Alligator Alley last night was a bust!

Started by Backlash123, August 07, 2020, 01:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backlash123

Fished the Alley last night out of MM35.  I can't remember when I've seen the water so high out there.  Not a whisper of wind and muggy.  Managed one bite at one of the bridges, then nothing!  Fished from about 5:30pm till 9:00pm.  Had to leave because the mosquitos were trying to pick me up off the front deck.

Have to get out there when there's a little bit of wind and fish late into the night.

It's looking really tough out there though.

big g

Thanks for the report, being a long time Alley fisherman I am with you on the summer doldrums.  It's been hard out there and only getting tougher as the water goes up.  I give you a lot of credit for fighting the mosquitos.   ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Appreciate the report Backlash. Sorry to hear the conditions were challenging. This is a very tough time of year in that area. The mosquitoes are BRUTAL out there once the sun goes down.

LgMouthGambler

It does suck that the water is high, as I love night fishing out there. Hopefully, soon, it turns. But I wont get my hopes up.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 10, 2020, 09:51:32 AM
It does suck that the water is high, as I love night fishing out there. Hopefully, soon, it turns. But I wont get my hopes up.  lo

Sadly when the water is this high, fishing doesn't usually begin to turn around til the end of the year.  :'( :'(

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on August 10, 2020, 10:01:42 AM
Sadly when the water is this high, fishing doesn't usually begin to turn around til the end of the year.  :'( :'(

Yeah, I know. Seeing as how the fishing has been quite chit lately, I have been working on getting the BMX bike ready to ride again. Got Tory one as well so we can go exploring when I know it aint worth a damn to get out and fish.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 10, 2020, 10:27:46 AM
Yeah, I know. Seeing as how the fishing has been quite chit lately, I have been working on getting the BMX bike ready to ride again. Got Tory one as well so we can go exploring when I know it aint worth a damn to get out and fish.

Or.... go explore and find different waters to fish in the mean time...  lo

BMX bike riding?? Are you re-living your childhood or something??  ~roflmao

Next I'm going to read how long you can hold a wheelie and jumping home made ramps in the street.  lo lo

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on August 10, 2020, 10:36:12 AM
Or.... go explore and find different waters to fish in the mean time...  lo

BMX bike riding?? Are you re-living your childhood or something??  ~roflmao

Next I'm going to read how long you can hold a wheelie and jumping home made ramps in the street.  lo lo

I could explore waters, but eff it. I havent been riding a bike in a long time. I need to get my exercise, and Tory wants to start too. I dont care to run personally, and riding a bike is fun! No jumping ramps for me anymore, my last major spill stopped that 10 years ago,.  lo BMX bikes are fun man! Easy to take around as they arent big and bulky, and last a long time over those junk $100 Wallyworld bikes. So I found her one with pink accents, and I ordered some pink parts when I did some midnight shopping for my bike.  lo

Backlash123

The alley is tough for sure with high water.  The night bite usually starts in the alley late summer, Aug/Sept.  I know it's been tough, because I'm not seeing the catch pictures on Facebook as you usually do in the summer from the local hammers.

Let's see, maybe it will turn around quickly.

Good luck out there everyone!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Backlash123 on August 13, 2020, 08:53:12 AM
The alley is tough for sure with high water.  The night bite usually starts in the alley late summer, Aug/Sept.  I know it's been tough, because I'm not seeing the catch pictures on Facebook as you usually do in the summer from the local hammers.

Let's see, maybe it will turn around quickly.

Good luck out there everyone!

I sure hope so. I would think if the night bite picks up, some day time action would be had too , no?

Backlash123

In my experience, there will be some day action but less.  It's just so hot that the fish are just lethargic and won't move very far to feed.  When that water cools down at night (even if it's just a few degrees), I've seen it get crazy.  I've had trips out there at night were I've almost had the rod taken out of my hands because they hit so hard.  It's a different world out there at night, it definitely takes some getting used to.

I think there's going to be a tournament out there on Aug 29th, from like 6:00pm - 2:00am.  A buddy of mine Drew is the one that runs the tournament (Hawg City Nights).  I'll find out if it's going on and post the info here.  Some of the best night fisherman are usually there. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Backlash123 on August 17, 2020, 07:38:30 AM
In my experience, there will be some day action but less.  It's just so hot that the fish are just lethargic and won't move very far to feed.  When that water cools down at night (even if it's just a few degrees), I've seen it get crazy.  I've had trips out there at night were I've almost had the rod taken out of my hands because they hit so hard.  It's a different world out there at night, it definitely takes some getting used to.

I think there's going to be a tournament out there on Aug 29th, from like 6:00pm - 2:00am.  A buddy of mine Drew is the one that runs the tournament (Hawg City Nights).  I'll find out if it's going on and post the info here.  Some of the best night fisherman are usually there.

Thank you for the follow up Backlash. If that tournament has poor results with that many experienced night fishing anglers, then you know its really slow out there. Keep us posted.  ~beer~