The scent thread

Started by kdubracing, January 24, 2021, 06:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdubracing

Just curious, what scents do you guys use? What flavors are your favorite? Do you use shad when imitating baitfish and craw when imitating craws? Do you like/dislike garlic? Do you have any issues or preferences between aerosol, gel, liquid, chapstick style? Do you use on hard baits, or soft only?

Bassinkorea

I do not use scents of sny kind these days, but many years ago I used Megastrike. I never noticed any differences whether using it or not.

Sent from my LM-V510N using Tapatalk

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

rb-nc

Have you noticed that when those companies quit paying pros to use scents, they stopped using them

kdubracing

Quote from: rb-nc on January 24, 2021, 07:33:01 PM
Have you noticed that when those companies quit paying pros to use scents, they stopped using them
I actually listened to an interview with Carl Jocumsen last week and he was saying he always uses scent. Wasn't pushing a company either. He also said Brandon Palaniuk does as well.

big g

I don't use it anymore, but did for years.  I had a Dandy Dipper cup that hung off one of the boat cleats, and out over open water.  I would drip a plastic bait into the cup, and immediately make a cast.  It had a screw top if you were running somewhere just screw down the top and you could leave it hanging off the boat while you moved.  A nice device for guys that like to dip a lot, yet keep their boat clean, and  No dripping on the carpet. :-*
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Fun4me

I don't feel that scent will negatively impact catching fish. Will it help? who knows, but it won't hurt IMO.

BassmanRudy

I use scent to "cover/mask" anything that I touched(sunscreen is the worst scent per several articles) and may have transferred to a soft plastic bait. Coffee is my favorite (and doesn't make your fingers stink!!) after that I'll use garlic, nightcrawler, shad, etc. I will say that it's kinda a confidence thing too and just yesterday the spawning fish we were catching seemed to look at the lures we added scent too opposed to the ones we didn't.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

SteveTX

What I have noticed over time is a lot of soft plastics come with the companies own version of scent now vs back in the day I don't believe many if any did.
Personally I could care less if it comes with any scent or not. If I do my part getting my bait in front of the fish I have been pretty successful in getting them to bite.

Capt. BassinLou

I use megastrike from time to time on my plastics and jigs.

Oldfart9999

If I use a scent it's Berkeley Power Scent, it's used to mask any odor that's not natural.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

I've shared this before:  I do use scent from time to time.  basically, my 'go to' scents are smelly jelly craw w/glitter and shad.  I use the soft stuff in craw on jig trailers and tubes.  I use the liquid shad (green) with tubes (inject inside).

depending upon where you are, time of year, the fish will show a preference.

cold water, winter bite?  that scent helps them hold on a little longer for me.
middle of summer?  about half the time the fish seem to prefer NO scent.

believe it or not.

lots easier to get a feel for these kinds of things if y ou're on the bodies of water where 20-40 fish/day are not that uncommon.

when you're scratching for 4 or 5 fish?  pretty tough to really settle in on a pattern.

add on:  there are days where a plain KVD 3.5 green pumpkin tube flat outfishes a KVD 3.5 greenpumpkin tube WITH coffee scent.

greenpig

i use sometimes pure garlic, I think Bass don't find the lure by scent but I'll bet they taste garlic when they bite.
so they bite it longer. as Bass love garlic scent.

Eric-Maine

Used to go through 10 jars or so of smelly jelly every season. Got tired of the big grease stains in my carpet lol
With my last boat I swore off it though still use it CRigging a lizard so the plastic doesn't fetch up on itself and deadsticking a jig. I don't do either very often.

I do believe sent helps though rely mostly in the sents baked in now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

coldfront

I think I use it a LOT.  but never made it through more than 1/2 a jar in a season.  usually less.

kdubracing

I'm going to get some Bang, Megastrike, and Fish Sticks to experiment this year. That will give me a spray, a gel, and a hard stick. My thinking is use the spray on jigs, as I've seen other people state the gel sometimes mats the skirt strands a bit. Then use the gel and stick on plastics and experiment on hard baits.

BassmanRudy

For the soft plastics I use the most I just open the bag and squirt the scent in and let them "stew".

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

BASSCATLILDAVE

I use Craw Scent a lot. I wish I had a good homemade formula. Do any of you fellers make your own?

coldfront

BassmanRudy

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

fishingram24

I have used Kick N Bass in garlic and crawfish for many years now and am a believer in a scent making a difference.
Retired and loving every minute of it!

FlatsNBay

Any of you remember Fish Formula? That spray used to get everywhere and it looked like an oil slick around the boat.

I occasionally use scent when the bite is tough and when I remember to. I've favored Liquid Mayhem because it's a gel and doesn't get all over everything.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

Quote from: greenpig on January 25, 2021, 09:29:11 AM
i use sometimes pure garlic, I think Bass don't find the lure by scent but I'll bet they taste garlic when they bite.
so they bite it longer. as Bass love garlic scent.

If they are Italian and it's best with a good marinara sauce.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

1) Scents help mask human (and other) odors - whether or not that actually makes a difference I don't know and can see either side of the debate).

2) Externally applied scents and gels help a bait slip through heavier cover easier.

3) Scents engage another of the bass' senses. How close they need to be to smell that I don't know (and this could go back to point #1).

4) In dirty to muddy water scents MAY (or may NOT) help a bass find a bait and decide to bite.

I am a firm believer in engaging as many of a bass' senses as possible just to hedge my bets. When possible, I prefer Berkley Power Bait scent. But to be honest over the many years I've caught more fish than I can remember on unscented plastics like Zoom or unbranded bulk purchases.

On a related note, the Berkley series of baits has both scent and flavors cooked right into the bait. I believe that makes a difference in that add-on scents have to be reapplied often.

At the very least IMO it can't hurt to use a scent so why not?

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FD

I use Mega strike occasionally.  Mostly as a lube to help plastics slide through the grass.  JJ's magic also but that is more for the dye than scent.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

OkobojiEagle

I'm a long time PowerBait fan (and more recently MaxScent), but feel the cooked in scent is less of an attractant and more of a taste enhancement that encourages bass to keep that piece of plastic in it's mouth just a little longer.  I do, however, use bottled scent products as a "lotion" applied to my fingers/hands to keep my scent from transferring to the bait.  Some habits just add to my confidence...

oe