Frog rod specs

Started by apenland01, July 09, 2020, 10:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apenland01

I never fish frogs and don't plan to start, but I got a bait in a mystery box called "Reaction Strike, Staggering Gomez" that is a topwater bait, but built like a hollow body frog.  It has two large hooks facing up at the rear of the bait, just like a hollow body frog.

I'm guessing I need something with enough power to set the hook and handle the weight of the bait.  It says it's 1.5oz on the package.  Also, I'm guessing heavier braid would be a good choice?

Fun4me

I said I would never fish frogs either. Now I have a 3700 deep plano box filled with hollow body frogs, a dedicated set up, and I will throw a frog if there is even a remote chance a fish might bite it lol. A heavy/x heavy rod and 50+ lb braid would be a good idea IMO.

coldfront

braids probably biggest key.  next, a MH, faster action rods helps.  then add length on top of that - I like 7.5 - 8 footers.  but 7's work, as do shorter rods, but I think right at 7 foot is where it starts to work best.

that's my opinion.

and just a little tip on the rod helps with casting accuracy.  don't quite need 'all broomstick'.

apenland01

I have a Dobyns DC745C that I haven't found a use for yet.  It's sitting in my rod rack and hasn't been used.  Would that fit the bill as a "frog rod"?

I have a couple of Lew's Pro-Ti's spooled up with with braid, so that should work fine.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: apenland01 on July 09, 2020, 04:22:41 PM
I have a Dobyns DC745C that I haven't found a use for yet.  It's sitting in my rod rack and hasn't been used.  Would that fit the bill as a "frog rod"?

I have a couple of Lew's Pro-Ti's spooled up with with braid, so that should work fine.

You're all set with that 735. Make sure one of those Lew reels are spooled with 50lb braid, and your done. If the need to frog fish comes up, which I don't why wouldn't it be,,  :) :) you have a good dedicated frog combo at the ready.

coldfront

Quote from: apenland01 on July 09, 2020, 04:22:41 PM

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/dx-745c-fh/

based on this, should be able to make it work.  I could.

is it 'best'?  just ask that question and sit back with the popcorn.

by the way, my favorite (current) frog rod is a 'different brand' that has a lot of similarities to Dobyns.  it's model number is 765.  so a 7'6" rod, 5 power.  same ratings as what you see on your dobyns for lure weights, line size.

;D

love tossing 1/2 - 3/4 ounce stuff on it.  or up to 1 ounce c-rigs... also use it for small swimbaits (by small, I mean up to 3 ounces, stuff like glide baits, etc)  very very versatile rod.  can do a lot of things.  again:  you should be good.

apenland01

Most of the hollow body frogs I see don't weigh 1.5 ounces, so I'll give it a shot and see how it does...

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: apenland01 on July 09, 2020, 07:27:44 PM
Most of the hollow body frogs I see don't weigh 1.5 ounces, so I'll give it a shot and see how it does...
1.5 oz is a hefty lure. You're going to feel it on that 735.

Fun4me

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 09, 2020, 07:48:06 PM
1.5 oz is a hefty lure. You're going to feel it on that 735.

This^^^^^^

I throw a S-Waver 165 on my Fury 735c. According to TW, it weights 1 5/8 ounces. I wouldn't dare wind up and sling it. I mostly lob it when I fish it, because the rod doesn't seem to like that much weight IMO.

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: apenland01 on July 09, 2020, 07:27:44 PM

I want to double check, but I've weighed 2 of my frogs.  One says 1/2 oz. on box and the other 5/8 oz on box.  Both weighed less than 1/2 oz.  A surprise to me as lures normally weigh more than their listing.

OP, it wouldn't hurt to weigh that lure.  I weighed a 5/8 oz. Storm Wildeye Swim Shad.  Actual weight was a full ounce.  Whoa!  Surprise.  You are going to need a sturdy rod.  Personally I wouldn't use anything less than a Heavy.