Recommended Spinning Reel?

Started by strongx, July 15, 2020, 09:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strongx

Hey guys. I got a couple of extreme spinning rods on the way (742 and 743) and will be looking for the right reels. Ive generally used less expensive presidents and silver max's with my cheaper rods and they have done fine. Maybe I shouldn't mess with a good thing, but I was curious if a certain reel would balance better with these rods? I have been looking at the pfluegers, lews custom pro, and ci4. Thoughts?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: strongx on July 15, 2020, 09:02:54 AM
Hey guys. I got a couple of extreme spinning rods on the way (742 and 743) and will be looking for the right reels. Ive generally used less expensive presidents and silver max's with my cheaper rods and they have done fine. Maybe I shouldn't mess with a good thing, but I was curious if a certain reel would balance better with these rods? I have been looking at the pfluegers, lews custom pro, and ci4. Thoughts?

If Pluegers have been working for you, don't fix it if ain't broken. The reels might actually balance better on the new incoming rods.

Mike Cork

Truly I'm with Lou in that if you like the reels then there really is no reason to mess with it. However if you are wanting to sweet'n things, the Ci4 is very smooth and will balance well.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on July 15, 2020, 12:37:33 PM
Truly I'm with Lou in that if you like the reels then there really is no reason to mess with it. However if you are wanting to sweet'n things, the Ci4 is very smooth and will balance well.

The Ci4 is a sweet reel, I enjoy mine.  ;D

bro_drey

I have the stradic f 2500 and I'll vouch by that. Also have 2 penn battles (the tank of all reels) in my survival bag. Abus revo series are great as well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippyduck

I also am a fan of the Ci4 and other Shimano spinning reels.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

loomisguy

The Shimano or Daiwa of your choice. The new Shimano Vanford looks promising, probably the replacement for the ci4.

strongx

Thanks guys. I'll have to catch one of those shimanos or daiwas on sale and give them a try. Is there a weight limit I should shoot for or are we splitting hairs? Will a 7 oz reel really make a difference vs a 9 oz reel on those extreme spinning rods?

RocBass

Been using the Diawa Fuego LT and the Exceler LT recently.   Very impressed with both; especially the Exceler for the price point.  Main difference is the Fuego is sealed; so if you're fishing freshwater then the Exceler will serve you well for a lower price.  Both very smooth and light reels.  I was a Pflueger president and supreme user; which were very good, however, switching over to Daiwa LT Fuego and Exceler now.

Dink Dawg

The Daiwa Tatula 3000 LT.  You get a 3000 spool on a 2500 series body and they match and balance nicely with your Xtremes. 

apenland01

NM...

FD

I would stick with the presidents. I have two that are at least 15 years old, ride around in the bottom of my rod box, I've never even thought about servicing them, and yet every time I pull them out they cast perfectly.
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

FlatsNBay

If you like the Presidents, the Pflueger Supreme is an amazing reel for the $100 range. I've got one and everyone that tries it, loves it. My buddy that is an inshore saltwater guide uses them exclusively for everyday use because they are bullet proof, light and buttery smooth.

I also have a Daiwa Fuego and that is an amazing reel too for the same price point. It's super light, smooth and is a great reel.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

strongx

Thanks guys. Another question: I notice some of these spinning reels hold nearly twice as much line as others.

Is there an advantage too having more or less line? I've always assumed I need to replace the entire spool when I replace line.

apenland01

Line capacity is dictated by spool size.  The larger the spool, the lower the likelihood you will experience wind knots/twist knots with your reel...

strongx

Quote from: apenland01 on July 30, 2020, 05:50:57 PM
Line capacity is dictated by spool size.  The larger the spool, the lower the likelihood you will experience wind knots/twist knots with your reel...
Thx. Ive wondered about some of those twists. I want to make sure I understand:

The bigger the spool, then the less line it holds or more line it holds? And larger spools minimize the twists.

LgMouthGambler

Larger spool, more line. Usually the model number goes higher in the numerics to coincide with it.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

The larger spool, besides holding more line and reducing line twist, lets the line come off smoother allowing longer casts.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

strongx

Thanks guys. And I've called myself a fisherman for 50 yrs! Lol

Smallie_Stalker

I'm a Pflueger guy for spinning reels. Normally I use the Patriarchs on my bass rods and the Presidents on my panfish and backup bass rods.

I put a Pflueger Supreme XT 30 size reel on my Extreme 743 Sf and it balances right in front of the foregrip. I posted some pics here: http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=151430.0.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire