Shimano Metanium MGL 150 B

Started by apenland01, February 03, 2021, 05:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apenland01

This just arrived this afternoon from Tackle Warehouse.  It's going on a custom FD rod for weightless flukes.  The darn thing hardly weighs anything....

I'm going to do a head to head comparison with my upgraded Shimano SLX 150 that LgMouthGambler upgraded with the HawgTech bearings early last year.  It's a pretty nice reel now for $100, plus what I paid for the upgrade, so I'm interested to see if the Metanium MGL 150 B is a whole bunch better or just a little bit better.  The Metanium is a little over a half ounce lighter, so that is significant in it's own right.

I'm a Lews guy for all my baitcasters, except for these two Shimano reels.  I'll be interested to see how the new Metanium MGL 150 B performs with lightweight baits....

Mike Cork

I've got a couple older Metaniums, I will be interested in what your head to head reveals.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FD

The rod shipped today...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

caddyjoe77

you'll soon find out why i started that bait monkey thread.   lo That damn LMG was involved in that fiasco too!!

sweet setup.  I like that rod.  Specs??
BeerMe

apenland01

I think it's going to be an amazing combo, so I'll be sure to update with some thoughts after I use it over the next few weeks.  It's first use will be at a tournament on 2/13 and another on 2/20.

I'm going to take the reel out this weekend though and try to get some time with it before the tournaments....

FD

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on February 04, 2021, 04:34:57 PM
you'll soon find out why i started that bait monkey thread.   lo That damn LMG was involved in that fiasco too!!

sweet setup.  I like that rod.  Specs??
7-3 NFC X-ray LMX medium x fast blank, Crb performance black titanium guides, custom FDx carbon fiber grip. The trigger is set short at 9.5" from the butt for an easier twitch. Weighs right at 3 oz.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

fishballer06

Good luck with this reel. You'll likely have the same issue I had with mine. I bought one, and it multiplied into three.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FD on February 04, 2021, 04:41:44 PM
7-3 NFC X-ray LMX medium x fast blank, Crb performance black titanium guides, custom FDx carbon fiber grip. The trigger is set short at 9.5" from the butt for an easier twitch. Weighs right at 3 oz.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Don't want to hijack this thread, but the blank mentioned above is AWESOME!!  :o :o

apenland01

Quote from: Bassinlou on February 17, 2021, 03:26:47 AM
Don't want to hijack this thread, but the blank mentioned above is AWESOME!!  :o :o

It's not hijacking lol, this really is a combo thread, since I'm using the reel on the FDx custom rod.

I was supposed to use it during a tournament this past weekend, but it was 20 mph winds most of the day and we stuck to drop shot all day.

It'll get it's first real workout this coming weekend for a tournament.

apenland01

Quote from: fishballer06 on February 16, 2021, 11:41:52 PM
Good luck with this reel. You'll likely have the same issue I had with mine. I bought one, and it multiplied into three.

Hahaha, you may be right....

apenland01

I'm not sure exactly who spooled up this nice reel with line, but they did a terrible job of it....

Mike Cork

Professional over run, they happen LOL

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

apenland01

I cast it about 100 times with a weightless fluke, then switched to a 1/4 drop shot.  Got in a hurry and didn't change the settings.  When the drop shot started to slingshot through the air, the ball of yarn overcame my thumb pressure.  I worked on it for 10 minutes during the tournament and then just threw it in the bottom of the boat and stuck a different reel on the rod.  It was ugly.  Cutting the line off tonight and respooling it's so bad.....