Okuma Rods

Started by kdubracing, November 13, 2020, 09:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdubracing

Does anyone have any experience with Okuma rods? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on their new crankbait rod, but wanted to see if people generally liked their rods. Not too many reviews on their rods, and this one is new also so nothing on it.

Bud Kennedy

Now you have me curious.  Just what or why do you seem to be attracted to the Okuma Rod.  Often rod choices boil down to personal preference of one sort or another.  Many of us here of course are Dobyns fans.  They are a site sponsor and we all know they build a quality product in a wide range of cost and function choices.  It is reasonable for many not to buy a rod they have not put hands on and I understand that situation.  Is that your concern as well?  The Okuma rod may be a great choice for you but only you will know that.  I personally believe it you are not looking hard at the Dobyns then you are missing out a bit unless there is something about the Dobyns rods you don't like.

kdubracing

I have a Fury spinning rod, and am a fan of it. I like the Fuji components on the Okuma. Dobyns goes from Fury to Champion on the crank bait rods. I'm looking for something more in between. Better than a Fury but not as expensive as a Champion. I also don't really believe you can get a good feel for a rod in a store anyway. You can fondle it and shake it all you want, but can't really tell a whole lot until a reel an lure are on there and in the water. I have an Okuma spinning reel also, and it's a solid reel for the money. I don't mind trying different brands and figuring out what I like. Just wondering what others' experience with Okuma rods are.

Bud Kennedy

Thanks for the reply.  Now I understand what you are wanting.  I guess that means you are stock on spinning versus casting.

kdubracing

No, the Okuma crankbait rod I am looking at is a casting rod. I just said I have a Fury spinning rod, so I know about that line of rods. I have never used an Okuma rod, so I was just seeing if anyone has any experience with them in general.

BassmanRudy

A friend years ago had a lot of Okumas and seemed to really like them. If you get a chance to handle them before buying I would do that. Sometimes the simplest things(angles/feel) will jump out just by picking it up.

Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Captsteve

Quote from: kdubracing on November 13, 2020, 01:11:56 PM
I have a Fury spinning rod, and am a fan of it. I like the Fuji components on the Okuma. Dobyns goes from Fury to Champion on the crank bait rods. I'm looking for something more in between. Better than a Fury but not as expensive as a Champion. I also don't really believe you can get a good feel for a rod in a store anyway. You can fondle it and shake it all you want, but can't really tell a whole lot until a reel an lure are on there and in the water. I have an Okuma spinning reel also, and it's a solid reel for the money. I don't mind trying different brands and figuring out what I like. Just wondering what others' experience with Okuma rods are.
Check out the Sierra line of Dobyn's rods.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

kdubracing

Quote from: Captsteve on November 13, 2020, 06:01:15 PM
Check out the Sierra line of Dobyn's rods.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk
Sierra is fast action only

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: kdubracing on November 13, 2020, 07:50:32 PM
Sierra is fast action only
True. But the Sierra fast action rip is slower than both a Fury and a Champ fast action.

Personally I like them for anything with treble hooks and have thrown quite a few different cranks on a Sierra.

IMHO they fit perfectly in that slot you were talking about between a Fury and a Champ. Like I said though, just my opinion.

If you do get the Okuma please keep us posted as to your likes and dislikes with the rod.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

jwkelley51

I've got Okuma evx spinning rods, ml, m and a mh. I like them fine. They look good, feel good and fish good. Lifetime warranty, if you lose the receipt you can enclose a check for I think $50 and they will send you another right away. They are pretty stiff with what I would call an extra fast action. I'd look at the Fury's first as they are common in stores. The Okuma is not and they may offer a more moderate action.

SteveTX

Quote from: kdubracing on November 13, 2020, 09:17:50 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Okuma rods? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on their new crankbait rod, but wanted to see if people generally liked their rods. Not too many reviews on their rods, and this one is new also so nothing on it.
I'll tell ya a guy that is a big Okuma and a crankbait guy. TackleJunky81 on YouTube. Very strait shooter he may be able to help ya some. Here is a video of his a couple years old but he explains why he likes them in the first 1:25 of the video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKURBt9-aS0

zippyduck

My trolling rods are Okuma. They are 8 years old and only one guide has failed. No breakage or any faults even after fighting big steelhead while trolling at 4 mph.
I have looked at the casting rods and feel they are heavy and not as balanced as Dobyns rods.
But if you are looking for a straight crankbait rod they will work just fine. They remind me of the old Fenwick rods.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

kdubracing

Thanks. I'm going to pull the trigger on the new Guide Select Crankbait rod this week. It'll be a while before I can fish it, but it looks like it should be a good cranking rod.

FlatsNBay

I've got a good buddy that used to be sponsored by Okuma. He loved their rods and I fished his crankbait rod before and liked it. I don't remember which model. He never had any issues with them and only switched because he got a better sponsorship deal. I'd say go for it. Please make sure to give us a review after you get some time with it.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

kdubracing

I was able to use my new Okuma Guide Select Crankbait rod today. I got the 7'5" Medium. This rod is outstanding. It was better than I expected it to be. Very sensitive for the money. I could instantly tell the difference between a rock, a limb, or a hit. To me it's a true moderate-fast, the best of both worlds. Casts great. First fish was just over 2 lbs. Caught a decent hybrid also. So far it seems to keep the trebles pinned very well. The handle could be a bit long for some. I either like it, or don't mind it. I haven't decided yet. After one use, I would highly recommend. 

BassmanRudy

Nice!! Catching fish first time out with a new rod means it must be lucky!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

ohiobass

I'm curious about Okuma rods also. I own 3 Okuma RTX spinning reels, that I purchased for under $50 each new, and they are a great reel! I own Stradic Ci4+'s, and Daiwa Tatula LT's, and Pflueger Patriarch XT spinning reels also, and for the money, the RTX's are a steal!

Polaris425

I don't have any experience w/ their rods, but the reels... are SO SMOOOOOOOTH.......

If their rods are of the same quality as the reels I've played with, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on one.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

kdubracing

The crankbait rod I recently got is my only point of reference. I've had it out a few times now and am very impressed with it. I have caught several fish on it now. The action is perfect and it's pretty sensitive. I have decided I like the longer handle for a crankbait rod. If their other rods are like this one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: kdubracing on January 04, 2021, 10:55:55 AM
The crankbait rod I recently got is my only point of reference. I've had it out a few times now and am very impressed with it. I have caught several fish on it now. The action is perfect and it's pretty sensitive. I have decided I like the longer handle for a crankbait rod. If their other rods are like this one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the rod. I appreciate first hand experience like this when it comes to product information.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire