A New Favorite! Part 3

Started by Dam0007, August 17, 2020, 01:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dam0007

Sup all,

Having a stupid year tournament wise. BFL schedule has been changed around endlessly to 2 double headers and the super at a different location. UGH! Anyhow 4 down and I'm sitting in 12th place overall in my division. Super is next in line in 2 weeks. Guaranteed regional appearance this fall! Wish the Toyota schedule wasn't screwed up too I was soooooo looking forward to Champlain. Enough about me though, let's get to the JUICE!

I had wrote a review for this rod but have scrapped it because after this past weekend on the Potomac I have put this bad boy through all sorts of hell. Let me get the ball rolling in typical A New Favorite! Fashion...

I fish top water, lots of top water, from the first bed I see till my guides get ice build up. I have experimented with Dobyns lineup across the board to find the one do it all top water rod and never really found one. I'd use the DC 685CB for poppers. FR 705CB for larger poppers, pencils and 90 Whopper Ploppers. DC 733C for walking baits up to 110 size. DC 734 for Ribbits and Buzzbaits and larger whopper ploppers. My go to as some might know is magnum walking baits. 734 doesn't have the flex to keep em pinned for my liking and the 733 is too soft for those heavier baits. I experimented a lot with the 764 and 5CB as alternates but too long I'd slap the water and too heavy for long days. So in all up until this year I'd have 4-5 rods specific for top water. That's just too much. Then I have the issue of multi purpose rods being ready with different lines for different applications. It's just a unrealistic situation to be efficient tournament fishing or cost friendly for a weekend angler. But the legend Gary Dobyns has solved my dilemma in a way that everyone can appreciate.

Drumroll please................

KADEN 743C

Kaden what??? Yes ladies and gentlemen, the newest series to enter the Dobyns lineup has quickly become a staple in my arsenal with several models but the 743 is by far my favorite and possibly the greatest top water rod ever created.

So first let me start by what I got going on here. I have the rod paired with a Tatula 100 8:1, 60th Anniversary Edition to match the red aesthetics. I'm running 50lb Braid to a 20lb mono leader. The rod features Seaguides XO Guide train and they do their job great. I haven't had any issues what so ever with them from using braid and to be honest they aren't as loud as other brands. The balance of this rod is incredible. I haven't weighed the combo but it feels feather light in hand which is great for long days of working top water baits. I'm not dying from back pain in between my shoulder blades after several back to back days and thousands of casts. The rod is a fast action but the taper goes nicely into the backbone giving the parabolic bend you want for fishing treble hooked baits. This helps keep the fish pinned. One thing that has surprised me is the build of the blank itself. (Gary please chime in with the actual tech as I'll probably butcher it. lo) The Kaden blank is unsanded showing a spiral wound graphite. I'm not 100% positive this is the leading reason why but the rod casts extremely accurate! I'm able to pitch large 130 size baits up under and around lay downs and below over hanging trees precisely, as well as small baits that weigh significantly less. When making super long casts with force you can really get that country mile distance out of baits of all sizes. Sensitivity!!! Why do you need sensitivity in a top water rod??? Well the short answer is, why not! This rod can do so much more than top water. I have also experimented with shaky heads, small jigs, spinner baits, rippin traps and dead sticking senkos. For my arsenal I already have other applications covered. This rod just so happens to fill the void of the ONE top water rod I could ever need.

Don't confuse this rod with the DC 733 or DX 743. It really is it's own animal. If your in the market for a great top water rod or a versatile light weight pitching stick that's not going to break the bank, this rod is for you. Unfortunately it will not be available to purchase till the end of the year but it is definitely something to consider in the off season.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, stay safe out there and tight lines!

- Dave Miller
MLF Angler - Dobyns Rods, Reynolds Marine, Phoenix Boats, Woo! Tungsten, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Power Pole, Costa

IG: @dam0007bass

zippyduck

Thanks for the review !

That may have just made my list of new rods.

Best of luck with the rest of your season.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Dam0007

Quote from: zippyduck on August 17, 2020, 02:01:57 PM
Thanks for the review !

That may have just made my list of new rods.

Best of luck with the rest of your season.

Thanks Brother!
MLF Angler - Dobyns Rods, Reynolds Marine, Phoenix Boats, Woo! Tungsten, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Power Pole, Costa

IG: @dam0007bass

Smallie_Stalker

Great write-up Dave.  ~c~  Always look forward to your reviews.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire