Straight Mono or CoPoly

Started by Bud Kennedy, January 31, 2021, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Looking to spool up one rig with a mono style line.  I have never used a copoly line but am considering using the Sufix Advance in 12 LB test.  Is this a good decision or should I just stick with straight mono.  It will be used for top water prop style baits.  If you have used this line I would like to hear your comments.

apenland01

Co-poly will normally have a bit of sink to it, so if you are using for top water prop walking baits, you might want to stick with mono.  I've tried a few co-poly lines with my boing lures and other top waters and I think they behaved better with straight mono...

bigjim5589

Bud, I've used them interchangeably for years. Never really gave a lot of thought to it, as long as the line did what I needed and was affordable. The other choice for me has been braids.

I've used Ande mono lines a long time off & on, and have gone back to using them. Also still use the Yozuri Hybrid. Stretch and memory have been my primary considerations, plus cost, and they each vary between them, but both have worked well for me. We all view the lines we use differently, because of how we like to fish.

I used Silver Thread too in the past, mainly in light tests for, 4 to 8 lb, for panfishing and general fishing, and have no complaints about it, except when they started making the AN version, I didn't like it as much, because it had more memory IMO than the earlier line they made. I also only used it on spinning gear. I use the Ande & Hybrid on both spinning & casting gear, and some just do not seem to work well on both. Yozuri makes  a "soft" version that does work well on spinning gear.

I've used the various popular lines like Trilene & Stren too and they have varied over the years. I can't say I had any bad experience with them, but also wasn't looking for line that worked well for any specific techniques. These were more general purpose. Big Game was one of the Trilene lines I used for bass, and it worked, but has a good bit of memory. I still have a surf fishing reel with Big Game on it, only because it's not a costly line and when all I'm doing with it is dunking bait occasionally, don't see a need for specialized line.

IMO, some of these lines change, because the brand changes who actually produces them, so now that's a consideration for me. It wasn't in the past. I've been buying the Ande line direct from them, and it's the same line as I used 30 or more years ago as near as I can tell, so now to me that's important. So far the Yozuri line has also been consistent, and I like it a lot, so I've been sticking with it.

I've yet to find perfection with any line, and there may be better choices, but I'm going to stay with what I've been using as a good balance of performance & cost.

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Bud Kennedy

Jim, I too am reluctant to change from my known stand by products.  I have decided to stay with Sufix Seige for this particular mono application.  I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.

bigjim5589

IMO, I've wasted time & money attempting to find something better in the past. That brought me back to lines I had used and have to agree. It wasn't broke, but I think many of us do look for better, and often it's been right under our nose.  ::)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Fun4me

The flip side is, the new things we try might end up being our new best. How would I know if Copoly would work for me, if I don't try it? Line is pretty cheap. It's not like wondering if I might like a Shimano Calcutta Conquest reel paired up with a Conquest rod.

If we never tried to find better, the bait monkey wouldn't exist :)

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Fun4me on January 31, 2021, 03:18:38 PM
The flip side is, the new things we try might end up being our new best. How would I know if Copoly would work for me, if I don't try it? Line is pretty cheap. It's not like wondering if I might like a Shimano Calcutta Conquest reel paired up with a Conquest rod.

If we never tried to find better, the bait monkey wouldn't exist :)

Don't mind trying new stuff but this line will be spooled up and used for my upcoming bucket list trip.  Thought I would stay with what I know for this one.  Might try the copoly when I return home where there is not so much on the line.  (no pun intended)

Fun4me

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 31, 2021, 03:37:50 PM
Don't mind trying new stuff but this line will be spooled up and used for my upcoming bucket list trip.  Thought I would stay with what I know for this one.  Might try the copoly when I return home where there is not so much on the line.  (no pun intended)

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, probably best to stick with something you know works. Have a blast on your trip!!

loomisguy

I've used the advance for a year or so and have no issues. It's not the thinnest line out there but I use the 12lb. for topwater and crankbaits. It doesn't any issues with memory and casts well.. I personally like the green.
For strictly topwater it's pretty hard to beat braid however,  it makes a average bait walk, wake or chug better.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: loomisguy on January 31, 2021, 04:38:44 PM
I've used the advance for a year or so and have no issues. It's not the thinnest line out there but I use the 12lb. for topwater and crankbaits. It doesn't any issues with memory and casts well.. I personally like the green.
For strictly topwater it's pretty hard to beat braid however,  it makes a average bait walk, wake or chug better.

