Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fishing line ??????  (Read 7489 times)

Brian

• UB Member
  • Good Fishin'
Fishing line ??????
« on: September 21, 2003, 09:13:24 PM »

Has anyone used Izorline or Sufix fishing lines?

Brian
Fish More Work Less

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
Re:Fishing line ??????
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 07:36:28 AM »

No, I haven't used those lines but I am curious who makes them?
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

gunter1309

• "Zeus"
  • Smallmouth
  • Second place is the first Loser!!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 10:29:00 AM »

I have used Izorline 6lb test, they had a booth at the Classic in New Orleans when Kevin VanDam won.  They had a line tester and were challenging people to tie their best knot in their line and trilene then tested the strength.  The izorline would routinely break at 35 to 45% above test strength ie..6lb test would break at 9lb.  I bought some for drop shotting on spinning tackle and have been impressed, but have not found any locally.  hope this helps

steve
'If you got to be in it, you might as well win it!'

Brian

• UB Member
  • Good Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 09:04:44 PM »

They have it at Toledo Town and Cabelas also carries both. I think I will try both for the heck of it. I'll let ya know how it works after a few trips.
Brian
Fish More Work Less

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 11:15:50 AM »

cool, looking forward to a report. I may try some my self and help you out with the tackle testing process......

Cork's Reel Service

bass1cpr

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
Re: Fishing line ??????
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »

Suffix is a new compay. I've used some of the six pound test on a crappie rig. I was happy with it for that. I've got two spools to test in 14 lb. Clear and green, the waters a little right now need a hammer to maek a whole in it but it should thaw this week with the warmer temps they said were comming our way 50's. Ice in, Ice out. don't ya just love winter.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Cobra0718

• UB Member
  • FnG
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 03:57:20 PM »

Personally I would save the money on Suffix lines. I gave them a shot when I found out Realine was going out of Business.

I was very disappointed to say the least. I use 20 lb and 12 lb all the time. I was breaking off when setting the hook. It didn't matter what the water conditions were, cold or warm. I also, was checking for fray spots all the time, which I always do. It didn't matter if I was crankbait fishing or throwing a jig.

I switched back to Realine, and problem was solved. I have since started using Cajun fishing lines and I'm really impressed with it. My partner hasn't been happy with me using it, but that only because I've been tearing him up... Do I think it's the line, I don't know but I'm not changing now!  lo

Charlie
B&D Custom Lures
KidLizard Pro staff Administrator
Flying Fisherman Pro staff

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 04:43:42 PM »

It's always interesting to me when two seperate folks have completely different results with a line. Take the Suffix line. Cobra0718 (welcome to the board by the way, glad to have you) says it breaks easily while bass1CPR has had good results with it. I have to wonder what the manufacturing process is to create to seperate results. A date stamp on line would be a great thing as well.

If you don't mind what kind of knot were you using?

Cork's Reel Service

Cobra0718

• UB Member
  • FnG
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 07:24:16 PM »

I use a few different knots, just depends on the application. Wish I knew the names then I'd tell you...lol
B&D Custom Lures
KidLizard Pro staff Administrator
Flying Fisherman Pro staff

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 09:45:33 PM »

Cobra I only brought it up as it might be a difference between the two results. Not that anyone knot is better than another but we all have our favorite and I wonder if some lines don't react well to certain knots?

Cork's Reel Service

bass1cpr

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 10:16:03 PM »

Cobra nobody likes to change something they like. Especially Me. My #1 line is P-Line.The suffix was given to me to try out and tell them what I thought. I used the 6# on a spinning rod, I haven't tried the 14# yet. I use 8 and 10# for my crankbait rods, 12# on my worm rods, and 15# on my jig rod. I know that sounds light but I have confidence in my line. I can pull a 20 FT. boat around with 12# P-Line and I usually have to wrap it around a cleat and use the trolling motor to break it off.  I've been experimenting with Stren Florocarbon this year and I like some of the features of Florocarbon. But 12# P-Line is stronger than 17# Stren Florocarbon.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

crazybass

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 05:54:07 AM »

I used 12# and 14# Suffix line and loved it.  Last year Suffix had 2 different types of line one has less memory and one is better in tough conditions. I used the line with less memory. I understand they changed their packaging and names on the different lines this year.

Siggy by DundeeMike

bass1cpr

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 09:34:07 AM »

Your right there crazybass, There are three different colors also. Clear, Green, and Lime Green which is Hi Vis. DNA is the new name, Glad to hear you liked it.

