Pitching/Frogging reel

Started by kdubracing, October 05, 2020, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdubracing

Another combo I'm getting this winter is a pitching/frogging set up. I was planning on getting a Daiwa SV TW for the reel. After my cranking thread, I'm sold on this reel for cranking as well. For those that have this reel, would it also make for a good pitching/frogging reel? Obviously in a faster gear ratio than cranking. Any other suggestions in this price area, and reasons why you think it would be better?

Bud Kennedy

I do use the SVTW103 for frogging and pitching in the 8 gear. Since I am not what you would call a high skilled angler it works for me.  Maybe the other guys with more skills in that department has a better level of input.  I just happen to like my reels to all be the same base construction is one of the factors why I use the SVTW for everything.

Capt. BassinLou

I broke my SV reel frogging, but that was after I stuck a hundred or so bass froggin, after fixing it, its become my flipping, punching reel.  lo lo

kdubracing

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 05, 2020, 07:13:38 PM
I broke my SV reel frogging, but that was after I stuck a hundred or so bass froggin, after fixing it, its become my flipping, punching reel.  lo lo
Was it just not built for that type of stress, or just a freak deal? I'm assuming my frogging in IL isn't quite as demanding on equipment as frogging down south.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: kdubracing on October 06, 2020, 09:50:35 AM
Was it just not built for that type of stress, or just a freak deal? I'm assuming my frogging in IL isn't quite as demanding on equipment as frogging down south.

I honestly don't know, but the piece that broke was due to a lot stress over a period of time. Which during that time that reel was my sole froggin reel.  Please don't ask me to tell you what the piece was, because I don't remember.  lo The good news was, that, that part wasn't too expensive and the reel has been good as new since. But, I did retire it as my froggin reel.

kdubracing

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 06, 2020, 10:47:34 AM
I honestly don't know, but the piece that broke was due to a lot stress over a period of time. Which during that time that reel was my sole froggin reel.  Please don't ask me to tell you what the piece was, because I don't remember.  lo The good news was, that, that part wasn't too expensive and the reel has been good as new since. But, I did retire it as my froggin reel.
Thanks. Out of curiosity, what do you use for your frogging reel now? I'm open to suggestions if something will be notably better than the SV TW. Still in the under $200 range.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: kdubracing on October 06, 2020, 11:12:19 AM
Thanks. Out of curiosity, what do you use for your frogging reel now? I'm open to suggestions if something will be notably better than the SV TW. Still in the under $200 range.
Currently I use 2 reels. I have been using one of my  Curado I's for the whole summer. And my other froggin reel is a newer Shimano Scorpion.
The sub $200 price point is ideal, especially for a froggin reel. Those reels get abused a lot, no need to spend a lot of $$ on reel for that application. IMHO. 

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

IMO the Shimano Curado 200 D model is the apex of frog reels. It holds a ton of line and will cast incredibly far. However it's a heavier and larger reel and doesn't make for the best "all day" pitching reel. It works but most people have a very light weigh set up for pitching and the D model is one of the larger Curado frames. To get a D model you'd have to find it used on eBay (I just looked and the only one I seen was NIB and they wanted way too much). With time to wait for one to come up you should only pay about 100-120 for a excellent condition Curado 200 D

The new Shimano Curado 200 K series is a good reel that will do very well for both. The K is extremely smooth in both casting and retrieve. You can read up on it but it's a fine piece of machinery that can be found for $150 give or take depending on your condition desires. The K series also holds a lot of line, it's lighter and makes for a great pitching reel.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

I'm gonna throw a couple other ideas in the mix for you to look into.

Both the Daiwa Tatula 150 and 200 are solid reels for both frogging and pitching. Both have aluminum frame and sideplate and reinforced brass gearing. The 200 holds a ton of line for those long casts that frogging can require. But the 150 is a bit smaller and may suit the pitching aspect a little better.

Note: neither of these reels has the SV spool.

The other thing that I will mention is that Lew's has some nice reels with heavy duty specs like this that also fall into that $200 price range.  :-*

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

kdubracing

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on October 06, 2020, 02:07:19 PM
I'm gonna throw a couple other ideas in the mix for you to look into.

Both the Daiwa Tatula 150 and 200 are solid reels for both frogging and pitching. Both have aluminum frame and sideplate and reinforced brass gearing. The 200 holds a ton of line for those long casts that frogging can require. But the 150 is a bit smaller and may suit the pitching aspect a little better.

Note: neither of these reels has the SV spool.

The other thing that I will mention is that Lew's has some nice reels with heavy duty specs like this that also fall into that $200 price range.  :-*

Thank you for the suggestions. I am considering the Tatula 200 and 150 also. I have looked at the Lew's reels a few times, but the Daiwa and Shimano's just feel a little better to me in hand. Now, I have not used the Lew's, and they are not out of the question. I'm just leaning towards the Daiwa or Shimano's for these two reels. I'll look a little harder at the Lew's for sure.

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 06, 2020, 11:32:31 AM
IMO the Shimano Curado 200 D model is the apex of frog reels. It holds a ton of line and will cast incredibly far. However it's a heavier and larger reel and doesn't make for the best "all day" pitching reel. It works but most people have a very light weigh set up for pitching and the D model is one of the larger Curado frames. To get a D model you'd have to find it used on eBay (I just looked and the only one I seen was NIB and they wanted way too much). With time to wait for one to come up you should only pay about 100-120 for a excellent condition Curado 200 D

The new Shimano Curado 200 K series is a good reel that will do very well for both. The K is extremely smooth in both casting and retrieve. You can read up on it but it's a fine piece of machinery that can be found for $150 give or take depending on your condition desires. The K series also holds a lot of line, it's lighter and makes for a great pitching reel.
What's funny is my preliminary choices were the SV TW and the Curado K, just for the opposite applications that you suggested. I was thinking the Curado K for my cranking reel and the SV TW for the frogging/pitching reel. I can definitely see your points. Thank you.

Mike Cork

Everyone is different, that's why we have options. I've always been partial to Shimano reels but Daiwa has some great reels too. I just know the K is a very free spool system and anything with weight that your trying to cast long distances make it hard to control the spool. But a well trained thumb will love it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 06, 2020, 06:17:45 PM
Everyone is different, that's why we have options. I've always been partial to Shimano reels but Daiwa has some great reels too. I just know the K is a very free spool system and anything with weight that your trying to cast long distances make it hard to control the spool. But a well trained thumb will love it.
The Scorpion I have is the similar to the Curado K. I have 3 out of 4 brakes set. This reel is unforgiving. It will launch a frog a very long way.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk