Favorite non-mainstream techniques

Started by kdubracing, October 17, 2020, 04:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdubracing

Just curious what a few of the non-mainstream or non-traditional techniques you guys use quite a bit. I'm talking like using scrounger heads, wobble heads, underspins, etc. Something other than like Ned rig, traditional jigs, t-rig, wacky rig, etc.

rb-nc

Probably a floating worm. Its big here in NC but not so much anywhere else. We use neon bright straight worms on a 4/0 offset worm hook. Just deadly

Mike Cork

For me is a super weight Buzz Bug. I'll use up to a once ounce and use a lift and drop like a spoon. Jerk it off the bottom and watch your line on the fall. It's all about reaction. It works best when the bass are clammed up after a cold front and won't feed, this think bouncing around looks so crazy they smash it because it's hurting they're head to watch it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FD

Fishing a rattle trap like a jig.  More than once a big girl has picked it up off the bottom.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Wizard

I'll throw in a couple.

Vertical jigging a Musky size Lipless crank.

Fishing slowly in deep water with large 8-10 inch grubs.

Fishing 3 inch Maribou jigs around shad in the middle of a creek mouth during and just after a cold front.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

Swimming grubs in spring and summer
Dropshotting break walls
Running Deep Lil Ns through lay downs
Texas rigging worms in grass without pegging the weight
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

Stitching. Look it up

And fishing a Rapala Jigging Rap (an ice fishing lure) in late spring through fall by casting it out and then stroking it like a jig. This is mostly a deep water technique but can occasionally buy you a shallow bite or two when all else fails.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

When you come across a big section of salad and you want to see how active the bass are, take a hollow body frog, cast it, and just retrieve it. Not to fast, not to slow, just reel in the frog. Trust me, if the bass are active they will quickly reveal themselves.  ;) ~shhh

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 19, 2020, 01:30:58 PM
When you come across a big section of salad and you want to see how active the bass are, take a hollow body frog, cast it, and just retrieve it. Not to fast, not to slow, just reel in the frog. Trust me, if the bass are active they will quickly reveal themselves.  ;) ~shhh
Yup! That works. ;D
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

zippyduck

Split shot rig. It has other names but a split shot on a T-rig slowly pulled over thick weeds. This is a great way to find the areas the bass are using on big weed flats. split shot is normally 12 to 18 inches above the worm.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

Quote from: zippyduck on October 24, 2020, 03:50:27 AM
Split shot rig. It has other names but a split shot on a T-rig slowly pulled over thick weeds. This is a great way to find the areas the bass are using on big weed flats. split shot is normally 12 to 18 inches above the worm.
I do this sometimes using a tungsten bullet pegged up from the worm.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

big g

Simple rules I have.  Use the least weight needed to get the job done.  Less weight gives more action to the bait.  Less weight less snags.  Less weight slower fall of plastics allowing for better view through the water column.

When things are tough, slow down,  vary the retrieve until you find out what they want that day.  When you catch a fish go back to the same area, they are often not there alone.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

rich12

Model T spark coil  ~shhh

1oz Bullet weight pegged on a big crank bait.  Something like a DD22.   Toss it out, let it sink to the bottom. Wiggle it, lift it some, drag it some.   Hang on, when it gets bit, you will swear a truck hit it.

Sc Bassin

D.W. Verts

Chartreuse hand grenades. Throw them on a LONG cast...

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Dan21XRS

Tight Lining for smallmouth in the winter...  Dan