Spinning Only

Started by James77, September 11, 2020, 01:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James77

I've been trying and trying to figure out baitcasters, I can't to save my life. I'm good with spinners, have no problem hardly at all with'em. Can I be a good bass angler with just spinning? Crankbaits, spinnerbaits, texas rigs, carolina rigs and so on?

Smallie_Stalker

It wouldn't be optimal for some things, like pitching for example, but it could be done.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

James77

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 11, 2020, 02:40:30 PM
It wouldn't be optimal for some things, like pitching for example, but it could be done.

I mean I'd love to know how to use one. I can't do anything with out a birdnest!!! I've got a Kastking Spartacus Plus. Anyone know how to set these up?

ike8120

Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Smallie_Stalker

Mike wrote an excellent little piece on this subject here: http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=147997.0

The advice he gives there is universally true no matter what brand of baitcaster you use.  ~sun

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 11, 2020, 03:21:57 PM
Mike wrote an excellent little piece on this subject here: http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=147997.0

The advice he gives there is universally true no matter what brand of baitcaster you use.  ~sun

That's a great article by Mike. I learned how to use the b/c later in my life. I was in my mid-twenties when I was introduced to the world of b/c's. Took me a little while, but as I practiced, and practiced, and became proficient at it. Now my arsenal consists of 90% b/c's and 10% spinners.

@ the OP, sounds like you may have to adjust your settings a little better. I used a practice plug for a while. Another option maybe an old used Hollow Body Frog. They are a good weight for casting practice.  :-* :-* Stick with it. Good luck!!

Pferox

There are people who just can't get the hang of using a Bait Caster, and function very well with spinning gear, with practice, you can do just about anything with a spinner that you can with a BC.

However, keeping up and eventually learning to use a Bait Caster would be to your advantage with some presentations and line twist, just to bring up one concern.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

James77

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 11, 2020, 04:29:07 PM
That's a great article by Mike. I learned how to use the b/c later in my life. I was in my mid-twenties when I was introduced to the world of b/c's. Took me a little while, but as I practiced, and practiced, and became proficient at it. Now my arsenal consists of 90% b/c's and 10% spinners.

@ the OP, sounds like you may have to adjust your settings a little better. I used a practice plug for a while. Another option maybe an old used Hollow Body Frog. They are a good weight for casting practice.  :-* :-* Stick with it. Good luck!!

That was it!!!! Just got frustrated....heat of the moment! LOL! She's casting like a dream now!!! I read something about what to set the magnetic brake on and what to set the centrifigal brake on, and what to set the spool knob. I casted it tonight with no thumb......no backlash!!!! Not that I'm gonna make that a practice. Now.......what lures can I fish on these things? I know weightless is out of the question.......or is it?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: James77 on September 11, 2020, 10:19:32 PM
That was it!!!! Just got frustrated....heat of the moment! LOL! She's casting like a dream now!!! I read something about what to set the magnetic brake on and what to set the centrifigal brake on, and what to set the spool knob. I casted it tonight with no thumb......no backlash!!!! Not that I'm gonna make that a practice. Now.......what lures can I fish on these things? I know weightless is out of the question.......or is it?

Good to hear it, and no weightless, is not out of the question. Some situations will require a weightless presentation. What rod and reel do you have?

James77

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 12, 2020, 05:39:29 AM
Good to hear it, and no weightless, is not out of the question. Some situations will require a weightless presentation. What rod and reel do you have?

Kastking Spartacus Plus on an Ugly Stick GX2 7ft, medium/heavy. I was practicing some lastnight, and backlashed, LOL! I casted, my plug hit something......BOOM! Oh well.......glad I got some cheap mono!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: James77 on September 12, 2020, 09:25:46 AM
Kastking Spartacus Plus on an Ugly Stick GX2 7ft, medium/heavy. I was practicing some lastnight, and backlashed, LOL! I casted, my plug hit something......BOOM! Oh well.......glad I got some cheap mono!

Suddenly colliding with an object during a cast will do that. Ask me how I know.  ;D

bigjim5589

I only used spinning gear for a lot of years, because that was all I had. Once I went to baitcasters, I added several, but I also fished for other fish besides bass.

If you stick with spinning gear, I found that one rod won't do everything well, which was another reason I decided to give the casting gear a try. I figured if I was going to add more rods, they should be geared towards specific techniques, and spinning gear often is not.

I have a several spinning outfits too now, and they're still a part of my fishing, so if it works for you, then no real need to go to baitcasters. Both are good to have & use, but not for everyone. I'm not a tournament anglers, so learning to use them both was just for my own personal satisfaction & enjoyment.

