 735c. still considered a decent frog rod with #50 lb. + braid ?

Yes it is. The speed of the tip is just a hair slower than a champion. I actually like the slower tip as I miss fewer bites from them detecting me.

Capt. BassinLou

Sc Bassin

Have you considered the Sierra flip 766? You have said you would be flipping the most, then Frog fishing & punching some what. It's a 6 power rod so I would look at that rod for fishing in heavy cover where the big girls live. Dobyns site states it will do both flip & frog fish. It might not work well for the punching you described. Your fishing out of a kayak so I don't know if that rod might be to long for that.Call Dobyns Rods & tell them you would like to speak to Gary a rod choice. If he is there he will talk to you If he is not swamped.