Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Recommendations For Swim Jig Specific Rod ?

(Read 740 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

chrisD46

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
*Looking for a  swim jig specific rod for 1/4 oz. ~ 1/2 oz. swim jigs in and around average  moderate / sporadic cover in reservoirs ? ... Most swim jig experts opt for a M to MH / F rod with 80 / 20 bend that you can easily "pulse" with your wrist during the retrieve that is also light weight (don't want tennis elbow working a swim jig - so around 7' rod length or so that is light , well balanced and with a fairly short butt). Lastly , I believe you should be able to find such a specific swim jig rod for under $200 without breaking the bank ... Your recommendations ?

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
6í8 ď mojo bass by st croix is what Iím using itís m/xf . I love it doesnít break the bank either some of the glass rods a lot of people recommend can be pricey this moves just like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
  • Working too much, more fishing time needed!!
you are going to get a lot of Dobyns, and in that arena, I would be looking at a 684 or a 704 IMO.  If you are open to other brands, don't pass on a hammer rod -- I throw an A-Rig regularly (when it is the right time) and have a cranking rod from them -- me likey -- a lot.  Great price -- IMO Hammer seems to have a little more of a parabolic bend (completely my opinion -- YMMV). 
BeerMe

chrisD46

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
*I have a  Dobyns Sierra 734c. and a 735c. but have not broke either one out yet to try with a swim jig ... I'm still researching .

Bassinlou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
*I have a  Dobyns Sierra 734c. and a 735c. but have not broke either one out yet to try with a swim jig ... I'm still researching .

If you have those 2 Sierra's already, honestly there's no more need to research, imho. The 735 will fit the bill nicely for swimjigs applications. The 734 for the lighter swimjigs. My shortest rods are minimum 7 feet. I'm not a fan of shorter rods. My swimjig rod is the CH735, and it gets the job done quite nicely.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
Lou nailed this one IMO. Those 2 Sierra models should do you just fine.

Posted Using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
  • Working too much, more fishing time needed!!
you should be good to go based on what you said
BeerMe

chrisD46

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Thank you for the replies , I imagine no play for the Sierra 733c.  MH/ F with swim jigs ? The Dobyns MH may be more like a strong Medium than a  MH / F as with other rod manufactures .

Bassinlou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
Thank you for the replies , I imagine no play for the Sierra 733c.  MH/ F with swim jigs ? The Dobyns MH may be more like a strong Medium than a  MH / F as with other rod manufactures .

I wouldn't personally use a 733 for a swimjig application. Not enough sticking power for swimjigs with stout hooks for my taste. But that's me.

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I've really grown to love my Extreme 704 (DX704c) for 1/4 to 3/8oz swim jigs this season. Makes a good spinnerbait rod for those weight ranges as well. If I was going to jump up to a little bit heavier swim jigs or very heavy grass, I highly recommend the Megabass Diablo Spec R. It's got a touch more power than say a Dobyns 734c, but it's got that same action that we all love about the 734.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament