Trailer Hook Keeper Hack

Started by HellaBass, January 16, 2021, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HellaBass

Super Quick Video on how to make a better Trailer Hook Keeper yourself

Donald Garner

Great tip tks for sharing the video with  us.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Deadeye

Quote from: HellaBass on January 16, 2021, 12:34:48 PM
Super Quick Video on how to make a better Trailer Hook Keeper yourself

What a Great, Simple, and Very Effective trick.

Thanks for sharing.

Oldfart9999

Works like a charm, quick, easy super cheap, been doing it for years. Great tip!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

ike8120

Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

HellaBass

coldfront

I have always used my extra/excess skirt collars.  prefer black as it also represents the 'spot' on most shad bodies...

Bud Kennedy

I have a question about letting the trailer hook swing free.  Have always thought it needed to be more secure to keep it straight out the back of the bait. So....Why is a free swinging trailer hook better?

coldfront

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 19, 2021, 12:20:56 PM
I have a question about letting the trailer hook swing free.  Have always thought it needed to be more secure to keep it straight out the back of the bait. So....Why is a free swinging trailer hook better?

I've never given it much thought.  but my trailer hook is free swinging, but I suppose it could give it a little more ability to better 'catch' in the mouth of the fish.  during retrieve, it's in line and not 'swinging' so short strikers still get stuck.

might be a little less 'capable' of coming through hard cover without hanging up.  but I always figured if it hangs easier, it hooks easier.

Oldfart9999

A free swinging hook will always be in line with the spinnerbait or buzzbait and when turned up comes through cover a bit better. A fixed hook can be knocked out of alignment if it bumps into something pulling the bait off line.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.