The top water in the plan is the Devil Horse.  It is strongly recommended not to use braid as it tends to hang up on the props on the bait.  I will have two other braid filled rods for use with other top water baits.  The mono reel then could also be used for certain types of cranks/spinner baits/chatter baits.  Another rod will be rigged for some good ol senko type baits.

Pferox

I got turned off by Siege after they did a formula change quite a few years back.  It didn't hold up to saltwater like it used to.  Might be OK in fresh, dunno haven't been there in quite a while.

When everything is on the line, I would go with Ande, it has never failed me.  Right now I have years worth of Pline CXX that has to be used up.  Good stuff in the abrasive department, is about all I can say about it.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

jwkelley51

I put a short hybrid/mono leader on the braid. It works for me anyway. I use the shin knot....easy.

ohiobass

Love Silver Thread Excalibur copolymer, and Izorline XXX Super Copolymer. I catch 1,000+ smallies a year up on Erie, and NEVER had problems with these lines. I can't remember the last time i had a break off either, and that's while catching PIGS up on Erie......maybe 30 years ago....that's also because I balance my rod & line, power/action/ lb test.

jwkelley51

I've been using some of the pline copolymer flurocoated lines. Latest is the premium in fluroscent blue. It's  thin diameter and says 30% less stretch plus gives the impression that's it's less visible due to the flurocoating. I can't swear by any of that but it is pretty limp and reasonably visible above water. Doesn't seem to have much in the way of memory. My gripe is that it is not much in the way of abrasion resistance. Open water, just fine but if you drag it through brush, retie often. If you hook a fish in a tree, retie. Fortunately it's cheap. I have a couple of boxes if the topknot 100% fluro to try due to some recommendations from this site. Anxious to try it.
I really don't know that the different lines have produced more fish for me than old big game...except for braid, braid is good.

The Rooster

Quote from: jwkelley51 on March 07, 2021, 06:36:29 AM
I've been using some of the pline copolymer flurocoated lines. Latest is the premium in fluroscent blue. It's  thin diameter and says 30% less stretch plus gives the impression that's it's less visible due to the flurocoating. I can't swear by any of that but it is pretty limp and reasonably visible above water. Doesn't seem to have much in the way of memory. My gripe is that it is not much in the way of abrasion resistance. Open water, just fine but if you drag it through brush, retie often. If you hook a fish in a tree, retie. Fortunately it's cheap. I have a couple of boxes if the topknot 100% fluro to try due to some recommendations from this site. Anxious to try it.
I really don't know that the different lines have produced more fish for me than old big game...except for braid, braid is good.

I've currently got some 10 pound P-line floroclear on a spinning rod and my experience so far has been severe memory and twist. Looks like an old time phone cord running up the rod length and across the water. Is that different line than the P-line you mentioned or the same stuff?

I've only been fishing with it one time so far and I can safely say I made less than 20 casts with it. I'm guessing either the line just isn't good or else it's the way they spooled it at Cabela's when I bought the reel a couple of weeks ago. Can't see how though. They took just the reel spool and wound line onto it like you would a baitcast reel. Should be no twist at all. First cast? Twist city. Give it a little slack and it wraps around itself a dozen times. They even treated it with Reel Magic as they wrapped it. I just now soaked it down with KVD Line and Lure overtop of what they did. The KVD stuff is much better in my experience.

caddyjoe77

Quote from: The Rooster on March 09, 2021, 07:01:19 PM

I've currently got some 10 pound P-line floroclear on a spinning rod and my experience so far has been severe memory and twist. Looks like an old time phone cord running up the rod length and across the water. Is that different line than the P-line you mentioned or the same stuff?

