Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing. ADD SPACE
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk updated, please report any issues here!

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

ADD SPACE

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me understand please. Crankbait vs Jerkbait  (Read 375 times)

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Help me understand please. Crankbait vs Jerkbait
« on: February 05, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »

Iím confused. Iíve always thought crankbaits are supposed to be fished on rods with more forgiveness in them, such as a M/MF power and action, due to the treble hooks they use, so it helps prevent tear out when setting a hook or fighting a fish. Jerkbaits also have treble hooks but I read those should be fished on a stiffer rod such as a M/F. If they both have the same hooks, why does it matter to use different rods? I understand presentation can make a difference, and I also understand some things are a compromise and even maybe just a personal choice. Iím just wondering why they say do one thing because of trebles, but then disregard that on the other bait. It seems the same risk of tear out would apply both ways.

bigjim5589

• Forum Staff
Re: Help me understand please. Crankbait vs Jerkbait
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 10:44:49 AM »

Great question and I can't answer it other than I like the rods I use for them. They are as you describe, and my crankbait rods are mostly inexpensive composite fiberglass, while I use a graphite spinnerbait rod for jerkbaits, which is stiffer anyway due to the difference in materials in the rods.

I'll toss some very light lures, both types sometimes on ultralight spinning gear and treat them both the same, except different cadence and rod manipulation with the retrieves.  Although I may not be specifically targeting bass when I fish with them, juts anything that might hit the lures.

Technique is different otherwise, as I often just cast & crank a crankbait, allowing it them to bump & bounce off whatever is there, but get much more erratic with jerkbaits with stops & starts and rod manipulation. Sometimes fish them on the surface too. There was a time I fished them both the same way, before they called them jerkbaits. Used to just call them "minnow" lures, such as the original Rebel Minnows or Rapala balsa minnow. Didn't know any better.  lo

I also toss big 7" jerkbaits for Stripers, and fish them the same ways as I do for bass, and with a stiffer rod because the lures are heavier, as are the size of the trebles. Just what I've gotten used to doing.

Maybe someone with more technical knowledge of rod design will post something because I would also like to know.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 11:12:19 AM »

I can see using baits with bigger hooks not being so different that Iíd have to have a special rod. Most of my crankbaits and jerkbaits all have the same, smallish sized #6 hooks on them which is why I always think I need a softer rod for those. So it doesnít make sense for me to use a different rod just for the purpose of the crankbait hooks, but not be concerned with the jerkbaits.

Iím probably overthinking it, as I always tend to do. I just bought a ML/F St. Croix Premier spinning rod to use with 1/4 oz crankbaits, just for the flex that it has, but even I sort of feel the rod is too limber for jerkbait working (havenít tried it yet though). To me, if it is and I end up wanting another one just for jerkbaits, it would make me question why I needed this one and if I bought the wrong one or not.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:39:03 AM by The Rooster »

njpaulc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »

The difference is you work the jerkbait with the rod to impart the baits action.  The stiffer the rod, the more action you can impart.  A slower rod will absorb some of the action with rod flex.  This is also a problem with treble hooked top water baits.  A crankbait has most of the action built into the bait, with you adding pauses or speeding the bait up, but rarely jerking the bait to make it dart or dance.

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 11:41:17 AM »

The difference is you work the jerkbait with the rod to impart the baits action.  The stiffer the rod, the more action you can impart.  A slower rod will absorb some of the action with rod flex.  This is also a problem with treble hooked top water baits.  A crankbait has most of the action built into the bait, with you adding pauses or speeding the bait up, but rarely jerking the bait to make it dart or dance.

