Piscifun line spooler with braid

Started by Esox obsessed, January 14, 2021, 07:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

I use the Piscifun line spooler to spool my fishing reels but with a couple braids I've  used it doesn't seem to put enough tension to prevent it from digging into itself so i was wondering if i should not use it with braid or if there is something I should do to add more tension as gloving up only caused a mess

apenland01

Spinning or casting reels?  What type of spool, skinny, wide?  Do you use one of the adapters?

Esox obsessed

Spinning and no i dont use the attachments I usually use spools from 150yrds to 1000yrds and it holds fine
It's just the extra tension needed with braid i cant get

kdubracing

I have never used any tension other than my fingers to spool brain on a spinning reel. The first time you make a cast and reel it in, all the tension will be gone anyway.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: kdubracing on January 14, 2021, 11:33:01 AM
I have never used any tension other than my fingers to spool brain on a spinning reel. The first time you make a cast and reel it in, all the tension will be gone anyway.
How to you use a brain for fishing line

kdubracing

Fun4me

^^ this!!

You don't have to crank on the tension while spooling braid. Get it as tight as you can, and go fishing. Line digging is going to happen no mater how tight you spool it the first time. There's no such thing as non digging braid in my experience.

Example; lets say I could spool braid with 100 pounds of resistance (I know it's an outrageous number, just follow me). I the tie on a frog, jerk bait, popper, or any bait that I'm taking up virtually slack line in between pops, walks, or jerks etc. I bomb a 40 yard cast. I reel the bait 30 yards before getting bit, I set the hook and land the fish. I now have line dug into 40 yards of braid that has little to no tension on it. That 40 yards of braid will never have 100 pounds of tension again. Most guys I know, including myself, use the pinched finger method kdubracing suggests. 

Smallie_Stalker

This is how I do it also. I know some people who run the braid through the pages of a heavy book like an old Yellow Pages to put some extra tension on the line.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

apenland01

To answer your question, if you are using spinning reels and no attachments for the spool, you'll need to tighten the set screw that locks down the spool (the big screw on the claw).  If that doesn't provide you enough tension, you can place a rubber band around the arms to lock them down on the spool as tight as you want.  You'll want the small set screw on the top to be just loose enough to allow the claws to spin.  If you have it too tight, it will allow line twist because it isn't spinning enough when needed.

After spooling up, you won't have any line twist, but you'll still have to deal with the braid digging in after a strong hookset and fight, or after trying to get unsnagged.  It will dig in.  The best advice is after a fish fight, or after a snag, pull off a bunch of the line to get the dig undone and then reel it back on.

It's a hazard of braid fishing unfortunately.....

Esox obsessed

So it will dig but will it damage the line then or should I use it like normal

apenland01

It's not common for the line to fray after digging in on itself, it just makes it nearly impossible to cast when it hits the dug in spot.  After you pull out some line, give a quick inspection as you reel it back and check for fraying.

Esox obsessed

jwkelley51

I've never used anything but my fingers to put braid on a spinning reel. Never had it dig in on spinning reel either....unless I got snagged and yanked around too hard and did it myself. If you're having trouble with braid digging and wind knots watch some utube videos on spooling a spinning reel. Something ain't right about it.