Curado 70 MGL vs. SLX MGL

Started by Bretts_daddy, April 29, 2021, 10:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

Is the Curado MGL 70 that much better than the SLX MGL that it's worth the extra $$$? I'm contemplating one but at $229 for the Curado I can get an SLX MGL rod & reel combo at ALF for $199. Is it the micromodule gearing that's the main difference?

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

LgMouthGambler

Me, personally, Id go for the SLX. I hate the MM gearing.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

I'm not sure without looking up but there will be a difference in the spool line capacity. I do know the MM gearing and an extra bearing on the top side of the pinion gear give it a smoother feel when winding.

Worth the extra dollars, not for this guy. The SLX, in all its versions, has been proving to be a strong reel. Many anglers comparing it to the old indestructible greenie. I've been running two basic SLX reels, trying to break them, and they keep on going and cast a country mile.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 29, 2021, 01:25:24 PM
I'm not sure without looking up but there will be a difference in the spool line capacity. I do know the MM gearing and an extra bearing on the top side of the pinion gear give it a smoother feel when winding.

Worth the extra dollars, not for this guy. The SLX, in all its versions, has been proving to be a strong reel. Many anglers comparing it to the old indestructible greenie. I've been running two basic SLX reels, trying to break them, and they keep on going and cast a country mile.

i have an slx xt and it seems to be getting better with time...casting further and further.  i hadn't fished it in a while and when i finally took it out...thought to myself 'wow i don't remember it casting this well.'  the slx reels, XT especially, the best $100 range reel on the market.

Bretts_daddy

Regardless of which reel I choose what ratio would you go with, 7.4:1 or 8.1:1?

Mike Cork

I always buy the fastest I can get, it's a "me" thing. I know a lot of anglers like the 7:1 stuff...

Cork's Reel Service

fishballer06

Didn't you just buy a reel last month and said you couldn't afford two reels?  lo lo
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: fishballer06 on May 04, 2021, 07:14:27 AM
Didn't you just buy a reel last month and said you couldn't afford two reels?  lo lo
I sold some older stuff to make room for some newer stuff   ;D

Bretts_daddy

I ended up with a Curado MGL 70 K in the 8.1:1 gear ratio left handed. I found a guy selling his in like new condition...he literally only had it for 2 weeks and used it once, maybe twice. Decided he wanted a new G. Loomis NRX rod instead so he was selling the reel. He wanted $200 shipped and I offered him $180 shipped and he accepted. Just got it today in the mail and it looks gorgeous :D.

Mike Cork

Sweet... Let us know what you think after you get some milage on it.

Cork's Reel Service