Right, and I get that. Thatís always been my thought on that. But in getting a stiffer rod for jerkbaits, donít you worry about the hooks tearing out of the fish after youíve hooked it? Or maybe not even hooking it cause the rod was too stiff and pulled it out too soon?

kdubracing

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 04:35:14 PM »

Right, and I get that. Thatís always been my thought on that. But in getting a stiffer rod for jerkbaits, donít you worry about the hooks tearing out of the fish after youíve hooked it? Or maybe not even hooking it cause the rod was too stiff and pulled it out too soon?
I think you may be lookin a little too far into it. You can use a fast action rod with crankbaits and you won't necessarily tear hooks out or lose fish a lot. It just helps to have a more moderate rod, especially since you don't need to use the rod to impart action as stated above. Some people do like to use more moderate actions for jerkbaits too. It's just personal preference. If you prefer a faster rod for jerkbaits, just don't try to horse them in quickly. Constant pressure is the key.

loomisguy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 05:03:49 AM »

The Jerkbait is designed to catch suspended fish. Around here it's a cold water ,winter time deal for the most part. Cast it then wind it down and give it a few jerks and pause. Keep that cadence all the way back to the boat you need to vary the length of the pause and the amount of jerks until they tell you what they want. The pause could be 5 seconds could be 30 seconds the bait will suspend and just sit there.
  A crankbait like a wart or RK crawler I fish mostly straight down the bank or at a 45 at the most .
 the bait is on the bottom bouncing off rocks with a steady retrieve for the most part.
A crankbait is a reaction bait and you want them to grab it without getting a real good look at it.
 I like a longer more moderate rod for crankbaits and a shorter and snappier rod for stickbaits  but there's probably more argument about what makes a good stickbait rod than any other technique .

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 05:12:56 AM by loomisguy »

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 01:27:07 PM »

I use BPS Crankin Sticks for crankbaits and spinner baits and top water, they are a a composite and for the money very good. I use BPS Bionic blades or CARBONLITEs for jerk baits, and spinning gear also, I use floating jerks a lot in the spring, summer and fall along with suspending. This arrangement works well for me.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 03:40:22 PM »

if your preference is for stiffer, faster action rods, then you need to consider drag settings AND the need for 'soft hands'.

stiffer more sensitive rods have their advantages.  but you can also use them in a way that negatively impacts your hook ups, etc.

there are 'rules of thumb' out there.  and there are folks who do it completely opposite.  and are extremely successful in spite of that.

you can adapt your response/technique OR you can spend another $400 on a rod/reel combo.

that's the truth.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 04:52:34 PM »

I will try to explain this.
The jerkbaits need to stop quickly and not be slowly dragged after the snap action. A fast action rod will stop moving faster, thus giving the jerkbait a quicker stop. Where as a MH to slow action will react slower and give the bait too  much movement after the snap.
As far as keeping fish pinned, I feel finding a rod between a fast and a mf is the best  for action and keeping them pinned.
A Dobyns 704cb is my choice in factory builds but I had a Custom built for jerkbaits.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

ohiobass

• Smallmouth
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »

^^^THIS^^^

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 11:48:40 AM »

But in getting a stiffer rod for jerkbaits, donít you worry about the hooks tearing out of the fish after youíve hooked it? Or maybe not even hooking it cause the rod was too stiff and pulled it out too soon?

the short answer is 'YES'.  so the key question is this:  how does what an ANGLER does moderate the drawbacks in each situation?

I fish XFAST actions on all my rods.  7 - 8 foot rods.  MH to heavy action.  crankbait rods run a little longer.  jerkbait rods on the shorter side.  but they're all pretty heavy XFAST rods.  I compensate with flouro/mono on the cranks.  flouro on the jerks.  but MOSTLY with drag settings and 'soft hands'.

those big parabolic crankin rods have to really be 'leaned on' to set the hooks.  OR, you just put steady pressure and let the hooks set themselves.  now, why would 'that part' be all that different from jerkbaits?

for me:  it is not.

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 07:13:34 AM »

You don't impart action to crankbaits, just reel them in? To get bit with any real regularity I have to jerk and pull and stop my cranks.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

ADD SPACE

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 30 queries.