Hot water trick

Started by Esox obsessed, November 01, 2020, 08:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

I know the hot water trick works for mono and fluorocarbon but was wondering if it worked for braid

Fun4me

As I understand it, the hot water is to help with memory. I'm not sure what advantage would be gained for braid, unless I'm missing something.

Esox obsessed

Preventing it from digging into itself

Fun4me

You mean soak the line first, then spool it on the reel?

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Esox obsessed on November 01, 2020, 10:14:07 AM
Preventing it from digging into itself
Unfortunately no. Soaking braid does not prevent it from digging in on itself.

Make sure your backing line is the same diameter (not pound test) as your braid. Spool the braid on the reel very tightly under as much tension as possible.

Also use a braid with as large a diameter as you think you can get away with to do the job at hand. The smaller the braid the easier it is to dig in on itself. At least that's the theory.  Personally I've never had a problem with even the smallest diameter braid but I offer the general thought just as something to consider.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on November 01, 2020, 11:55:37 AM
Unfortunately no. Soaking braid does not prevent it from digging in on itself.

Make sure your backing line is the same diameter (not pound test) as your braid. Spool the braid on the reel very tightly under as much tension as possible.

Also use a braid with as large a diameter as you think you can get away with to do the job at hand. The smaller the braid the easier it is to dig in on itself. At least that's the theory.  Personally I've never had a problem with even the smallest diameter braid but I offer the general thought just as something to consider.
Nailed it.
Rodney

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Esox obsessed

If i put anymore tension I couldn't even reel it
(Using nanofil)