Speed clips

Started by TNDiver, July 24, 2020, 08:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

I have been using Speed Clips since I believe Bud sold me on them.  But the problem is I love the quickness of them I use them for everything.  I got to thinking that I am probably losing out on some feel of bites, etc when using it T-rig or on a Jig.  Is this a real concern or am I fine?
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Bud Kennedy

TN, Don't Blame me....I have never used them.  I am a direct tie sort of guy.  I will use regular clips from time to time depending upon my vision or if I am crank baiting and changing baits often.  I will continue to tie however as long as the old eye holds out.

Princeton_Man

I've been using Norman Lures Speed Clips for years and I'm probably responsible for your addiction. I only use them for my hard baits and Frogs. I wouldn't recommend them for anything else. Yes, they could affect your ability to detect a tap on a t-rig. They'll also cause you to loose a wire bait like a spinner or buzzbait.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bassinkorea

I use them for Crankbaits and Jerkbaits only here. For everything else I tie direct to the eye.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

TNDiver

OK that's what I thought.  Who knows who I heard it from, it could have been you PM, but I don't think so.  Oh well, need to change my habits up a bit
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Princeton_Man

Quote from: TNDiver on July 25, 2020, 07:22:54 AM
OK that's what I thought.  Who knows who I heard it from, it could have been you PM, but I don't think so.  Oh well, need to change my habits up a bit

I remove the split rings from all of my hard baits and connect directly to the speed Clips. The Speed Clip acts as a split ring. Wire baits tend to work in between the split ring part of the Speed Clip during repeated casts and before you know it your spinner bait casts farther than ever before.... without your line.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Tatsu Dave

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on July 24, 2020, 08:46:43 PM
TN, Don't Blame me....I have never used them.  I am a direct tie sort of guy.  I will use regular clips from time to time depending upon my vision or if I am crank baiting and changing baits often.  I will continue to tie however as long as the old eye holds out.

Agree with Bud, a direct tie guy, I just carry a lot of rods so I can change colors or lures quick. Harder to tie fast as I get older but its the way I've always fished, with flouro feel is a big deal to me.