You could give fly fishing a try! Now there's something that also takes some time to learn to do properly and you might be giving baitcasters a second thought!  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: James77 on September 12, 2020, 09:25:46 AM
I know it's tempting to not want to use your thumb, and many modern baitcasters make ot easier to do that without a backlash.

But having a thumb on the spool can help minimize those backlashes that result from a collision like that. If you see your lure is about to hit something you can just apply a little more pressure and stop the spool before the collision.

If you have no thumb on the spool, and then try and use your thumb to stop it completely from a free-spin that would essentially be the same as a collision and you would almost certainly get a backlash doing that too.

Learning to get a gently thumbed spool is the best guard against frequent backlashes.

Posted Using Tapatalk

njpaulc

When you are practicing, make your first cast, strip some line off the spool, about half of what you just cast out, and wrap some masking tape around the rest of the line on the spool, if you baklash, it won't go past hte tape and be easy to pick out.

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 11, 2020, 04:29:07 PM

Mid-twenties is later in life?  Wow!  No wonder I was unable to become an expert in an hour with a baitcast reel.  I was 61 when I got my first low profile reel.  Had tried an Abu 5001C at about 30, but didn't know a single person that used one, and had zero idea how to set one up.  Immediately gave up.

OP, I cast a 10" unweighted ribbontail worms all the time on baitcast gear.  More than enough weight for a BC.  Also have several combos that I cast #5 Shad Raps on.  And I am not all that good with a baitcast reel.  Plenty of guys that started earlier in life (like mid-twenties  lo ) cast much lighter.  It does require the right rod and reel...at least for me.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: 1ReelFanatik on September 13, 2020, 07:45:23 AM
Mid-twenties is later in life?  Wow!  No wonder I was unable to become an expert in an hour with a baitcast reel.  I was 61 when I got my first low profile reel.  Had tried an Abu 5001C at about 30, but didn't know a single person that used one, and had zero idea how to set one up.  Immediately gave up.

lo lo... I knew I was going to get a laugh from someone as soon as I completed that statement...  lo lo

~beer~

FD

One thing adding to your issues is the whip in the Ugly stick.  I would upgrade the rod when you can.

Most dont understand that the reel is only half of the equation in casting...

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

apenland01

Probably 70% of my fishing is on a spinning rig of some form because I toss a lot of lightweight stuff.  I use my baitcasters for jigs and heavier baits.  Baitcasters cause me too much frustration on anything less than 1/2 ounce....

jwkelley51

I would say no. Most of what I throw is spinning including top water and jerk baits but if a mh rod is the tool then spinning is out for me. My bait casting is probably 70% the rod. I use 2 hands, back off the reel and roll cast loading the rod and letting it flex back. I'm hardly a pro but it doesn't give me any trouble. You could skip a nose hooked fluke or a neko rigged senko type worm easy with spinning gear...if you need to skip.

James77

Well, I was doing pretty good with my baitcaster, until yesterday after a fishing trip. Now it's making a loud whining noise when I cast and backlashes no matter what I do. Gonna go back to the ol' spinner for a while. Get to frustrated with baitcaster right now. I'll get it one day, Lord willing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdubracing

I'm a little late on this one, but I think your problem may be the rod. I have an Ugly Stick GX2 7' medium also. I've been using baitcasters my whole life. It took me a while to realize it, but I was backlashing a lot more on this rod. I had a cheaper reel on this rod than my others, so I was thinking it was that. I was out one day and hit something on my backswing with another rod and backlashed bad. It was on a rod I love, so I took the reel off of the GX2 and put it on the other rod. I expected to have a little difficulty casting with the reel, but had none. I have now switched that reel to another rod and have had zero issues. Just to double check, I put the reel back on the GX2 again and had some backlashes. I no longer use that rod. Maybe you could find another rod to try out and see if it helps, and then buy a different one if it helps.

kdubracing

Quote from: FD on September 13, 2020, 04:52:08 PM
One thing adding to your issues is the whip in the Ugly stick.  I would upgrade the rod when you can.

Most dont understand that the reel is only half of the equation in casting...

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com
Saw this after my reply. I second this.

James77

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: James77 on September 20, 2020, 08:30:51 PM
Here's the noise it's making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSoThHIkiGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnOdMeH4Epw

Is the spool seated well inside the reel?  Did you check and see if you inadvertently unlocked the spools housing?
The video was pretty dark and I really couldn't see the reel or what bait you were casting. But whatever it was your casting distance was really effected. Something is effecting that spool it sounds like.

loomisguy

I usually say it's the Indian not the arrow but in the case of Kastking it could be the arrow.
I would return it and go with a SLX or Tatula.