What line is on your crankbait rig?

Started by kdubracing, October 07, 2020, 08:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdubracing

Just curious what specific lines (non braid) and test do you guys use for your crankbait setup?

Bassinkorea

I use a fluorocarbon line from my sponsor.

I have two set-ups currently, one has 10lb for squarebills and crankbaits down to DT16's. Anything deeper than that (DD22's) I have have been using 12lb.

Now, I do have a new rod that will hopefully be delivered today that I will be using for 10XD and I am planning to put 14lb fluoro on that new rig.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Bud Kennedy

I am using sufix seige.  I have both 10lb test and 12 lb test.  Works just fine.  Use the same on the Wife's spinning rod as well.  Not saying it is better or worse than all the others just  saying it is what I use and it works for me and has for many years.  If I have something that does the job then I usually stick with it.  Not a real fan of trying every line that comes down the pike.  I stand back and let everyone else buy all the latest and greatest stuff until it is proven to be a worth while product.

apenland01

K9 blended fluoro in 10-12 pound test.  Best moving bait line out there in my opinion....

Donald Garner

I use Berkley Big Game 12 - 15lb Clear Mono for my crankbait fishing.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

loomisguy

Deadeye

IMO, there is no One Easy Answer.

First Question to ask yourself is: What is my intended Purpose for this set-up?

If your throwing say Squarebills in Brush or Rock Piles where it might get hung up, a Heavier Line may be the best bet to help you get it back. Here I would use say 15-17 Lb Floro if Fishing Deep or Mono is trying to stay Up in the water column.

If you are trying to Get Deep, then a Lighter Line is the Ticket and also a Sinking Line like Floro. Something in the 10 lb range would work the best.

If your trying to Stay Up then a Floating Line like Mono works great. Also remember that a Lighter Line will go Deeper and a Heavier Line will stay more Shallower WHILE WORKING THE SAME LURE. So even switching to a heavier Floro like a 15-17 lb line the Lure will run shallower.

Now, What Type Rod Power and Flex are you using?

A Heavier Rod like a MH you might want to go with a Mono Line to give it a little "give" when using Treble Hooks. Whereas a Lighter Rod like a Medium or ML will have more "give" in the Rod, so using Floro (which has less stretch than Mono on Average) might be a better choice.

You Need To Find The Balance.

To Much Give and you can not control the Fish once hooked. To Little Give and you run the risk of pulling/tearing the Hooks out while the Fish is fighting to get free.

Now to directly answer Your Question: I use a ML Baitcaster Rod with 12 lb Sunline Assassin Floro for most of my Cranking needs. Rattletrap Type Lures, Deeper Diving Plugs, Squarebills.

However I have used 15-17 lb Floro on a MH Rod if I'm taking the chance to run Cranks where there is lots of Vegetation (and here in Florida there tends to be a lot).

I like the Feel and Vibration the ML Rod gives off both into my hand and into the Lure. I feel that it adds to the Action that any Crank I tie on has.

Now you didn't ask but it should be discussed as well is: Reel Gear Ratio.

You need to Match the Ratio to What Your Desired Expectation is.

The Good Average Ratio for "most" Cranks is a 5:1 or 6:1 range Reel. 

Now that can vary depending on the Crank. For example I like a Faster Ratio when running a Rattletrap Type Lure, they are designed to be run fast. Whereas a Squarebill might give off a better action with a Slower Ratio Reel.

One more thing, I use a LOT of 7:1 Reels. So to get the "action" I want I have learned how to adjust my "handle turning" to speed up or slow down as is desired. It can be done and has been by many for years, however matching the Ratio of the Reel to the Bait allows you to maintain that same Handle Speed no matter what Outfit you pick up.

Also if you are doing something like Deep Cranking using the right Reel will not wear you out as fast as trying to adjust your handle speed will.

So to summarize: Floro Line for less stretch and Mono for more Give. Line Weight makes a huge Difference. Floro Sinks and Mono Floats. 

FWIW: Sunline Assassin is the Best Floro I have found. Not to pricey. Casts very smooth. Low Line Memory. Strong. Great Knot Strength. 

FD

I've got multiple rods setup in 2 configurations.

1. Med rod 40lb power pro for square bills around vegetation.

2. Med Heavy with 12 lb big game mono for deeper open water.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Oldfart9999

10, 12, or 14 lb test Berkley for most, 14 to 20 lb Berkley for casting around or over grass.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FlatsNBay

I'm currently using 12 lb. Fluorocarbon for all of my crankbait applications (squarebill, deep diver, and lipless). I'm trying out Yo-Zuri Top Knot 100% and so far I like it with no issues yet. Next up, I'll be trying Berkley 100%. 12 gives me just the right diameter, strength and I feel the perfect depth. If I cranked cypress trees a lot, I'd beef up to 14.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

FishinBuck07

10# Sunline Assassin on the crankbait rod, 12# on my Squarebill rod

kdubracing

Good deal. I was interested in the number of people that used fluoro, mono, or copoly. I would have guessed a few more used copoly, but the fluoro vs mono split was about what I would have guessed. I also figured most people used around 12 lb. barring special circumstances. FWIW, I've been using 12 lb YoZuri hybrid, but mainly because that's what I had readily available the last time I put line on. My new setup will likely get fluoro, but I'm looking at a few lines like Sufix Advance.

loomisguy

I've used the Advance and liked it. In fact it's still on one of my popper rods

kdubracing

Quote from: loomisguy on October 08, 2020, 06:15:51 PM
I've used the Advance and liked it. In fact it's still on one of my popper rods
It might be kind of hard as they are different types of line, but how would you compare Advance and Invisx? I recently started using Invisx as a leader on my spinning rods and have been really impressed. But, that's also as a leader and not spooled on.

loomisguy

I'm sure the Invisx is thinner and it has about the right amount of stretch . For a topwater rod I don't care about diameter for strictly  crankbaits I don't think you can beat Invisx.
It handles great, second only to Tatsu for me anyway.

kdubracing

Invisx is what I've been leaning towards. Good info, thanks. So far I don't have a problem with fragile knots with it, and it seems very manageable. But, again, I have only used it as a leader so far.

chrisD46

*I've been looking at Sufix Siege and Elite mono lines in 10 lb. to 12 lb. test : What is the real difference in actual use between these two mono lines ?

loomisguy

The difference is similar to Trilene XT vs XL. The Elite is the softer line the Siege the tougher.

Dink Dawg

I like Sunline Super Natural in #14 for square bills and #10 for small medium running baits.  For deep cranking I use Seagar Red Label in #12 because of the long bomb casts and need reduced stretch.  For shorter casts I actually like some some stretch.  This line up has been very effective for me.

big g

(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

hydrillagorillahunter

SteveTX

kdubracing

For you guys that use mono, do you use it on a moderate action rod, or on a fast action?

SteveTX

Quote from: kdubracing on October 22, 2020, 08:50:57 PM
For you guys that use mono, do you use it on a moderate action rod, or on a fast action?
I use it on both. My bigger treble hook baits I will use the faster action rods. Like bigger squarebills and the smaller needle sharp treble hook baits lean to the more moderate.

BassNat

Quote from: FD on October 08, 2020, 05:46:38 AM
I've got multiple rods setup in 2 configurations.

1. Med rod 40lb power pro for square bills around vegetation.

2. Med Heavy with 12 lb big game mono for deeper open water.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com
Exactly the same for me.
Set the hook & God Bless -

Personal Best: 9/1/2016 22" 6.65 lbs. in my Weston backyard