Son threw rod/reel in the water

Started by TNDiver, July 20, 2020, 02:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

Don't ask.  I don't know how it happened, but we couldn't find it.  I watched it sink and move with the current.  Went into the water to try to find it, but couldn't.  In any event, thinking about upgrading him to a bait caster.  What is a good work horse reel that you would recommend that doesn't break the bank or what should I look for in a cheaper bait caster? 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

WTodd

Don't go cheap; get one that you'll (or him) use for a long time. Try the Shimano Citica.

When I started revamping my rods and reels about 8 years ago the Citica was the first reel I bought. I take it with me every time I go out; it's my fluke reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacobguy

I got my Daiwa Fuego about a year and a half ago and its still working like new. I kinda abuse that reel a bit, its my kayak and all around reel. Got it for $80 on amazon.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

The Shimano SLX is another good option.

Mike Cork

They don't make the Citica anymore but you can find used ones out there.

But depending on your appeal, the Shimano SLX is an great option, or Daiwa the Fuego is great.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

I'd go with either a Tatula CT or Lew's Speed Spool LFS and a Dobyns Colt.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TNDiver

SO I found the DIawa for $80, got it in left hand mode.  Then "got him" a Dobyns FR 704 C rod.  Might give him my old Carrot Stick and swipe the Dobyns!  ~roflmao

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Mike Cork

Quote from: TNDiver on July 20, 2020, 04:44:26 PM
SO I found the DIawa for $80, got it in left hand mode.  Then "got him" a Dobyns FR 704 C rod.  Might give him my old Carrot Stick and swipe the Dobyns~roflmao

Yep....

Cork's Reel Service

TNDiver

Might need a leash for him to connect to the rod!  ~roflmao

Mike Cork

LOL, it happens, I bet he's much more careful now. However if you fear a repeat, they sell a balloon product that deploys like a inflatable PFD when it hits the water. It's small and attaches to the base of the rod.

However you have to weigh the cost of such products and the value of equipment being used. If you're giving him something brand new it might be worth it.

Cork's Reel Service

TNDiver

Quote from: Mike Cork on July 20, 2020, 05:06:42 PM
LOL, it happens, I bet he's much more careful now. However if you fear a repeat, they sell a balloon product that deploys like a inflatable PFD when it hits the water. It's small and attaches to the base of the rod.

However you have to weigh the cost of such products and the value of equipment being used. If you're giving him something brand new it might be worth it.

The heck with that, I am going to tie a rope around the base of the reel and loop it around his neck in a slip knot! lo

Captsteve

Lo Lo

Any day fishing, is a good day.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

zippyduck

Quote from: TNDiver on July 20, 2020, 05:14:52 PM
The heck with that, I am going to tie a rope around the base of the reel and loop it around his neck in a slip knot! lo

~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

That will be a great set-up.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: TNDiver on July 20, 2020, 05:14:52 PM

Its not child abuse if you can prove in court that he is clumsy.  ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

TNDiver

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 21, 2020, 07:24:39 AM
Its not child abuse if you can prove in court that he is clumsy.  ~roflmao

What really scares me, is he would probably let me do it!

cbburke

HAHAHA - good one
Quote from: TNDiver on July 21, 2020, 12:04:22 PM
What really scares me, is he would probably let me do it!

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

TNDiver

Got him all set up with 30 lb braid, my old Carrot Stix and the Diawa Fuego.  Not teaching him to cast with a bait caster.  There will be a learning curve for sure as he has never used one

Bassinkorea

You'll be surprised how quickly he picks it up.
I switched my daughter from spinning to baitcasting last year and she picked it up really quick. Having the braid really helps though, as any backlashes are easily removed. She hates using spinning gear now  lo
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

FD

Soak the braid with KVD line and lure conditioner or WD40 and the back lashes come out even easier.

Take him in the back yard.  Make him stand on a bucket and teach him to pitch at paper plates first.  Use a 1 oz weight. He will learn thumb control quickly.  That's how I taught my 2 monkeys and they were casting like a pro within days.
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

TNDiver

Yeah I haven't used the KVD line conditioner, but I did think about it.  I showed him how to pitch, but yeah, may want to start him on that.  Probably not a bad idea.  I have a brick Wall ledge he can stand on to pitch from. 

the kid is a card.  I was visiting a buddy up north and asked him how it was going and he said. Good.  I said that's good and he replied, I can cast 2 feet and spend 30 seconds undoing the birds nest.  But I am getting better with the birds nests!  ~roflmao

caddyjoe77

i think its a right of passage for a young boy to do that.  I did it, once.  next rod had a wrist loop.  shortly thereafter a spinning reel was in my hand. 
BeerMe

geneinnc

I remember launching my dads rig off the Pier at Windy Hill Beach.

I'm open to any good gear but I seem to end up with another Abu Garcia Revo X.
I think I'm closing on a baker's doze of them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bsrowlet

Back before my brother passed many years ago, we were fishing on Lake cumberland
and he said to me "watch this cast, this is how it's done.
He casted pole and all in.  Funniest thing I ever saw. 

3crows

I am a Shimano guy and make no apology for it so keep that in mind. I like the basic Shimano SLX, they are rugged and strong reels and can be upgraded if wanted. I use several aboard my kayak where they get dunked and drug through sand and then I dunk them some more to get the sand off and they just work.

And another outfit that I really like if you can find on sale, the Shimano Caius combo, I got mine for $99 and I love it, again, it serves kayak duty but even if I had a fancy bass boat (instead fo my fancy salt water Boston Whaler boat) I would still like the Caius combo. Sometimes you can also find the SLX combo for around $150 which is a pretty nice outfit, again, only my opinion as a casual fisherman, non-pro.

When I was in college, let me explain, I am a SCUBA diver, this being back in the early 70s, not many divers around then and I would make spending money from the local dive shop for recovery. Usually fishermen who have lost their rod and reel overboard or better yet their motor. I charged, back then, $60 per hour, recovery or not. I was always honest and told folks that unless you know exactly, and I mean exactly!!!!!!, where you lost your rod, motor, whatever, it will be impossible or at least highly unlikely and I did not give refunds. And to finish the story quickly, it would be maybe one in ten that I recovered. The best was an outboard motor, the kid said he lost his dad's motor right here and I look around, near a hundred square yards of 30 feet deep murky water, yeah, right :(. I spent three hours looking for it and gave up cold and exhausted. I felt bad so only charged him for an hour. That night I had an epiphany, I figured he lost the motor not where he thought he did but nearer to a bar on a straight line from the channel to the landing. I went back on my own time that weekend and sure enough found it. The dad, mom and son showed up to get the motor, I called them right away, I got another $180, I only asked for another $60! I think the kid probably spent the rest of the summer working that off for dad and mom.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

TNDiver

Good heads up move on the motor!  I scuba dive as well.  I am trained in search and recovery, but have yet to do it. I may start working with a guy doing it around our lakes.