A little set back on my Eyra

Started by Elwood, November 28, 2020, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elwood

Actually the setback is with the motor.  I was Caddo lake two sundays ago and came off plane for a large patch of salvinia.  I idled though the weeds and notice a large gap between boat row markers.  I glanced around and I looked to be in the boat row and over half way between the two markers I could see.  I wasn't!  Right as I was about to break over on plane I hit the the broke off marker.  Damn long troll from A42 to the the ramp.  Just got the call from the dealer and I have done more damage than expected.  I knew the prop shaft was bent and lower unit was toast.  Also bent a new Bravo 1 Lab Finish.  But was shocked to find out the I also snapped the drive shaft off inside the power head.  They still have not gotten the broken shaft out and may have to tear down the power head to get it out.  Damn 2020!!!!!
I guess that getting the cooling system cleaned out is a little cheaper than what I am going through right now.  Going on week three with no fishing and parts are slow to get here.  Yes I do have insurance and they said that it would be covered.

Thank the good Lord that no one was hurt and I guess that hunting season will get a little extra attention this year.

Elwood
Bass Cat Boats Moderator / Dobyns Rods Pro Staff
2020 Bass Cat Eyra 2020 Mercury 300R 4S

BassmanRudy

Dang... hate to hear it Elwood. When those boat row markers get snapped off by the oil rig barges it "should" get immediately reported and fixed!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Wizard

I feel for you, Elwood. Even on a clear cut lake like LOZ, I've seen folks hit something and break a motor. Deadman is the main culprit. I have a limestone reef at the front of my cove. It is 200 yards long and mostly just a few inches under water. It also guards a major gas dock for the lake. Every year, a cigarette boat will go over the reef at speed. Break 2 or 3 racing engines and you better be wealthy. I watched a 50 ft. racer hit the reef, go airborne, and T-bone a 70 ft. three deck yacht....in the middle deck. It was stuck in the yacht and hanging 15 foot in the air.

Wizard

Mike Cork

Dang it... Boy I thought you knew Caddo like the back of your hand... While I appreciate the marker information I hate that you torn up your motor to find it. Trying to look at the bright side... I know you love to get in the woods...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Polaris425

Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Elwood

A little better news today.....the lower unit will just need rebuilt with a new housing and shaft.  Gears were ok.  Drive shaft is snapped and they will have to remove the power head to get it out.  That will drive up the labor cost.  Still don't have total damage estimate yet but hopefully get it soon and the insurance adjuster will ok everything to get on order.  Would be nice to get my rig back in Dec.
Elwood

Mike Cork

While it's only going to cost a deductible I'm very interested to hear the total.

Cork's Reel Service

Elwood

With prop$1500, Lower Rebuild and housing 6500, Powerhead removal$1500, driveshaft $1000 and probably another $1000 that I have not accounted for is my guess. $11000-12000 is my guess and that may be low.  I am just ready to get my boat back.  Hunting is fun but does not fill the need....lol
Elwood

Princeton_Man

Ouch!

Insurance is a wonderful thing.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

big g

Thank God no one got hurt, and thank God for insurance.  We all hate the bill, but when something happens it's a relief to know they have your back. :-*
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Nutt

That sucks, but at least insurance is going to cover everything and you weren't hurt.  Luckily you were just taking off and not on pad.  The motor may have come to see you and it could have been really bad.  Several boat lane markers are snapped off or leaning bad.  I always cringe when I go past one that was there last week but not this week.  Caddo and Bistineau boat lanes need some maintenance for sure.
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Oldfart9999

Oneida Lake has a lot of reefs, because it's part of the Erie Canal system they are marked with pin buoys. If the lake has whitecaps and they can be impossible to see, if a major storm has gone through they can be moved. A lot of props and lower units have been lost, cost me a prop.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Elwood

12G is the price for my mishap.  Sucks and I am happy that I have insurance.  I just want to get this behind me and start chasing the rabbit again.....lol
Elwood

caddyjoe77

yikes!! Glad its getting fixed for you. 
BeerMe

Elwood

Thank you.  Still not sure when I will get it back because the prop shaft went back ordered.  This is a long nightmare....
Elwood

Mike Cork

That sux... Man I hate waiting without a boat. Lots of things in the bass fishing world are behind, from motor parts to fishing reel parts. It's an industry that took a huge hit with layoffs... Doesn't help you out though...

Do they have a shipping estimate?

Cork's Reel Service

BassmanRudy

Dang that sucks... I'm sure you want to be flying around a lake somewhere.

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Elwood

I should know more Monday....and yes I do want to be flying around again!!!!!   All in good time and I know that EK Marine is doing the best that they can.  They have always taken care of me.  Four deer down because of this mess.....more to follow suit.....Ha Ha
Elwood

BassmanRudy

Did you get back up and running again?!?!

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Elwood

Nope....parts are still back order.  About to pull my hair out.
Elwood

BassmanRudy

Oh nooo... I'm sorry to hear that.

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Wizard

A $70k boat just sitting.  You know the business. Every time a new engine design appears, guys want the latest and greatest. Manufacturers are building motors as fast as possible to fill demand. Their last thought is parts inventory as all parts are going to build motors. Hopefully, they will pull a part for you. Parts start moving to inventory after peak demand. Usually at the end of the first or second engine run.

Wizard

Elwood

I don't care if they shit one at this point....lol  The 1 1/4 inch prop shaft is rare right now and Mercury can't keep up with demand.  16 Jan is my ship date but it was 28 Dec so I will not be amazed if it does not ship then.  And Yes it does suck to let a 70+K boat sit in the shop. Thanks for rubbing the salt in that wound for me....lol  At least they are keeping it inside for me.
Elwood

Captsteve

Quote from: Elwood on January 04, 2021, 06:33:58 AM
Nope....parts are still back order.  About to pull my hair out.
You can probably blame corona

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

BassCatBates

I will say you have it with the best I know.  EK does fine work.... need to tow mine down there to get some routine maintenance done.
2009 MediaBass South Arkansas Division Angler of the Year.

Union County Bass Club.