Reels I have

Started by jeffturner92, February 05, 2021, 01:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffturner92

I currently two Abu Garcia Black Maxes, An Abu Garcia Max Pro and a Lews Xfinity> I want to get a good crank bait rod and reel and maybe up my game a little bit. Do you have any recommendations?

kdubracing

I just got an Okuma Guide Select Crankbait rod and put a Tatula SV TW on it. I've used it a few times and caught some fish. I'm a big fan of this set up. That would be my recommendation, but there are a lot of reels that would be good for crankbaits.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: jeffturner92 on February 05, 2021, 01:51:12 PM
I currently two Abu Garcia Black Maxes, An Abu Garcia Max Pro and a Lews Xfinity> I want to get a good crank bait rod and reel and maybe up my game a little bit. Do you have any recommendations?

How much are you looking to spend on the two items?

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

jeffturner92

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 05, 2021, 03:21:59 PM
How much are you looking to spend on the two items?
400.00 together. 200.00 each. I think that could get me a really nice set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loomisguy

What crankbaits are you looking to use it for ?  My first thought was to spend less on the reel, something
like a Tatula or SLX and get into a better rod like a Champion CB  or St. Croix glass ect.

jeffturner92

Well I'm not sure but I am trying to fish offshore on Lake Eufaulia more this year.

loomisguy

It really comes down to the crankbait. If by offshore you mean a DD22 that's one thing. A 10XD is another rod completely . 
I would look at the Dobyns Crankbait rods, maybe even go to the 8 footers if you can fit it in the rod locker. A decent 5:1 or 6:1 reel will get the job done.

1ReelFanatik

These guys could really give you some good options if they knew what lures you planned on fishing.  I fish a lot of shallow and some medium depth.  My Dobyns 704CB Glass works fine for me.  Possible rods for a little deeper: Genesis II Gabe's Rip Rap Special or Ark Tharp B-Hittay.  My crankbait rod experience is minimal.  Always used a MF before getting a couple dedicated crankbait rods.

No experience with the new Falcon Expert line, but love my originals.  I've read that the Lowrider fishes well above its price.  The Phenix X-series are well regarded.  No chance to use my X10 yet.  TackleTour gave it an "Editor's Choice" award.

I've got an Okuma Helios rod and a few of their reels.  Feel I always get a lot for my money.  Maybe look at the Guide Select Crankbait series.  Not to overload you, but Lew's has quite a few options that would also be a nice upgrade from your current rods.

There are a ton of options.  Be a little more specific and you will get more specific answers.

EDIT:  Forgot about the reels.  Wide open.  I prefer a 5.8 thru low 6 ratio for a dedicated crankbait rod although I have no problem slowing down a faster ratio reel.  Some do.  Do you have any particular brand you'd like to try?  I lean towards Daiwas, but enjoy them all.  Scheels has the Patriarch XT for $120...a $250 reel.  I have a couple of the older blue models.  Love those babies.  I assume the white model is just as good.

jeffturner92

So guys on the way back from Texas I stopped at Bass Pro and bought a Abu Garcia Revo Winch and a Duckett Siiverado 7f5 medium heavy cranking rod. I spooled it up this evening and I'm hoping to test in the pool at least tomorrow. This working thing gets in the way of fishing

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: jeffturner92 on March 09, 2021, 09:55:19 PM
So guys on the way back from Texas I stopped at Bass Pro and bought a Abu Garcia Revo Winch and a Duckett Siiverado 7f5 medium heavy cranking rod. I spooled it up this evening and I'm hoping to test in the pool at least tomorrow. This working thing gets in the way of fishing

So.  How do you like it?  Yup.  Working for a living sucks.   lo

jeffturner92

I really like it. That rod and reel cast a mile with ease. I am really surprised at the difference between the winch and my lower end reels

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: jeffturner92 on March 31, 2021, 05:12:03 PM
I really like it. That rod and reel cast a mile with ease. I am really surprised at the difference between the winch and my lower end reels

I haven't had a chance to hold the new generation of Winch reels but the older ones were my favorite reels for deeper cranking and some topwater situations.

Sounds like a good combo.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

Quote from: loomisguy on February 07, 2021, 05:40:34 AM
What crankbaits are you looking to use it for ?  My first thought was to spend less on the reel, something
like a Tatula or SLX and get into a better rod like a Champion CB  or St. Croix glass ect.

Exactly this.

What kind of cranking and I will give recomendations on an exact rod.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: jeffturner92 on March 31, 2021, 05:12:03 PM

~c~  Glad you like it.  Never tried a Duckett rod.  Most are white, and I hate white rods about as much as the yellow ones.   lo  Never held a Winch, but have a couple older Revos.  Nice reels.  The STX Gen1 is a favorite.

caddyjoe77

myself, as has been eluded to, is to have a couple different craning rods.  something a little more medium for squarebills for me personally, i want the more parabolic (and thats a whole other topic depending on manufacturer) for shorter casts and more of a glass type rod for deeper cranks. 

squarebill reels i run a 6.3 and deeper i throw a 5.1 and also have a crazy cranker in 4.1. 
BeerMe

Dink Dawg

There you go. Sounds like you found what you are looking for.  I had two Gen. 1 Winches and they were fine reels. Enjoy!