Muskie spinning reel

Started by Esox obsessed, October 03, 2020, 05:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

Is there cheap spinning reel that will last forever with care like a pflueger trion that will allow me to get great casts with 80lb power pro

Pferox

Look into a Penn that you can afford, probably a 5000 to 8000, depending on the size of your reel seat.

Although 80lb braid seems a little heavy, 40lb and a 4000 or 5000 sounds more like it, but then again I haven't fished for many muskies.  Just salty stuff.

I have quite a few Penn Pursuits that are over 10 years old and still stroking, Battles, are another good choice, they are workhorses.

We put a Fierce 7000 on a 12foot Ugly Stick Surf Rod and he can cast that thing for ever.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Esox obsessed

Rod is a heavy actionGx2  ugly stik
I only use ugly stiks

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Pferox on October 03, 2020, 09:37:16 AM
Look into a Penn that you can afford, probably a 5000 to 8000, depending on the size of your reel seat.

Although 80lb braid seems a little heavy, 40lb and a 4000 or 5000 sounds more like it, but then again I haven't fished for many muskies.  Just salty stuff.

I have quite a few Penn Pursuits that are over 10 years old and still stroking, Battles, are another good choice, they are workhorses.

We put a Fierce 7000 on a 12foot Ugly Stick Surf Rod and he can cast that thing for ever.
I currently have 65lb braid and a shakeshere tiger reel but line seems light and reel doesn't seem like its built to last

Pferox

I had the Tiger Combo from Wal Mart years ago and thought it was a great starter combo back then. The rod lasted a long time, but the reel only lasted a couple of years in the salt environment.  It might not be the same as yours though.

When I first used braid I bought 20lb line because that is what we used in Florida in mono mostly.  When I got it, I thought that this dental floss isn't going to hold anything.  Man was I suprised, I pulled in all the fish I hooked up, including salt water species. I went both ways back then because I lived in the middle of the state, sort of.

My heavy rods are older, whuppin sticks which are like the old Eglass ugly sticks, They have 6000 Penn Spinnfishers on them.  I have never put more than 30lb mono, or 40lb braid with 40lb mono backing on em.

For shark, and casting heavy weights, I used an 80lb mono abraision leader about 12foot long, and then a steel bite leader about a foot long.  I was usually pier fishing, so I didn't need to cast it too far.

You would be amazed how big a fish you can bring in with lighter line, if you work them in.  And how much better lighter line casts over the heavier stuff, even if its braid.

Another thing is that a heavy rod usually takes quite a bit of weight to cast any distance, mine won't toss anything worth a flip until I have 4 ounces on it.

Keep in mind I'm just throwing out things to think about, what you use is your final decision and what you feel most comfortable about.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Esox obsessed

Usually using daredevles, size 5 mepps for trout or pikee booyah snd got sick of loosing them so am deciding to classify them as muskie lures so i use equipment where i dont have to worry about loosing them and use a 2ft mason 60lb steel leader

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Pferox on October 04, 2020, 08:35:33 AM
I had the Tiger Combo from Wal Mart years ago and thought it was a great starter combo back then. The rod lasted a long time, but the reel only lasted a couple of years in the salt environment.  It might not be the same as yours though.

When I first used braid I bought 20lb line because that is what we used in Florida in mono mostly.  When I got it, I thought that this dental floss isn't going to hold anything.  Man was I suprised, I pulled in all the fish I hooked up, including salt water species. I went both ways back then because I lived in the middle of the state, sort of.

My heavy rods are older, whuppin sticks which are like the old Eglass ugly sticks, They have 6000 Penn Spinnfishers on them.  I have never put more than 30lb mono, or 40lb braid with 40lb mono backing on em.

For shark, and casting heavy weights, I used an 80lb mono abraision leader about 12foot long, and then a steel bite leader about a foot long.  I was usually pier fishing, so I didn't need to cast it too far.

You would be amazed how big a fish you can bring in with lighter line, if you work them in.  And how much better lighter line casts over the heavier stuff, even if its braid.

Another thing is that a heavy rod usually takes quite a bit of weight to cast any distance, mine won't toss anything worth a flip until I have 4 ounces on it.