Worm Angler

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 09:04:43 PM »

I have been using silver thread line for 5 years and have never had a problem
It is easy to cast small diameter and strong

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 09:07:56 PM »

I have never tried silver thread but have heard good things about it. What part of the contry do you fish in there Worm Angler . Do you have a lot of cover? Just wondering if you fish it in mainly open waters or if you have used it in the thick stuff too?

Cork's Reel Service

Worm Angler

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 09:22:53 PM »

I fish in mainly northen Indiana and southern Michigan using 8# silverthread with a lot of grass and rocks
It is very durable in all fishing situations
I have tried all the other lines and always end up using silver thread again

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 09:29:25 PM »

Rocks was a concern. So I am guessing it is pretty abrasion resistant? You say you have tried others, do the rocks cause abrasions in the other lines?

Cork's Reel Service

Worm Angler

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2005, 09:36:32 PM »

Rocks are always a bad thing, seagar floracarbon is well liked in this area for rocks but I prefer the silverthread as the most versitile for me

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2005, 09:45:20 PM »

Cool, well I guess I will have to give it a shot. What do you think about memory? Does it have any? What pound test do you use?

Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005, 11:10:54 PM »

Here you are Worm Angler and welcome aboard  ~c~ ~c~ and we are glad that you joined us here. when you come back would you stop by here Welcome New Members for a little welcome and some invormation about a contest for our new members. Thanks and welcome again.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

shadow745

• Fisher Person
  • FnG
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 08:04:42 AM »

Have any of you guys tried Yo-Zuri's Hybrid line? It's awesome in every aspect (abrasion resistance, very low memory, excellent know strength, low visibility in the water, etc.). It's a blend of fluorocarbon and nylon to give you the best of both. Another favorite of mine is Berkley's Ironsilk. Neither of them are cheap, but I never put a price on line because it's the only link (not to mention the hook(s))  between you and the fish. Do any of you use the Cabela's and BPS brand of lines? Later!

shadow745

• Fisher Person
  • FnG
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 01:13:29 PM »

Another factor that must be considered regarding the performance of line is spool design. I'm sure it matters on a spinning reel, but I know it makes a difference on a baitcaster. For example, I notice a huge difference between both of my reels. My Calcutta 150 has a standard design Shimano spool, which is narrow, small in diameter and deep (small shaft). I've noticed that this spool design seems to give more memory when using certain types of line. My TD-X has the infamous long cast type spool, which is large in diameter, but has a V shape to it. Even though it doesn't hold alot of line the design does help with casting performance. If I try to use a really strong line such as P-Line's XXtra Strong I have a hard time using it with the Calcutta because of line memory, lots and lots of coiling. On the other hand, I can use it with the TD-X with no problems at all. This holds true for every line that I've tried on both reels. Later!

casey3535

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 07:20:45 PM »

I use power pro braided line, I use to be a straight stren person but i fished a tournament last year my non-boater was using power pro it felt great. I done some studying on it 20 pound test power pro has a equal diameter to most other 6 pound test. Plus the smallest bite feels like a lunker. Its great for fishing a jig, its tough but very sensitive. However it is expensive, but as my wife says'' why else would I work'' lol.

BIG PAPA

• "TCTC"
  • Ultimate Basser
  • 9.1 Caddo They call me BIG PAPA
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005, 05:21:57 PM »

I use power pro on my frog rods and 1 of my jig rods, but for everything else I have gone to Bagley's super silver thread. Great line.

papa 8)

Way2slow

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2005, 06:07:44 PM »

My 2 cents on a couple of ya'lls fovarite lines.  Iron silk, one of the few lines I've ever tried that broke pulling the knot down.  Didn't matter what kind of knot.   Tried the 10 lb and 14# in the green and the line would break like sewing thread.  Every hookset on a fair size fish and it would break.  Tried 10 and 14 for a grand total of a half day.  Didn't take long to get that off. 

Tried Stren Flro, a couple of different times but there's something about it that makes me keep going away from it.  Never have put my finger on that one.  I think the biggest thing is I fish a lot of top water and the stuff sinks like a rock, killing the action of the lure.

P-Line is tough but like fishing with wire, stuff develops a memory as soon as you spool it up.  Even though it and Stren Original is the two I use most.

I've heard good things about McCoy line and would like to try some but have never found anyone that sells it. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 23 queries.