Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Tying Mono to Mono

(Read 641 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

James77

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Hey all! So, I was out practicing with my baitcaster. My line broke. Right in the middle of a cast. Found my plug and all the line that was on it. I got the idea of tying it together with a double uni knot, try to save line. That a good thing or dumb? Casts fine, just don't want to tear my reel up, or lose a lure.

Capt. BassinLou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
Hey all! So, I was out practicing with my baitcaster. My line broke. Right in the middle of a cast. Found my plug and all the line that was on it. I got the idea of tying it together with a double uni knot, try to save line. That a good thing or dumb? Casts fine, just don't want to tear my reel up, or lose a lure.
I would re-spool.

geneinnc

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
As cheap as mono is why take a chance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

James77

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Why did it break? That's what I'd like to know. It did that the other day. Oh well! I'll just respool it. Maybe the line was damaged somehow.
Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:13:26 PM by James77

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders
In my opinion it wont hurt the typical baitcaster reel. Its no different than running a huge leader. As long as the knot is not hanging on the line guide I think it will work. Id cut the tag ends very short. To get by in a pinch I would say your ok.

As mentioned the cost of mono and to have the best casting performance I would respool as well.  But before doing so James77 has a excellent point. You need to know what caused it and if necessary fix that issue first.

Capt. BassinLou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
Why did it break? That's what I'd like to know. It did that the other day. Oh well! I'll just respool it. Maybe the line was damaged somehow.
Possible issues: line was bad, nick on the line, nick on one of the rod guides. The clue is, you said it happened the other day too.

James77

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I read somewhere that it could be your casting. My son is having the same issue. Where beginners at baitcasting. My line guides look fine. I read somewhere to, that your line can backlash and you don't know it some times, just one little loop is all it takes, your line breaks. Oh well.