Favorite large worm?

Started by bro_drey, August 31, 2020, 11:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bro_drey

Look what I found in stock at local farm and garden store
Have to say it's between this and zooms ol monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

That was an exclusive in my fathers boat. Mann's Jelly worms in Blue and Grape both with and without fire tails...

For me it's Mister Twisters Hang 10 and their new 12" Buzz worm ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

loomisguy

Net Bait or the ol' Monster. 

Smallie_Stalker

Out of all the different ones I have, for me it's a toss up between the Doc Irv Big Bad Boy 16 inch and the Berkley Power Bait 12 inch.

Posted Using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bro_drey

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on August 31, 2020, 12:13:40 PM
Out of all the different ones I have, for me it's a toss up between the Doc Irv Big Bad Boy 16 inch and the Berkley Power Bait 12 inch.

Posted Using Tapatalk
The 12" Berkley is that the ribbon tail?

bro_drey

Quote from: loomisguy on August 31, 2020, 12:02:42 PM
Net Bait or the ol' Monster.
Never tried net bait what brand is that

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: bro_drey on August 31, 2020, 01:41:14 PM
The 12" Berkley is that the ribbon tail?

Yes sir!

Posted Using Tapatalk

squirrel73

How do you fish these?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

bro_drey

I like to t rig the jellies with a 1/16-3/32nd bullet weight unpegged
Or flat out t rig with a 5/0-7/0
Ol monster I use a 5/0 weighted wide gap shakey.
When fish takes it I wait for a bit don't jack him right awAy . Honestly I feel him hit watch my line move in the water and hit him 1-2 seconds later ( give him time to take all that worm in ) or else you just rip it right out of their mouth .

Smallie_Stalker

I mostly fish mine on a Carolina rig. But with the Doc Irv Bug Bad Boy worm I have him make them with extra floatant so I can also use a light bullet weight, usually 1/16 or 1/8 oz. and swim it on top of or in the opening and pockets of pads to mimic the small snakes we see in the ponds.

Posted Using Tapatalk

caddyjoe77

i like the bullworm as well in 10".  the standard ones and the big ones are both good. 
BeerMe

squirrel73

Thanks guys. I'll try each and see what works best for me. Never used the larger worms but always wondered if they just rigged as normal.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

bro_drey

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on August 31, 2020, 09:59:53 PM
I mostly fish mine on a Carolina rig. But with the Doc Irv Bug Bad Boy worm I have him make them with extra floatant so I can also use a light bullet weight, usually 1/16 or 1/8 oz. and swim it on top of or in the opening and pockets of pads to mimic the small snakes we see in the ponds.

Posted Using Tapatalk
Now that I want to try .

SteveTX

My main big worms.
Mann's 12" Jelly worm favorite color Black Grape
Culprit 12" favorite color June Bug

I have used 5/0 strait shank flipping style hooks on these with no issues but I picked up some of these Owner Oversize Worm Hooks in 11/0 and have had success. The Owner 11/0 hook itself sits so far back that even if the bass misses the head he gets the hook. The worms are so long they aren't affected in any way action wise. Both hooks work but to keep tackle simplified the 5/0 is my go to.

I throw these weightless T rigged on 40 or 50 lb Sufix 832.

I'll add one more not huge length but the Xcite Baits 10 1/2" Maximus is a pretty darn good floating worm. I like this one for a Shakey Head.

bro_drey

Quote from: SteveTX on September 01, 2020, 11:21:13 AM
My main big worms.
Mann's 12" Jelly worm favorite color Black Grape
Culprit 12" favorite color June Bug

I have used 5/0 strait shank flipping style hooks on these with no issues but I picked up some of these Owner Oversize Worm Hooks in 11/0 and have had success. The Owner 11/0 hook itself sits so far back that even if the bass misses the head he gets the hook. The worms are so long they aren't affected in any way action wise. Both hooks work but to keep tackle simplified the 5/0 is my go to.

I throw these weightless T rigged on 40 or 50 lb Sufix 832.

I'll add one more not huge length but the Xcite Baits 10 1/2" Maximus is a pretty darn good floating worm. I like this one for a Shakey Head.
I have some owner 11/0 on the way lol

FlatsNBay

I like the Yum ribbontail. It has great action and is 10" in length. For a more subtle presentation the Yum Mighty Worm is a straight tail worm and is 10.5 inches long.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

bro_drey

Quote from: FlatsNBay on September 01, 2020, 06:10:42 PM
I like the Yum ribbontail. It has great action and is 10" in length. For a more subtle presentation the Yum Mighty Worm is a straight tail worm and is 10.5 inches long.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
In my earlier days of fishing I used to love the yum dingers thought that recessed place for the hook when you t rig was the best thing since sliced bread lol

bro_drey

Quote from: bro_drey on September 01, 2020, 06:19:48 PM
In my earlier days of fishing I used to love the yum dingers thought that recessed place for the hook when you t rig was the best thing since sliced bread lol

In me never tried their larger worms though have to check it out

Oldfart9999

I like the Berkeley 10 inch worm, it has a ribbon tail, light weight, dead sticking, swimming slowly Carolina rigged, weightless and working through grass beds. Another big worm I use is the 7 inch BPS STICKO, it's a fat bait that doesn't give off a lot of action compared to the other worms mentioned but it works well on rock piles, grass edges and open areas. It works well moved slowly weighted and unweighted.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

loomisguy

I seldom T-rig anything anymore outside of a floating worm. I like a 1/2 oz. Shaky head on the Ol' Monster and C-mac.
I've been using one from a local company that has a centering pin and screw on bait keeper.
That keeps the worm from balling up in the hook gap when you set the hook. 
It comes through brush piles great and has a stout hook.

FD

10" Ribbon Tail

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

rich12

Mann's 12 inch Grape Jelly Worm.  Been wearing out big bass ever since it hit the market.  When all else fails, toss a Grape Jelly Worm.

bro_drey

Quote from: rich12 on September 09, 2020, 08:35:56 PM
Mann's 12 inch Grape Jelly Worm.  Been wearing out big bass ever since it hit the market.  When all else fails, toss a Grape Jelly Worm.
I'm a new school fisherman but you just can't replicate the action those things do naturally.seems like a perfect buoyancy ratio for weightless and the paddle tail is perfect for weighted

loomisguy

I remember going to the store that was attached to the Mann's factory on Eufala when I was a kid with my dad .
They had all those jelly worms in big bins and the smell in that room was something else.
Back then the Jelly worm and Fliptails were about all we had.. In fact we were on our way to Rodman and I caught one over 9 on a fliptail .
Maybe it's me and a confidence thing but I can't get them to bite it anymore. The ribbon tail has pretty much taken over for me.
I have no idea who owns Mann's these days but I would like to have some of the old stingray grubs.