Fury A-rig rod choice?

Started by Bassinkorea, January 10, 2021, 03:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassinkorea

I have been waiting for a different brand rod to arrive back in stock in Korea, but it's looking less likely that I will get it, or get it on time. So I'm also looking at a Fury, either 795SB or 806HSB

I like the idea of the extra length of the 806, but the Lure Weight of 2~8oz's seams a bit overkill.
I will only be throwing A-rigs on this rod as I have no interest in throw those huge swimbaits around

What say you Dobyns experts?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

loomisguy

Can't claim expert status but I have thrown them on the 795 and it's works fine for the rig I throw these days which is 5 arms with 3 1/8 oz heads and 2 teasers on the top arms on hitchhikers.

Bassinkorea

Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone had any experience with the 806 for A-rigging?

BHenke

I think this subject has come up on the Dobyns Rods Community Facebook page. If there is ever a question here that can't be answered someone there definitely can. Gary visits that page almost on a daily basis to also answer questions.

zippyduck

BK,

Sorry I can't help with this one. I threw an A-rig for about three days and never threw it again.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bassinkorea

Quote from: BHenke on January 13, 2021, 04:13:44 PM
I think this subject has come up on the Dobyns Rods Community Facebook page.

Thanks, I check the FB page.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: zippyduck on January 13, 2021, 05:25:52 PM
BK,

Sorry I can't help with this one. I threw an A-rig for about three days and never threw it again.

You are missing out on some good fun  ;D

Mike Cork

I still haven't caught a fish on an A Rig, but I can throw the hell out of one...

I've played with several rods, some hurt my shoulder after a couple casts, some were plain miserable to handle. I settled in on the 795 for a Yumbrella Flash Mob Jr. It's a smaller rig, but still a five arm.

I have not used any 8 foot rods. But personally for the A Rig I'd go with a flipping stick versus a swimbait rod. The flipping stick is going to have a little more give in the tip for launching baits. If you notice Gary labels his rods in this manner. Meaning, you can get an 8 foot flipping stick if the length is something your looking for.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

caddyjoe77

no idea which one to get but an A-Rig does do well with a flipping stick.  A swimbait specific rod is going to have a bit more of a crankbait type of rod action IMO. 

Side note:  You should throw some big swimbaits -- now that is some good fun as they SMASH glidebaits. 
BeerMe

Bassinkorea

I went with the FR806HSB, and it showed up here today.....  ;D

Mike Cork

Awesome... get out there and catch a few and let us know what you think :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bassinkorea

I sure will. I might be able to try on Sunday, but I've some upgrades going on with the boat this weekend (more on that later)!

Sent from my LM-V510N using Tapatalk

Bassinkorea

I have just had 3 days straight on the water launching small to medium to huge A-rigs with the FR806 and it handled them all with ease. I'm glad I went with the 806. I absolutely love the longer handle on this thing, it makes the casting effortless. After the 3 straight days I have no fatigue or anything.

The only issue was I didn't catch single bass on it, but I did manage to snag an ugly looking carp  lo

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bassinkorea on February 15, 2021, 04:12:49 PM
I have just had 3 days straight on the water launching small to medium to huge A-rigs with the FR806 and it handled them all with ease. I'm glad I went with the 806. I absolutely love the longer handle on this thing, it makes the casting effortless. After the 3 straight days I have no fatigue or anything.

The only issue was I didn't catch single bass on it, but I did manage to snag an ugly looking carp  lo
Hmmm.... I have the CH806 maybe that will serve as good A-rig option for me, since I have never thrown that rig before.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Bassinlou on February 15, 2021, 04:29:55 PM
Hmmm.... I have the CH806 maybe that will serve as good A-rig option for me, since I have never thrown that rig before.

I would definitely give it a try Lou  :-*
With other 'lighter' rods I would have to "lob cast" the A-rig, but with the 806 I can cast the rigs much like casting any other kind of lure.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bassinkorea on February 15, 2021, 05:20:43 PM
I would definitely give it a try Lou  :-*
With other 'lighter' rods I would have to "lob cast" the A-rig, but with the 806 I can cast the rigs much like casting any other kind of lure.
Cool! Tx.