Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing. ADD SPACE
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

ADD SPACE

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono or Braid?  (Read 532 times)

philm63

• Charter Member
Mono or Braid?
« on: September 24, 2020, 02:56:42 PM »

I'm sure this one has been asked before - it not only affects line capacity, but it seems to me it also would/could have an effect on your guides, no?

I've only ever fished with mono so I cannot speak from experience, but can braided line notch your guides or the tip? I have hardaloys on my casting rod which is why I am asking.

And how cumbersome is it to tie the mono leader to the braid? Do you have to do it a lot, or only when the leader gets too short?

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Re: Mono or Braid?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »

Phil, some of the questions you are asking are really dependent upon what conditions you will be encountering and what basic baits are you planning on using.  Nothing at all wrong with continuing to use mono but braid can be a big help if you are fishing texas rigged soft plastics.  Knots to tie braid to mono are not really a problem there are many types that work very well.  The question becomes why use a leader if you don't have to.  Tying direct to your bait without a leader eliminates the point of possible failure in the knot when using a leader.  Also you have to ask yourself how will the know come through your guides.  So there are multiple choices to make. 

I would recommend as you begin to re start your fishing adventure that you keep things simple at first until you are comfortable with your casts and bait presentations.  Mono is excellent for that.  However if you are fishing heavy cover or a lot of soft plastics then braid just may be the answer and you really don't have to worry about damaging your rod guides.  Since you are planning on using spinning equipment you can go with a 20 or 30 lb braid and still be about the same line diameter as your mono.  Use of braid suggests that a short amount of mono used as a backing on your reel is the most effective way to load your reel if you are using braid.

Can you tell us what conditions you will be fishing.  IE  Grass, wood, rocks etc.  All of these things play into your tackle and line selections.

ike8120

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 03:27:18 PM »

On my finesse spinning setups I use braid with a fluorocarbon leader. Otherwise it depends on the technique.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »

I don't use leaders anymore, but if that is something that works for you I would recommend using either back-to-back uni knots or the FG knot. Either will serve you well on spinning gear.

Bud covered the rest.  :)
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 04:26:18 PM »

And how cumbersome is it to tie the mono leader to the braid? Do you have to do it a lot, or only when the leader gets too short?

Welcome to UB. Tying leaders to braid is not cumbersome if you practice tying them enough times. ;)

If you choose to tie on a leader, choose the one that has the smallest profile but highest knot strength.

I have been experimenting with different joining knots for years, and I think I may have found the best and strongest knot that suits my style of fishing. That knot is the FG knot.

It takes some practice, but when you get it, this knot is awesome. You only need to tie it once. Only time you need to re-tie one is if your leader gets too short, or its broken off. But the break off will not be from that knot.

Good luck on your knot journey.

SteveTX

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 10:35:53 PM »

I also do not use leaders. Strait braid for me every time except cranking and I use mono for that. And I even go a step farther. Give me the Hi-Vis colors!!! Makes line watching much easier for me. I do sometimes use a 10 or 12lb mono backing for my braid and use a blood knot as my connection knot.
AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders Zone

FD

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 04:34:29 AM »

To answer the question that hasn't been addressed, today's braid will NOT damage today's guides.

Way back when braid was "New", the surface of some braided lines was relatively rough and could under the right conditions damage the guide inserts.  That mostly happened to rods much heavier than bass gear. 

Fast forward to today and even the "softest" guide inserts (read cheapest guides) have no issues.  Todays braids are so slick that it's nearly impossible to damage a guide insert.

I get this question all the time with my custom rod clients.  The myth has been perpetuated by guide manufacturers in order to sell the latest and greatest high end ($120) guide trains verses average ($30) trains that I use on my personal rods.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

TR 20X2 - Merc 250 Pro XS - Humminbird      Ford F-450 4X4
               Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   CPF Lures Pro Staff

FishinBuck07

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 06:51:06 AM »

I'm sure this one has been asked before - it not only affects line capacity, but it seems to me it also would/could have an effect on your guides, no?

I've only ever fished with mono so I cannot speak from experience, but can braided line notch your guides or the tip? I have hardaloys on my casting rod which is why I am asking.

Welcome to the site!!!  I have never had an issue with braid digging into guides, and wouldn't think you would need to worry about that at all.  Most of our lakes in Ohio are not clear enough to worry about using a leader when fishing braid.  I don't know exactly where you fish down that way, but I wouldn't worry about using a leader.  If you use a natural color braid you should have nothing to worry about at all.  Just my opinion!

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 08:26:20 AM »

I rarely fish a leader, but I always use the Lefty Kreh knot and never had a problem.  I can tie it in seconds and even with the boat rocking in wakes and wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDxGy3Nld2g

philm63

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »

Wow - good stuff! So if I choose to go with braid, are there specialized knots for certain lures/hooks? Are there any situations where I should not use braid? (I feel multiple rods and reels coming on...)

Most of what I've been doing lately is small ponds (farms or parks) and the structure varies. I've got grass and wood on the bottom mostly, at least that's what comes up on my hooks each time.

I also really like finesse techniques - 4-5" rubber worms, Texas-rigged.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »

From what you have described you would be good to go with your spinning set up using 20lb braid for everything you are using.  Although might not be ideal for all situations it will be just fine.  Many of use are 100% braid users although from time to time you may see us with Mono for our crank baits.  Once you get the lay of the land so to speak then you can begin to explore multiple set ups as you expend your fishing to other locations.

SteveTX

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »

So if I choose to go with braid, are there specialized knots for certain lures/hooks?
I keep it simple. Polymer knot works on braid and mono exceptionally good. Make sure not to cross the doubled line and wet before cinching the knot. Also I always leave a 1/4 tag when trimming the excess. The only other knot for tying my hook is a Snell. I use only when pitching a straight shank flipping hook. Oh for some hard baits with no loose ring, I use a Loop knot to give the bait a little more freedom to work.
Are there any situations where I should not use braid? (I feel multiple rods and reels coming on...)
Ive been told wood as the braid can dig into it. For me it hasnt been a issue. If the braid digs in it was because I was already hung and that is how It got the pressure to dig. Personally crankbaits is when I go to mono otherwise I have braid on.

This is just my opinion not saying I am right but it works for me.
AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders Zone

jwkelley51

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 08:33:44 AM »

I'm trying the Lefty Kreh knot. Thanks. There is another called a GT knot I'm trying too. I've always went double uni knots with no issues in the past. I think it may depend on where you fish but they don't use much straight braid around here. I have found leaders to be a pain but you get used to it.....after a few years. Braid is really going to up your casting distance, sensitivity and bait response.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

ADD SPACE

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.