Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Medium vs Medium Heavy Rods for Swimjigs

(Read 936 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

hydrillagorillahunter

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
This entire year I fished two different setups for swimjigs with the same reel and line, the only difference being the rod.  Both rods are 7' and the action fast for both.  The MH rod is rated for 3/8-1oz while the Medium is rated for 1/4-5/8oz.

Now most videos I watch from tour pros to avid anglers usually are heavy or medium-heavy recommendations for swimjigs; articles as well.  Previously I've always went with the industry standard...MH-fast.  But, I seem to prefer a more pronounced parabolic bend with medium rods as I'll throw a lot of squarebills and bladed jigs.  I must admit that the caveat here is that I do prefer lighter wire swimjigs to allow me to fish lighter line and typically don't fish heavy gauge 5/0 swimjigs.

What I observed for the entire year fishing both setups equally is that I lost less fish on the medium setup.  I've attribute this to the parabolic action of the medium rod as it seemed ideal if they did break surface that there was less power whipping the rod back with slack; rod loaded better on hookups.  I had no problems with hookups on either setup due to the lighter wire hooks; always made sure they were sharp.

I did have more line breakages running lighter line on the MH setup, but expected it in running at times when I should've cut back some line and retied.  Although, this laziness was catered to with the medium rod which gave me no issues with breaking off on hook sets.  Likewise, I was able to sweep a little more on hooksets with the medium rod.  With the MH I really had to reel set which can be ideal when swimjigging and an ideal technique for some; MH apparently the more efficient solution for reel setting.

Lastly, casting distance of course goes to the medium rod as it loads better, especially when throwing qtr oz swimjigs.  Accuracy was also better for me personally with the medium rod.

Of course, they make medium heavy and heavy action rods with moderate fast actions to cater to my preferences and will look to try a few out.  Anyway, feel free to share your preferences as I'm curious to know if others prefer lighter power rods for swimjigging.   
Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 06:35:34 PM by hydrillagorillahunter

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
My preference is a Dobyns Sierra 734c. Why the Sierra? Well it has a fast action but a little slower than most rods of this power.
It has a Heavy action rating but IMO it is more like most MH rods with a 1/4 to 1 ounce weight suggestion.
This rod has enough tip action to use it for treble baits "as it was designed for spooks", but lots of backbone for easy hooksets on swimjigs and spinnerbaits.
I also use heavier flouro for these techniques.
This is just my opinion as I have not held and used all rod brands but it would be what I would look for in other brands.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Definitely look into a MH MF rod. Just be careful when you are casting as a swim jig with a trailer can get 3/4-1oz in weight.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

hydrillagorillahunter

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
My preference is a Dobyns Sierra 734c. Why the Sierra? Well it has a fast action but a little slower than most rods of this power.
It has a Heavy action rating but IMO it is more like most MH rods with a 1/4 to 1 ounce weight suggestion.
This rod has enough tip action to use it for treble baits "as it was designed for spooks", but lots of backbone for easy hooksets on swimjigs and spinnerbaits.
I also use heavier flouro for these techniques.
This is just my opinion as I have not held and used all rod brands but it would be what I would look for in other brands.

I have this rod and it's a great rod.  Actually bought it for frogging and I've got to say...the sensitivity is way up there.  I have much more expensive rods that aren't as sensitive.  The reason I've went to shorter rods is because I kayak quite a bit.  I'm looking to try a heavy rod with a moderate fast action next so I have the power but have confidence in keeping them pinned with the softer action.

hydrillagorillahunter

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Definitely look into a MH MF rod. Just be careful when you are casting as a swim jig with a trailer can get 3/4-1oz in weight.

Yeah I'd like to try this out...the medium fast action to keep the MH power but have the softer action tip.  It's funny...you eventually want a rod that's tailored to how you fish...your preferences.

CraigP83

• Forum Staff
I feel I have swim jigs dialed in. 734 champion with 30# braid. I run 1/4oz 90% of the time and 3/8oz the rest. I fish around a lot of vegetation and an constantly snapping the bait free. Need that fast action and braid to achieve

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I've always preferred a MH rod for swim jigs because I use them around weeds/cover. I even jump up to a H power when burning them through really thick grass. However, this spring I was in Florida fishing with some of the boys from here and I had to borrow rods since I flew down there. I ended up using 6'8" M power rod from 13 Fishing and I ended up catching every bite I got that day.

I'm sure BarryFL, Lou, and FD remember that day  ~shade

The most important part is making sure you have the line/rod power you need to match the gauge wire on the hook of the jig you're using.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Dink Dawg

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
The cover I apply swim jigs is too heavy to consider a medium.  I was using a Dobyns Champion 734C until I picked up a Kaden 744C and that rod, for me is like it was designed just for a swim jig and it is now dedicated.  I run #40 braid, no leader and have not lost a a fish on that set up yet.   ;PEP)

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
OP, you must like Falcon and Hammer rods.   lo

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB