Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

You have $175.00 to...

(Read 921 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

lockinload

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Spend on a spinning outfit.  7ft, medium weight /fast action.
What rod and what reel?
Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:51:31 PM by lockinload

kdubracing

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I have a Fury with a Daiwa Legalis LT. Should put you right in that range. I'm very pleased with it.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
Dobyns Fury 703 SF rod and a Pflueger President reel.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

lockinload

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
60 views and 2 replies?  Are bass fishermen shy?  Thanks for the responses so far.  I have several fly rods and reels that are in the $1000 range so I'm not cheap but as a new basser I guess I need to go through the learning curve.  That said, if I am wasting my money on low end equipment, your feedback would also be appreciated.  I can grab a fly rod off the shelve and know how it will perform but I am seriously clueless when it comes to this other equipment.  I really want to be geared up come spring.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Ok, here goes nothing.

What are you planning to use it for? Bass, trout, or other.
What kind of baits? crankbaits, spinners, or bottom contact like jigs or t-rigs.
What kind of cover are you planning to fish? Rock, wood, or grass.
Clear water, dirty water, rivers, lakes. or streams?
Deep or shallow?

It is so hard to make a decision without a purpose for the rod. A general purpose rod that can cover most of these is hard to come by and usually just gets by with most of them.

If this is just one of a few rods you have then I would step up on the price range.

I have what I call a good general use spinning combo, but it is out of that range.
It is a Sierra 703sf with a Shimano Sahara FS 2500. The wife has one also and uses it for everything from spinnerbaits to dragging light jigs. It has enough sensitivity for bottom contact but enough tip action to handle fish on treble hook baits.

When it comes to Bass fishing sensitivity is paramount to feeling those subtle bites. That is why a more expensive rod is important for baits like jigs and t-rigs.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
60 views and 2 replies?  Are bass fishermen shy?  Thanks for the responses so far.  I have several fly rods and reels that are in the $1000 range so I'm not cheap but as a new basser I guess I need to go through the learning curve.  That said, if I am wasting my money on low end equipment, your feedback would also be appreciated.  I can grab a fly rod off the shelve and know how it will perform but I am seriously clueless when it comes to this other equipment.  I really want to be geared up come spring.

As you can tell this site is very loyal to Dobyns Rods.  Surely there are other rods out there that are also quite good but we tend to honor our sponsors quite a bit.  With that being said.  Many bass rods tend to be purpose built based on the conditions you will use them, the species you are targeting and the types of baits you will be using.  The fury rods being mentioned are not the top of the line Dobyns but quite good.  You would have to consider rods in the $250 - $550+ area if you are wanting the best available from Dobyns.  Otherwise you will likely be entering into the territory of custom built rods.  If you are willing to consider more expensive rods for a more detailed purpose it would help to get more responses from the membership.  You can click on the Dobyns banner on the right side of this page and see all the many models available or you may post in the Dobyns rod forum and ask Gary Dobyns himself what his recommendations may be.  Gary is not on everyday but gets by the site a couple times per week.  In the mean time based on your inputs as I suggested you would likely get more recommendations and probably more question to help guide you towards your decision.

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
St Croix Triumph retired rod with the lightest spinning reel you can afford with the rest of the money.

The Triumph retired rods are being liquidated for $70-$80 each and I just got 2 of the TRS70MLF, which is a 7' Medium Light rod.  I got them for my travel drop shot/ned rig rods, so if they get broken somehow, I'm not out a fortune.  I'm hard on lighter weight rods when I travel on other peoples boats for some reason.

I caught 2 nice drop shot fish on them a couple of weeks ago and they had good sensitivity for the money.  I don't regret the decision to buy them.  I have a Pflueger Supreme XT on it because I wanted the lighter weight compared to some of my other spinning reels.

My higher cost rigs are on the boat, so I'm trying to dial in the best travel rigs for the money, since stuff is more likely to get broken/abused on a trip...

zippyduck

• Charter Member
St Croix Triumph retired rod with the lightest spinning reel you can afford with the rest of the money.

The Triumph retired rods are being liquidated for $70-$80 each and I just got 2 of the TRS70MLF, which is a 7' Medium Light rod.  I got them for my travel drop shot/ned rig rods, so if they get broken somehow, I'm not out a fortune.  I'm hard on lighter weight rods when I travel on other peoples boats for some reason.

I caught 2 nice drop shot fish on them a couple of weeks ago and they had good sensitivity for the money.  I don't regret the decision to buy them.  I have a Pflueger Supreme XT on it because I wanted the lighter weight compared to some of my other spinning reels.

My higher cost rigs are on the boat, so I'm trying to dial in the best travel rigs for the money, since stuff is more likely to get broken/abused on a trip...

This would make a great combo on the cheap.

lockinload

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Ok, here goes nothing.

What are you planning to use it for? Bass, trout, or other.
What kind of baits? crankbaits, spinners, or bottom contact like jigs or t-rigs.
What kind of cover are you planning to fish? Rock, wood, or grass.
Clear water, dirty water, rivers, lakes. or streams?
Deep or shallow?

It is so hard to make a decision without a purpose for the rod. A general purpose rod that can cover most of these is hard to come by and usually just gets by with most of them.

If this is just one of a few rods you have then I would step up on the price range.

