Any guys out there doing 3d printing

Started by cadman, February 13, 2021, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman

I have been doing 3d printing for over a year, and I finally found a good application for it outside of the everyday stuff. I have been cleaning reels for the guys in our fishing club and decided to make some tools for reels. The first one is a 10mm/11mm double handle nut remover.  I used to use a nut driver with tape on it to keep from scratching the plating or the black paint that is on some handle caps. However since I made this tool, it has worked out really well as it doesn't mar anything (Pic 1). Then this past week, I was cleaning some Shimano Stradic CI4+ 2500 spinning reels. The rotor nut is recessed in between two sets of bosses (Pic 2) and I tried a box wrench, deep socket  and an open end wrench. The box wrench and the socket didn't grab the nut deep enough because of the bosses and the open end wrench, started to scratch the face of the rotor. So I made a tool (Pic 3) that fit over the shaft, in between the bosses and right over the nut. It works very well and no damage to the brass nut or the rotor face. I am in the process of making some 3d printed fishing jigs. I will post some pics when I'm done. The thing about 3d printing is you can make any thing you can dream of. Any other guys out there doing this for their fishing hobby?
"Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cadman

Hi Mike,
     Thank You. I try to make things so they are easy for me. I'm sure guys that do this for a living have all the special tools for this.
"Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

Mike Cork

I've been cleaning reels for 30 years and do have my fair share of modified tools, but I only clean bait casters with an occasional spinning reel for good customers.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service