Mono backing

Started by Esox obsessed, November 11, 2020, 08:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

Im going to upgrade to 100lb braid and was wondering if for mono backing I should use line of the similar diameter or lb test

Bud Kennedy

You know I have to ask......Just what the heck are you fishing for?  I am not aware of fish in your area that could possibly require 100 lb braid.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Esox obsessed on November 11, 2020, 08:17:38 AM
Im going to upgrade to 100lb braid and was wondering if for mono backing I should use line of the similar diameter or lb test
I'm curious to know what freshwater fish in your parts will require 100lb braid, but if I would have to guess, match the mono to the diameter of the 100lb braid.

Esox obsessed

Muskies but im sick of loosing lures

Wizard

Have you tried a steel leader? Very old School but if it worked in the 1950's-60's, it will work today.

Wizard

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Wizard on November 11, 2020, 09:36:06 AM
Have you tried a steel leader? Very old School but if it worked in the 1950's-60's, it will work today.

Wizard
I'm with Wizard, short steel wire leader should fix this problem. Going heavier braid may not be the solution.

Bud Kennedy

I personally have done a lot of Musky and Northern fishing and a wire leader set up was what we used and typically on Mono line in those days.  The line size tended to be in the 20 # range.  The problem was not the size of the fish it was the teeth or perhaps rocks.  All I know is that it worked fine.  Believe me when I say that I have caught some monster fish on that very set up.   The real key is to use the correct rod and let it do the work it was designed to do.

Salt water anglers in my area are still using wire leaders just because of the toothy critters that live in the ocean.

Mike Cork

What reel are you using?

I know a lot of musky are hooked near the boat, but I also know there is a lot of casting with large lures that will travel half a football field. My point is you need a lot of main line and even braid at 100 pound is going to take up a lot of spool space. Mono backing doesn't have to be the same diameter. In fact you can skip the backing and simply taping the braid to the spool to increase your main line capacity.

Two reasons for mono backing,

1) to save line thus money, by not putting more braid than you'll need on the spool

2) Braid, if there isn't backing or is taped to the spool, will solidify and become a cylinder that will rotate around the spool and make the user believe there is no drag. This is a figure of speech. The line isn't actually melted together but it acts like it is and spins around the spool.

If you're wanting to save some money because you have a large spooled reel, just use a cheap 15 pound line. If you're wanting to prevent the cylinder effect, tape to the spool or use the same 15 pound mono but only 8-10 windings are need.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Bassinlou on November 11, 2020, 09:47:11 AM
I'm with Wizard, short steel wire leader should fix this problem. Going heavier braid may not be the solution.
Always use steel
Just going  heavy  i dont  loose the lure with steel to snags

Bud Kennedy

Sorry, still don't comprehend.  Just how exactly are you losing lures?  Break offs ?, Snags?, Fish? bad knots?  Are you fishing from shore?  Your loss of lures is baffling.  What is it you are not telling us?

Fun4me

Do I understand you correct? You're losing lures because you are snagging objects and are losing them because you are snapping the main line before anything else, while trying to get said lures back? You're going to 100lb braid to try and take the main line breaking out of the equation? If so, I would tie directly to the spool, or go with a few feet of backing. #100 braid is roughly the diameter of #20 mono. I would try to get as much braid on the reel as possible, especially if you're not using a reel with a larger spool. JMO

Terry G

100 Lb. braid
Snag
Pull like He__
Break Reel
lures are cheaper than Reals

Esox obsessed

Best knot
Double palomar but put doubled line through eye twice
Put my hand on the spool and walk backwards
Instead of the hook bending it breaks
Which shouldn't be happening considering ive caught bricks before

Fun4me

Quote from: Esox obsessed on November 14, 2020, 02:29:56 PM
Best knot
Double palomar but put doubled line through eye twice
Put my hand on the spool and walk backwards
Instead of the hook bending it breaks
Which shouldn't be happening considering ive caught bricks before

Where is it breaking?

Esox obsessed

Few inches Above the knot

loomisguy

Where are you fishing ?  Sounds like a flooded junk yard.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: loomisguy on November 15, 2020, 05:36:44 AM
Where are you fishing ?  Sounds like a flooded junk yard.
Ponds with fountains
It will get snagged on the fountain pipe and it breaks before the hook bends

loomisguy

I'm probably being Captain obvious but I would suggest since you know where said pipe is to not throw it there.

Esox obsessed

It happened twice once on me and other when friend took cast when i wasn't looking
There are also fish that hang out near that area

loomisguy

Then I would say live with it.. Losing baits is part of the game. There's always the ol tub o' night crawlers.

Oldfart9999

I would walk around the pond until the lure comes free. Puke and musky can shock line a lot harder than a bass.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on November 16, 2020, 06:07:23 AM
I would walk around the pond until the lure comes free. Puke and musky can shock line a lot harder than a bass.
Rodney
I did it didn't pop

loomisguy

You have a problem for every solution I'll say that.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: loomisguy on November 16, 2020, 09:08:04 AM
You have a problem for every solution I'll say that.
Almost always have and it's annoying

Pferox

What ya going to do when you pull the pipe apart?
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim