Xmas List 2020 (aka "I Want Another New Reel!")

Started by philm63, November 06, 2020, 12:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philm63

With Xmas right around the corner (I know, jeeze - we just put the Halloween decorations away!) I know what I'm putting on MY list... question is; which one?

Chances are I'm going to build another casting rod real soon and will likely go with a 7' Medium power, and may delve into the world of cranking. Still bank-bound so I don't reckon I'll be using any real deep divers, but I'd also like to be able to do other techniques with this next rod.

This new rod's gonna need a new reel - I want to try one of the new Shimanos this time and am looking at the Chronarch MGL and Metanium MGL. Price-wise, the one buying my gifts this year (read: my wife) would most likely lean toward the Chronarch but I'm still gonna ask the question: Which one, and why?

Also, what gear ratio should I be looking at? My new Tat on my 7' H/F is a 7.3. If I would be using the new setup for cranking, among other things, should I be looking at the 8.1 speed in the Shimano?

Mike Cork

I'd definitely go with the Chronarch on this one. The Metanium is very nice, I have two, but they are a lot of money and don't feel like there is enough difference to justify the extra money.

The Chronarch will be more than enough...

Getting a 8:1 is going to be pretty fast for crankbaits. However it will be useable for lipless crankbaits. It will be handy if you every want to swap it out for to do some pitching during colder weather. However if you go with one that fast, you'll have to make sure you stay conscious of how fast you are picking up line and that you may have to slow down some times.

The theory of a slower reel for cranking is more about power and not the speed. Slower reels allow you to work bigger crankbaits deeper without wearing the angler out.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

philm63

Ah, I see - slower then - so the 7 speed Chronarch - the wife will like that recommendation.