Wind knots

Started by Esox obsessed, January 17, 2021, 05:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

When you guys get wind knots do you untangle it or cut it since the line is weakened

Bassinkorea

I can't say that I ever get wind knots when bass (lure) fishing, but have had many when fly fishing (fly casting).
It would be best practice to cut and retie, but I can honestly say that I have carried on fishing with wind knots in the line without any issues.
It would also depend on the line poundage you are using. If you are using over 12lb line for example and only catching small bass then I don't think it would hurt too much. But if you are using 6lb line then I would probably retie.

Sent from my LM-V510N using Tapatalk

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Bud Kennedy

Lose the spinning equipment and go with casting equipment.  Problem solved.

Capt. BassinLou

I tend to get much less wind knots when using braid on my spinning gear.

jwkelley51

I use braid with a leader and close the bail manual. I've heard that reeling it closed could cause knots. If your not closing it with your opposite hand you might start.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: jwkelley51 on January 23, 2021, 08:21:52 AM
I use braid with a leader and close the bail manual. I've heard that reeling it closed could cause knots. If your not closing it with your opposite hand you might start.
Of course I do

apenland01

I only get wind knots when I get too aggressive on line diameter/spool size on my spinning reels.  I don't get them very often anymore, but when I do, I gently pull each end of the knot and if it untangles itself, I'll fish through it.  If it gets any type of knot, I cut it and retie.  I used to go through a lot of line while I was experimenting and had to have several backup reels at the ready for tournaments.

Once you find the line diameter/spool size ratio that works on your rigs, you won't get them very often.

Another tip is whenever you see any twist between your guides after a cast, even if it's just one curly-Q, run the line out behind the boat and troll out all the line off the spool with nothing tied on the end of the line.  Then reel it back in and will now have twist free line for however long it lasts.  Also, after you reel in your bait, let it hang and spin for a second to undo the line twist you just put in.

Terry G

If at home you can remove line twist by by letting out line while walking across the grass this will un twist the line. I normally let out approx. 1 to 1 1/2 cast length of line and walk 50 yards with nothing attached to the line. It has worked for me 60 years. you can walk in circles if you can't walk in a straight pattern

apenland01

Quote from: Terry G on January 24, 2021, 06:13:59 PM
If at home you can remove line twist by by letting out line while walking across the grass this will un twist the line. I normally let out approx. 1 to 1 1/2 cast length of line and walk 50 yards with nothing attached to the line. It has worked for me 60 years. you can walk in circles if you can't walk in a straight pattern

This is also great advice!  I used to tie my line to a chain link fence and walk it out in the neighborhood park.  Once all the line was off, I walked back and cut the line from the fence.  Reeled in the line and the ground would allow the line to untwist.  I never had to walk in a circle, but that would do the job in a backyard or other small area!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Terry G on January 24, 2021, 06:13:59 PM

One can implement a similar technique on the water from a boat. I have done this several times when my  mono is coiled. From the TM or Outboard, slowly go forward and begin to free spool your line. The resistance of the water will pull out line. Once all or a majority of the line has been spooled, begin to reel in your line keeping the line pinched with your index finger and thumb. This will remove any coils, plus ensure your line is spooled tight on your reel.  :-*