How Many 8:1 Bait Cast Reels Do You Own ?

Started by chrisD46, November 10, 2020, 04:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 10, 2020, 08:59:16 AM
There are times when every rod on my deck will have an 8:1 reel on it. From pitching to ripping traps. If it's not 8:1 I'm using a 7:1. Once past a strike zone I want the bait back to cast again.

I just like fast reels, I'll turn the handle slower if needed, but you have to remember to do so.

5.  most are 7's.  a few 6's.  two 5's.

I should really sell the 5's.  I just don't use them.  I'd STILL rather have a 7/8 for cranking 'cause I can slow down (and 'feel my way' through cover)...but when I need speed, it's hard, much harder to get.

'burnin' a bait now describes the pain in my forearm.  not the speed of the bait.  when I use those lower geared reels.

SteveTX

Quote from: coldfront on February 21, 2021, 10:16:30 AM
5.  most are 7's.  a few 6's.  two 5's.

I should really sell the 5's.  I just don't use them.  I'd STILL rather have a 7/8 for cranking 'cause I can slow down (and 'feel my way' through cover)...but when I need speed, it's hard, much harder to get.

'burnin' a bait now describes the pain in my forearm.  not the speed of the bait.  when I use those lower geared reels.
If you like the reels that have 5s in them you might see if its a option to swap the gears for a faster set. I have 5 of the old Smoke reels one was a 5 speed and yesterday I ordered new gears in 6.6:1 for it. They made the SL150SPT that is a 6.6:1 ratio and the SL150PPT that is a 5.3:1 ratio speed as well. Makes for a easy swap and I get to put another reel I really like back in the rotation for $25 and a little of my time.

I know its not a 7 or 8 but maybe your reels have a 7 that they can swap to.