I've only been fishing with it one time so far and I can safely say I made less than 20 casts with it. I'm guessing either the line just isn't good or else it's the way they spooled it at Cabela's when I bought the reel a couple of weeks ago. Can't see how though. They took just the reel spool and wound line onto it like you would a baitcast reel. Should be no twist at all. First cast? Twist city. Give it a little slack and it wraps around itself a dozen times. They even treated it with Reel Magic as they wrapped it. I just now soaked it down with KVD Line and Lure overtop of what they did. The KVD stuff is much better in my experience.

curious about the bolded part.  From my experience, it is better to turn the spool sideways for spinning reels.  I do mine with the spool sideways and I dont get twists.  Curious if that is what is contributing to your severe twist. 

BeerMe

The Rooster

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on March 09, 2021, 07:46:41 PM
Quote from: The Rooster on March 09, 2021, 07:01:19 PM

curious about the bolded part.  From my experience, it is better to turn the spool sideways for spinning reels.  I do mine with the spool sideways and I dont get twists.  Curious if that is what is contributing to your severe twist. 

I watched that video, and no, they didn't spool it like that. The guy put line on by putting the spool on a spinning motor shaft and he guided line onto it by hand as if his hand was the level wind mechanism. I bought two reels, one at Cabela's and one at Bass Pro Shops, and both times they did that. I already stripped the line off that was put on at BPS, it was just cheap Excel mono. But I bought the P-line while at Cabela's. I was in the moment so I let them talk me into them putting it on for me.

jwkelley51

Floruclear and cx premium are different products. The fluroclear is much stiffer, I would think the premium is better for spinning reels.

kdubracing

My wife's spinning rod has Fluoroclear on it and she doesn't have a problem at all with twist. I did spool it on the reel the same direction it went on the spool. I also use KVD line conditioner on it, so I'm sure that helps the memory as well. That stuff does wonders on copoly line. I use it on the Fluoroclear, Yozuri hybrid, and Invisx and I never have a memory problem at all.

The Rooster

Ok, thanks. I soaked down the spool of line with KVD, and even rubbed the length of line going up the rod all the way to the lure tied on the end. We'll see if that helps it any. I might also de-spool about half of it while out on the water and wind it back in to see if that will make the line on the spool useable until I re-spool again, at which point I will put it on the way I normally do. Also might just try the CX next time as well.

znate80

For topwater I use braid to mono leader if using a walking type bait. Straight braid if throwing buzzbait,whopper plopper or frog.

Crank baits,spinner baits,jigs and spinning rods I use yozuri hybrid. Have had good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loomisguy

If your having trouble with twist on a spinning reel there is no reason to not put braid on the thing and end your headaches.
That BPS Exel is actually some good line . I buy 1000 yds at a time and use it on my shaky head rod.
The vast majority of the time if you spool a spinning reel by just throwing the filler spool on the floor label up it will be the correct rotation, if not turn it over.
Also never ever close the bail by cranking the handle always by hand.
What size reel are you using 10lb. on ?

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 31, 2021, 10:30:36 AM
Looking to spool up one rig with a mono style line.  I have never used a copoly line but am considering using the Sufix Advance in 12 LB test.  Is this a good decision or should I just stick with straight mono.  It will be used for top water prop style baits.  If you have used this line I would like to hear your comments.

i've used this exclusively has a leader to braid, but if i recall did spool with braid backing on a reel and it performed fine.  i'll say this...you can haul an 18 wheeler with it...12# that is...very strong line.

chrisD46

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 31, 2021, 05:03:57 PM
Quote from: loomisguy on January 31, 2021, 04:38:44 PM
*For braid you could use a short 14" #15lb. mono leader to braid or even easier is to use one or two bobber stops on your braid mainline - then slide the bobber stops down snug to your walking bait ... The bobber stops keep your braid pointed straight just enough to keep from wrapping up in your front treble hook - try it !

The top water in the plan is the Devil Horse.  It is strongly recommended not to use braid as it tends to hang up on the props on the bait.  I will have two other braid filled rods for use with other top water baits.  The mono reel then could also be used for certain types of cranks/spinner baits/chatter baits.  Another rod will be rigged for some good ol senko type baits.

Oldfart9999

I agree with Loomisguy, the easy way to hold back line twist is go with braid but I've found mono can be called for at times, if I find line twist at the end of the day I'll run the spool under hot water for several minutes, I'm not sure why but it fixes the problem and doesn't seem to hurt the line at all.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.