Different Knots for Different Baits?

Started by philm63, October 03, 2020, 06:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philm63

So I'm learning to tie a Palomar knot and I can see why this will work well for many of my baits, but if I decide to throw a larger bait - crank or popper or... well, something large - I'm thinking it may be challenging tying a Palomar.

Is there a different knot for each major bait category (soft, small, large, etc.)?

Capt. BassinLou

I tie 3 knots:

Snell: pitching and punching
Modified Uni aka: Fish n' fool knot: power fishing
Uni knot: for everything else.

philm63

Cool, thanks! 3 more knots to add to my repertoire. I feel like I'm back in Boy Scouts...

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: philm63 on October 03, 2020, 06:43:50 PM
Cool, thanks! 3 more knots to add to my repertoire. I feel like I'm back in Boy Scouts...
I have tied different knots over the years. But the three knots I just mentioned, I have pretty much stuck with for a long while.

FlatsNBay

Phil, I tend to base my knot selection on the type of line that I'm using more so than the bait. For mono: palomar, for braid: palamor, for fluorocarbon the double Sandiego Jam, for pitching or punching with braid the snell knot.

When using bigger baits with the palamor, I use a bunch of line so that the loop is big enough to fit the larger bait through.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Bassinkorea

I tie different knots based on both the technique and line type.

Palomar knot - for dropshot. This knot keeps the hook point in the upward position.
Improved clinch knot - with mono line. I find that mono (I use Big Game) is quite slippery, so the "improved" part helps
Modified clinch knot (not sure it if has a name) - with braided line. I run the braid through the hook eye twice before tying the regular clinch knot. Then the amount of turns used around the line increases as the braid diameter decreases
All my other applications are based on fluorocarbon line and for many many years I tied the regular clinch knot, but just recently I have been experimenting with the Uni knot with good results.

For joining line to line, I use the double Uni knot
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

FD

I use a Palomar Knot for everything.

I dont remember the last time I had a knot fail.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

WTodd

Quote from: FD on October 04, 2020, 04:32:37 AM

I dont remember the last time I had a knot
Same here but use the Modified Albright knot for tying on leaders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philm63

Quote from: FlatsNBay on October 03, 2020, 07:49:44 PM
...When using bigger baits with the palamor, I use a bunch of line so that the loop is big enough to fit the larger bait through.

This is what I was wondering about regarding using the Palomar on larger baits - good to know.

fishballer06

I use different knots depending on the line type, rather than the bait. Certain lines do not hold certain knots well, or their strength is greatly compromised (fluoro in particular).
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

SteveTX

Palomar Knot: For everything not specifically stated below. Never had a issue.
Snell knot: Pitching and punching.
Loop knot: Certain hard baits with no split rings. 
Blood knot: Connection knot for line to line.
Arbor knot: Attaching line to spool.

philm63

@ fishballer06: Can you elaborate on what knots for what lines types? Sounds like one could construct a pretty detailed knot matrix with this kind of information - line type vs. size vs. bait type vs. technique...

Oldfart9999

Palomar for everything but line to line where I use a blood knot, I like things simple.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pferox

Quote from: SteveTX on October 07, 2020, 10:29:37 AM
Snell knot: Pitching and punching.
Blood knot: Connection knot for line to line.

Snell knot: For tying on circle hooks, keeps the point inline.
Slim Beauty: Connection knot for line to line on leaders, use Double Uni on deep spool connections.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

1ReelFanatik

I use the Uni Knot for all line types. If lighter line, I may use the Fish N Fool Knot...which is simply the Uni Knot, but going through the eye twice.  The Snell Knot is one I'd like to try for certain techniques.  Wouldn't mind learning the San Diego Jam Knot.

I've never had a problem with the Uni Knot in Fluorocarbon, Monofilament, Co-Polymer or Braid.

philm63

Just got my new Stradic CI4+ and my new custom rod, so I learned the arbor knot to get my mono backer on the spool, then I learned the blood knot to get the mono joined to the braid, than I took it out and learned to do a palomar to tie my baits on - large or small; just gotta remember to leave enough for the loop to fit over whatever I'm tying.

I believe I've found my go-to knot for most of my baits - the Palomar - easy-peasy!

SteveTX

Quote from: philm63 on October 11, 2020, 02:24:16 PM
Just got my new Stradic CI4+ and my new custom rod, so I learned the arbor knot to get my mono backer on the spool, then I learned the blood knot to get the mono joined to the braid, than I took it out and learned to do a palomar to tie my baits on - large or small; just gotta remember to leave enough for the loop to fit over whatever I'm tying.

I believe I've found my go-to knot for most of my baits - the Palomar - easy-peasy!
Congrats on getting out. Those knots are really simple and effective. Once you tie them several days in a row it becomes second nature.

toddallen

Doubled clinch or double improved clinch depending on weeds and Palomar

Deadeye

Palomar Knot

For EVERYTHING.

UNLESS I'm Flipping-Pitching-Punching, Then I use a Snell Knot, but I've used the Palomar Knot for that too.

I NEVER have Knot issues. Keep it simple. Wet the Line Good while cinching down. After do a Double Regular Over Hand Knot on the main line. There is NO WAY for that Knot to slip.

Oh and I don't do Leaders, so there's that.

Last time I broke a knot? Hmmm. I think I did on a Carolina Rig after dragging it all over the bottom for several hours with Floruo. All knots were Palomar. Before that can't say I can remember it's been so long.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: FD on October 04, 2020, 04:32:37 AM

I dont remember the last time I had a knot fail.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com
Me to even use it to attach line to spool
For braid go through eye twice with doubled line and do 2 overhand knots with braid

Oldfart9999

You might want to learn how to tie a double loop knot for poppers, jerk baits and crank baits, it will allow more freedom of movement for those baits.
Rodney

philm63

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on November 17, 2020, 06:07:13 AM
You might want to learn how to tie a double loop knot for poppers, jerk baits and crank baits, it will allow more freedom of movement for those baits.
Rodney

Oooh, that's a good catch! Didn't think about baits that need to move more freely. Added Double Loop Knot to the lesson plan - thanks!

njpaulc

Yo can do everything, but dropshot, with the Uniknot, including snelling hooks.

You should also look at loop knots like the Rapala knot and the King Sling.

apenland01

Mono:  Improved clinch knot.

Braid:  Improved Trilene knot with extra wraps for smaller diameter line.

Fluoro:  Double improved clinch knot (excellent knot strength and easy to tie).

Braid to Leader:  Lefty Kreh.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: njpaulc on November 17, 2020, 07:55:50 AM
Yo can do everything, but dropshot, with the Uniknot, including snelling hooks.

You should also look at loop knots like the Rapala knot and the King Sling.
Why can't you use the uni with dropshot? I don't but don't see a reason why you can't. Aaron Marten uses a double uni.
Rodney