Need Spinning Reel for Finesse

Started by Blacknredflake, December 23, 2020, 06:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacknredflake

Getting a Dobyns Colt Series 702SF for some finesse stuff like Shakeyhead or Ned.

What would be a good decent budget Spinning reel that could make this budget setup work?

Would like to keep the cost under 60-75 bucks. Yea I know thats a stretch for quality

Im barely even a weekend warrior anymore with fishing. But joining a local Bass Club and Im in need for a budget setup for when the Finesse bite is on for tournaments.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Pferox

I can Only suggest Penn Reels, the Pursuit III runs around $45 or so. I have Pursuit and Pursuit II reels and they are solid. Many are over 10 years old. I'm using them in salt so I know you can probably double the life in fresh water.

One I'm not familiar with because it is brand new, is the wraith reel, it is running about $10 cheaper than the Pursuit.  I'm pretty sure it is a good inexpensive reel also.

Most other good reels I can suggest are more in the $80 dollar range and up.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Blacknredflake

Quote from: Pferox on December 23, 2020, 06:46:59 PM
I can Only suggest Penn Reels, the Pursuit III runs around $45 or so. I have Pursuit and Pursuit II reels and they are solid. Many are over 10 years old. I'm using them in salt so I know you can probably double the life in fresh water.

One I'm not familiar with because it is brand new, is the wraith reel, it is running about $10 cheaper than the Pursuit.  I'm pretty sure it is a good inexpensive reel also.

Most other good reels I can suggest are more in the $80 dollar range and up.
I have a Penn Wraith 10ft spinning combo for saltwater with 8000 reel. Its smooth.

And ideally Im unsure on reel size. Im assuming 2000-2500 is round about universal size.

Planning on using braid at the moment but have been juggling the idea of trying Flouro.

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Pferox

Oh hey I forgot to add the Fierce III line, they run in the mid $60s.

They are the first in the line I think that are all metal construction, the others are composite.

I have two 2000 size of the original Fierce reel.  I bought them as bait reels, but have caught my fair share of slot and over slot sized Redfish and Speckled Trout, even some Black Drum.  These fish are pretty much about the same size or bigger than what you would run into in fresh water.  They are still going strong many years later.  I have 20lb braid on em and never worry about a break off of any kind except maybe toothy critters.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

nats

My daughter won a dobyns 702 on this site.  I bought her a President 30 XT ($79) and it balances perfectly

kdubracing

I have a Daiwa Legalis LT on my Dobyns Fury 702. Huge fan. Light, smooth, balances great, good drag. Would highly recommend one of the Daiwa LT models.

Pferox

For 20lb braid or less you can get away with a 2000 or 2500 reel.  That will only use 8lb test mono or flouro though.  Which for finesse might be enough, depending on where you live, down South, that isn't enough.

If you are planning on spooling mono or flouro, you should probably look into a 3000 or 4000 size reel. That will get you into 12 to 17lb mono or flouro, although I have put 20lb mono on some 4000 size reels, but they are kind of short on line sometimes.  These also become kind of heavy and unruly when trying to cast all day.

abzack1

I have the President 30 and had the President XT 25.  I like both very much and I recommend either one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dink Dawg

The Legalis LT or Revros LT reels are, in my opinion the best bang for the buck spinning reels on the market.  The have several features from the Procyon.  ;PEP)

Blacknredflake

Quote from: Dink Dawg on December 24, 2020, 06:54:38 PM
The Legalis LT or Revros LT reels are, in my opinion the best bang for the buck spinning reels on the market.  The have several features from the Procyon.  ;PEP)
Those are the two im looking heavily into getting.

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

chrisD46

Quote from: Dink Dawg on December 24, 2020, 06:54:38 PM
^^This^^ ... You will be completely satisfied with either in a 2000 or 2500 model matched up to a 702SF !!