Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frog rod specs  (Read 389 times)

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Frog rod specs
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:25:25 AM »

I never fish frogs and don't plan to start, but I got a bait in a mystery box called "Reaction Strike, Staggering Gomez" that is a topwater bait, but built like a hollow body frog.  It has two large hooks facing up at the rear of the bait, just like a hollow body frog.

I'm guessing I need something with enough power to set the hook and handle the weight of the bait.  It says it's 1.5oz on the package.  Also, I'm guessing heavier braid would be a good choice?

Fun4me

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Re: Frog rod specs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 01:57:01 PM »

I said I would never fish frogs either. Now I have a 3700 deep plano box filled with hollow body frogs, a dedicated set up, and I will throw a frog if there is even a remote chance a fish might bite it lol. A heavy/x heavy rod and 50+ lb braid would be a good idea IMO.

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 02:41:11 PM »

braids probably biggest key.  next, a MH, faster action rods helps.  then add length on top of that - I like 7.5 - 8 footers.  but 7's work, as do shorter rods, but I think right at 7 foot is where it starts to work best.

that's my opinion.

and just a little tip on the rod helps with casting accuracy.  don't quite need 'all broomstick'.

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »

I have a Dobyns DC745C that I haven't found a use for yet.  It's sitting in my rod rack and hasn't been used.  Would that fit the bill as a "frog rod"?

I have a couple of Lew's Pro-Ti's spooled up with with braid, so that should work fine.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 04:40:07 PM »

I have a Dobyns DC745C that I haven't found a use for yet.  It's sitting in my rod rack and hasn't been used.  Would that fit the bill as a "frog rod"?

I have a couple of Lew's Pro-Ti's spooled up with with braid, so that should work fine.

You're all set with that 735. Make sure one of those Lew reels are spooled with 50lb braid, and your done. If the need to frog fish comes up, which I don't why wouldn't it be,,  :) :) you have a good dedicated frog combo at the ready.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:51:06 PM by Bassinlou »

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 04:42:10 PM »

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/dx-745c-fh/

based on this, should be able to make it work.  I could.

is it 'best'?  just ask that question and sit back with the popcorn.

by the way, my favorite (current) frog rod is a 'different brand' that has a lot of similarities to Dobyns.  it's model number is 765.  so a 7'6" rod, 5 power.  same ratings as what you see on your dobyns for lure weights, line size.

;D

love tossing 1/2 - 3/4 ounce stuff on it.  or up to 1 ounce c-rigs... also use it for small swimbaits (by small, I mean up to 3 ounces, stuff like glide baits, etc)  very very versatile rod.  can do a lot of things.  again:  you should be good.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:48:53 PM by coldfront »

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 07:27:44 PM »

Most of the hollow body frogs I see don't weigh 1.5 ounces, so I'll give it a shot and see how it does...

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 07:48:06 PM »

Most of the hollow body frogs I see don't weigh 1.5 ounces, so I'll give it a shot and see how it does...
1.5 oz is a hefty lure. You're going to feel it on that 735.

Fun4me

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 08:00:17 PM »

1.5 oz is a hefty lure. You're going to feel it on that 735.

This^^^^^^

I throw a S-Waver 165 on my Fury 735c. According to TW, it weights 1 5/8 ounces. I wouldn't dare wind up and sling it. I mostly lob it when I fish it, because the rod doesn't seem to like that much weight IMO.

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 08:12:28 AM »

I want to double check, but I've weighed 2 of my frogs.  One says 1/2 oz. on box and the other 5/8 oz on box.  Both weighed less than 1/2 oz.  A surprise to me as lures normally weigh more than their listing.

OP, it wouldn't hurt to weigh that lure.  I weighed a 5/8 oz. Storm Wildeye Swim Shad.  Actual weight was a full ounce.  Whoa!  Surprise.  You are going to need a sturdy rod.  Personally I wouldn't use anything less than a Heavy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 24 queries.