Keep in mind I'm just throwing out things to think about, what you use is your final decision and what you feel most comfortable about.
Ive used lite lines the problem is snagss

Esox obsessed

Knots i use for mono and fluorocarbon is palomar
And for braid i go through with doubled line twice before tying double palomar
Then after i wet it and cinch down hand tight i glove up to really stress it

Esox obsessed

Well i just broke off a daredevle on a fountain pipe instead of the treble bending and it wasnt the knot so im upgrading 2 either 80 or 100lb power pro
Still need a reel that can hold all that line and still fit on rod
Also how do i move this topic

Pferox

80 or 100 lb line usually calls for a 7000 or bigger reel.

You might get away with a 6000 reel but you are starting to get just a short amount of line on which is putting you at a disadvantage.  Each reel is different, so you have to look at the reel individually.

Above 5000, spinning reels start to get steep in price, even for the cheap ones, so shop wisely, I would again suggest a Penn or a Daiwa reel in your price range.

Also take into account that tossing one of those big reels all day does get tiring.

bigjim5589

The Daiwa BG series reels get recommended often for Striper fishing when someone asks about a heavy duty reel that's not a fortune.

They might be a good choice, and rated with up to 33 lbs of drag for the BG90.

The BG90 is rated for up to 175 yards of 40 lb mono, and 80 lb braid will have a diameter of about the same as 17 lb mono, so that should work well.

Many folks that I know who fish for Stripers are using braid, and that reel has a metal spool, so that should work.

You're not likely to find a real cheap price on any reel that is well suited for what you want to use them. So, you'll still be paying $100 or more.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Pferox

I don't have any personal experience with the Daiwa BG, but have heard great things about that one too.

There are a lot of salt water guys using that one for larger species.

Esox obsessed

Esox obsessed

Quote from: bigjim5589 on October 28, 2020, 12:42:08 PM
The Daiwa BG series reels get recommended often for Striper fishing when someone asks about a heavy duty reel that's not a fortune.

They might be a good choice, and rated with up to 33 lbs of drag for the BG90.

The BG90 is rated for up to 175 yards of 40 lb mono, and 80 lb braid will have a diameter of about the same as 17 lb mono, so that should work well.

Many folks that I know who fish for Stripers are using braid, and that reel has a metal spool, so that should work.

You're not likely to find a real cheap price on any reel that is well suited for what you want to use them. So, you'll still be paying $100 or more.
Anything smaller or cheaper thinking 100 -145 yrds of 100lb power pro braid (20lb mono diameter)

Pferox

Check out Penn Reels, they have some pretty good reels as cheap as 60 bucks.

I've put useable amounts of 20lb mono on 5000 Penn reels.  They usually will fit on bass like reel seats.

Check out their site you can get an idea of prices and types of reels available: https://www.pennfishing.com/

bigjim5589

Quote from: Esox obsessed on November 04, 2020, 11:38:47 AM
Anything smaller or cheaper thinking 100 -145 yrds of 100lb power pro braid (20lb mono diameter)

Daiwa makes that series in smaller sizes.  I have a couple of Daiwa Emcast reels, I think I had mentioned,  which is another good series they still make. Either would probably do what you need, and then it's the matter of finding one in your price range. I was fortunate to find a fellow in MD, when I was still living there, that had two  for sale, that had been barely used, and had posted them on a fishing forum that we both frequented. I drove to his house & paid $90 for both, and at that time they were around $120 each new. So, I got a real good deal on them.  :)

I would look at some of the site sponsors here, as they give discounts to UB members!  :-*.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: bigjim5589 on November 05, 2020, 10:14:54 AM
Daiwa makes that series in smaller sizes.  I have a couple of Daiwa Emcast reels, I think I had mentioned,  which is another good series they still make. Either would probably do what you need, and then it's the matter of finding one in your price range. I was fortunate to find a fellow in MD, when I was still living there, that had two  for sale, that had been barely used, and had posted them on a fishing forum that we both frequented. I drove to his house & paid $90 for both, and at that time they were around $120 each new. So, I got a real good deal on them.  :)

I would look at some of the site sponsors here, as they give discounts to UB members!  :-*.

Thats how much my net costed