Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing. ADD SPACE
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

ADD SPACE

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting to respect the Sierra  (Read 514 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Starting to respect the Sierra
« on: October 12, 2020, 01:30:44 PM »

A while back, I won a Sierra 703C here on Ultimate Bass.  I put it in my on deck rotation but really did not give it a fair chance until last week.  I spent a number of hours throwing a trick worm and started to catch a number of small bass in about the 2lb range.  So now I have had some bass on the line and I must say that the total feel of the rod is as you guys have described in other posts.  As you know I am not one to spend money on the "better" rods in the Dobyns line so this is my only Dobyns that is not a fury.  Well I guess now I may be hooked.  Although I love my Fury 705CB, the Sierra sure fits the bill for some texas rigged worming in our mostly weed free waters.  The feel balance and performance no doubt has promoted its ranking in my rotation.  I guess I need to do more plastic worm fishing in the future and maybe give it a whirl with some wacky rig stuff.  I suppose now I gotta start considering a Champion as the next baby step.  Due to deck size limitations I have to stay at 7ft max length unfortunately.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
Re: Starting to respect the Sierra
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 02:55:13 PM »

Glad you are finding you like the Sierra Bud. My SA 734C just may be my all around favorite rod.

When you are ready to take that baby step up to the Champion line there are plenty of options available in the 7 foot and under category.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 03:04:17 PM »

The Sierra is a great rod. You'll feel an increase in the champion series in balance and sensitivity. That said, unless you feel like your missing strikes or noticing things too late, I'd say the Sierra will fit your needs nicely. If you add a four power Sierra to your mix, to cover jigs or heavier Texas rigs, I think you'll have a great mix of equipment.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a Champion Series, but I know you are budget minded and the Sierra is a good rod.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

gtrpickr

• Charter Member
  • Take a kid fishing! <)))><
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »

I love my Sierra rods, for the money I don't think they can be beat. Personally I'm afraid to try a Champion or higher because I don't think my bank account would like me lol.

Dink Dawg

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 01:45:19 PM »

A baby step will be the Kaden series when they finally become available. That series is going to special.

Gwamba

• Bass Fishing Guide
  • Baby Bass
    • Northwoods Adventures
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 06:16:25 PM »

The Sierra spin rods are phenomenal...I prefer them over the XP or Kaden for finesse Bass n Walleye. Less parabolic and a softer tip section. I use a 693 for snap jigs and 702 for hair jigs,703 for jig/plastics... Awesome line...SA 734C is a great all-round rod. ~b~
Dobyns Rods   Lews Reels   Xcite Baits 
Cabelas           Gamakatsu   Live Target

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:10:12 AM »

Sierra rods are sensitive and well balanced. For the money they are the best.
I own several Champions only because the Champion line has so many more options. the specialty rods in the Champ series are special and rare.

Bur for the average bass angler the Sierra and Fury series will take care of most of your needs.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Sc Bassin

• Largemouth
  • There he is!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 11:09:37 AM »

Bud I have 6 of the Sierra series, the 683C FH 7 684C FH & have fished them for a couple of years.Then tried the XP series but are using longer rods than 7 foot. A while back I purchased the DC 610 4C To skip with. While using I started to try other baits & found out how versatile this rod is. I have fished Texas & Carolina rigs, jigs, Spinnerbaits, Chatterbaits, Topwater including Frogs & Toads. I have not fished anything with treble hooks because the rod has more power than I like for crankbait fishing. This rod is more than a 4 power. It is a excellent rod. Gary & I have E-mailed back & forth about this rod & said he has a lot of feed back about how versatile this rod is. He also mentioned he thought it was a bit more powerful than a 4. The sensitivity is better than the Sierra series & it fits in your boat so if your looking to take a step up try this rod it's a excellent rod to fish the cover on Santee.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

ADD SPACE

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.