I have what I call a good general use spinning combo, but it is out of that range.
It is a Sierra 703sf with a Shimano Sahara FS 2500. The wife has one also and uses it for everything from spinnerbaits to dragging light jigs. It has enough sensitivity for bottom contact but enough tip action to handle fish on treble hook baits.

When it comes to Bass fishing sensitivity is paramount to feeling those subtle bites. That is why a more expensive rod is important for baits like jigs and t-rigs.

Fair enough.  My primary lake to fish will be Pueblo Reservoir.  Rock bottom, not a lot of weeds or foliage. Target areas will be in the 10 to 30 ft range. Ideally I would also like to target Walleye or Saugs but I have caught enough small mouths that, from the sport of it, I can not pass that up.

Types of bait?  The ones that will catch fish, I don't know.  Lot's of bait fish in this lake so probably swimming types but I sure like jigging too.  I'm comfortable with a bait caster and I use the term "comfortable", very loosely, but I am more familiar  with a spinning rod for something all around. I probably need to hook up with someone locally and spend a day...or month with them on the water.

Keep in mind, I have spent the last 25 years fly fishing and know every different pattern of flies available and how to present them.  This is a whole different world.  What I do know, I have learned to slay fish in the salt water and trout waters and will learn how to fish for these warmer water fish too.  I will never lose my passion for fly fishing.  I certainly plan on using a fly rod for bass, maybe stripping a leach on a weighted line. 

zippyduck

• Charter Member
On a rocky lake I really like to drag jigs on points and crank around boulders and shell beds. A Sierra 703sf will work for both and also work a dropshot quite nicely also.
For numbers of fish a shakeyhead and dropshot will get lots of bites.
I will not handle any of the 20 foot cranks but down to 10 -15 it should work ok. Any deeper really needs a specialty rod.

loomisguy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Kistler is running a great sale . You can pick up the Graphite series for 99 bucks that's normally $150 add a Shimano Nasci and your good to go with a quality set-up.
Little over a buck seventy five but the extra expense is money well spent.

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
$175 is a hard target to hit. I'd bump it up to $200. There's a lot of rods and reels at the $100 price point each that are really good.

I agree with Apen on the Phlueger Supreme. I have had one for years and everyone that uses it, compliments me on how light and smooth it is. I recently got a Daiwa Fuego LT for $100 that I love. It's light, smooth and great for saltwater as well. It's now my go to medium light spinner. I have it paired with a Powell Inferno for $100 ( on sale) and it's the perfect combo. Light sensitive and strong. I'm very happy with my $200 combo and would buy it again if I needing another combo. 

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

BHenke

• Smallmouth
Dobyns Sierra 703 SF currently 30% off at Tackle Warehouse for $119. Pflueger President XT Limited Edition through Bass Pro Shops for $50. This combo for $170 is an outstanding deal. In fact if I was looking for another spinning setup I would buy this.

lockinload

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Thanks gentlemen, I think I will get the Dobyns 703SF.  I doubt I can get it locally here for what I can buy online but will check out Sportsmans warehouse today and see if they carry it.  I will also pick up a reel there as I have a gift card burning a hole in my wallet.  I'm leaning Daiwa. 

Next question, braided or mono/fluorocarbon?  I have a spool of Power Pro braided in 40# already, thinking I will throw that on but I'm not sure.  If braided are ya all running a mono leader?

BHenke

• Smallmouth
Thanks gentlemen, I think I will get the Dobyns 703SF.  I doubt I can get it locally here for what I can buy online but will check out Sportsmans warehouse today and see if they carry it.  I will also pick up a reel there as I have a gift card burning a hole in my wallet.  I'm leaning Daiwa. 

Next question, braided or mono/fluorocarbon?  I have a spool of Power Pro braided in 40# already, thinking I will throw that on but I'm not sure.  If braided are ya all running a mono leader?

I think Sportsmans Warehouse still has their sale of 20% off on Dobyns rods. However I know for a fact they will price match any other current sales.

BHenke

• Smallmouth
I think Sportsmans Warehouse still has their sale of 20% off on Dobyns rods. However I know for a fact they will price match any other current sales.

My bad. I was thinking of Sportsmans Outfitters which is another online outdoor store.

kdubracing

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I run 15# braid to 6# Invisx leader on mine. I have ran straight fluoro in the past but prefer the braid to leader.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby

No leaders for me. I run straight braid on everything but one reel setup for a particular cranking situation.

For spinning reels I actually prefer 14 pound test Berkley Fireline because it cuts vegetation better than regular braid, but I have a couple with 15 or 20 pound regular braid also. I'll drop even lower on either line if I need a smaller diameter line to give the bait more action or to get a crankbait really deep.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Never Handled a Sierra, but from what I've read that would be my first choice.  On sale for $119 at TW.  Daiwa Revros LT at the same store is $50 so just squeezing under your budget.  I bought an earlier model Revros for a brother-in-law a few years ago.  The one I fish with when visiting Florida.  Haven't heard any complaint yet about the reel.

My second choice would be a Fenwick HMG.  I've never found them on sale, but for $100 I wouldn't mind paying full price.  I have a few of the older models.  Personally I feel they are a very nice rod for the money.  Same reel or try to find a Daiwa Exceler LT on sale.  I have no experience with that reel, but reviews I read are very good.  Full price for both the HMG and Exceler would put you $5 over your limit.
Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:14:10 PM by 1ReelFanatik